Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: A question about CC

  1. #1
    Regular Member franco0341's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    40

    A question about CC

    I open carry as much as possible. I like to inform people of their right to carry here in Nevada and a lack of a law against open carry. I also possess a CFP for the occasional concealed carry at places like a casino or if I need to do some work in the library.

    With that said, I will probably catch some heat from y'all for this question so here goes...With the rash of mass shootings, and seeing how we as OC'ers are in the minority, would it be more prudent to conceal carry for yes, "the element of surprise?"

    My logic stems from the fact that as much as Open Carry is a deterrent, I'd say a mass shooter intent to kill as many as he/she can, would target me if I don't see him first. I keep situational awareness but I don't have eyes in the back of my head. In an ideal world, everyone would open carry so any potential shooter would completely be deterred but I don't see that happening. I am torn with this because I also feel that if I stopped open carrying, it'd hurt the movement here in Nevada.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    lv
    Posts
    65
    I myself will never judge how you decdide to carry. I bet there are alot of people thinking the same question. You have stated a good amount of points. I too oc alot more than I cc but I will continue to oc more. I agree with the surprise aspect. The main thing is what makes you feel more secure when carrying. If you would feel more secure cc then oc then I say thats what you should do. If you feel more secure oc than cc then thats the way to go.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    I understand your concerns, but in reality, not much changes.

    There is already a thread here of another case where a guy kills two people and then when confronted by an armed citizen he kills himself before killing any more people and before risking getting shot/injured/captured.

    Crazy people like those committing this massacres are specifically targeting places with no armed civilians. Open carry is still going to help.

    I'd rather be left alone than need a "tactical advantage" because I wasn't left alone.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by franco0341 View Post
    My logic stems from the fact that as much as Open Carry is a deterrent, I'd say a mass shooter intent to kill as many as he/she can, would target me if I don't see him first.
    Do you want to count on that? In all of these recent attacks, the shooter was just shooting. They did not scrutinize. Had there been somebody OC'ing, they most likely would have been no more of a target than anybody else.

    Ironically, in both cases (Portland Mall, and Sandy Hook) the gunman was killed by the only person with a firearm.
    Hoka hey

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by franco0341 View Post
    With the rash of mass shootings, and seeing how we as OC'ers are in the minority, would it be more prudent to conceal carry for yes, "the element of surprise?"

    My logic stems from the fact that as much as Open Carry is a deterrent, I'd say a mass shooter intent to kill as many as he/she can, would target me if I don't see him first.
    Do you want to count on that? In all of these recent attacks, the shooter was just shooting. They did not scrutinize. Had there been somebody OC'ing, they most likely would have been no more of a target than anybody else.

    Ironically, in both cases (Portland Mall, and Sandy Hook) the gunman was killed by the only person with a firearm.
    Hoka hey

  6. #6
    Regular Member franco0341's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    40

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    Do you want to count on that? In all of these recent attacks, the shooter was just shooting. They did not scrutinize. Had there been somebody OC'ing, they most likely would have been no more of a target than anybody else.

    Ironically, in both cases (Portland Mall, and Sandy Hook) the gunman was killed by the only person with a firearm.
    I completely agree. Hell, if anything, NOW is the time to OC as much as possible. Let the public know here in NV that they don't need a CFP to carry. The more that OC, less chance of a shooting to take place again!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    There's even an account of a man that was CC at the Portland Oregon Mall shooting. He didn't have to shoot, only display it. Would the shooter have simply left, if others were walking around OC before the shooting started? Perhaps, but now we'll never know.
    Hoka hey

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by franco0341 View Post
    I also possess a CFP for the occasional concealed carry at places like a casino or if I need to do some work in the library.
    I'd like to point out that, in Nevada, if the library is posted against firearms (they all are, AFAIK), your average permit holder would be breaking the law by carrying concealed within. You may legally OC (but they'll ask you to leave).

    NRS 202.3673 3(b), library seems to fall under definition of "Public building" as defined in 6(b)(2) whereas non-governmental entities' premises don't.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    One thing to keep in mind is that it's only generally considered a "mass shooting" if more than four people are shot OTHER than the instigator.

    When someone who is exercising their civil rights ends the spree before this level is reached, it's not national news.

    Go figure.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    There's even an account of a man that was CC at the Portland Oregon Mall shooting. He didn't have to shoot, only display it. Would the shooter have simply left, if others were walking around OC before the shooting started? Perhaps, but now we'll never know.
    Newbie to the blog, but I'll comment nonetheless.

    Do you find any disparity with the shooter in Sandy Hook wearing a bullet proof vest, which I heard through the rumor mill are worn to SAVE life, and his supposed "suicide"? While cops stop a man in the woods nearby, wearing fatigues, and let him go on just his say so, only because he said he "was just strolling in the woods right at the time of the shootings". Not even a hand swab for powder residue. And a car with trunk full of weapons at the shooter's mother's house, registered to someone else?

    In OR, again, some yahoo claims DAYS AFTER the event that he was the "deterrent" to the shooter. Hmmm... Let me see, I just unjammed my AR15 with an almost full clip and some guy "made eye contact with me", yes, that would surely scare me into killing myself instead of taking the guy out. Where was the CCW carrier the day of the shooting and why weren't cops talking to him on the spot? Why did he only "appear" days after? 15 minutes of fame, here we come. WHERE WAS HE THE DAY OF THE SHOOTING?

    Come on, people, stop believing in unicorns.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    I read that twice. And my response is: "huh?"

    I'd love to respond, but I need to know exactly what it was you just said. I get my news on the Internet from multiple sources. I don't watch TV. Is there something I missed? Can you cite the news source you are using for your question?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by riddick View Post
    In OR, again, some yahoo claims DAYS AFTER the event that he was the "deterrent" to the shooter. Hmmm... Let me see, I just unjammed my AR15 with an almost full clip

    Come on, people, stop believing in unicorns.
    You should stop believing as well. Because that would be the only AR with a clip.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by riddick View Post
    Newbie to the blog, but I'll comment nonetheless.

    Do you find any disparity with the shooter in Sandy Hook wearing a bullet proof vest, which I heard through the rumor mill are worn to SAVE life, and his supposed "suicide"? While cops stop a man in the woods nearby, wearing fatigues, and let him go on just his say so, only because he said he "was just strolling in the woods right at the time of the shootings". Not even a hand swab for powder residue. And a car with trunk full of weapons at the shooter's mother's house, registered to someone else?

    In OR, again, some yahoo claims DAYS AFTER the event that he was the "deterrent" to the shooter. Hmmm... Let me see, I just unjammed my AR15 with an almost full clip and some guy "made eye contact with me", yes, that would surely scare me into killing myself instead of taking the guy out. Where was the CCW carrier the day of the shooting and why weren't cops talking to him on the spot? Why did he only "appear" days after? 15 minutes of fame, here we come. WHERE WAS HE THE DAY OF THE SHOOTING?

    Come on, people, stop believing in unicorns.
    Are you saying a determined murderer would never want a vest in order to prolong his crime spree even when planning to commit suicide when he knows it is over?

    I saw the news report video of the gentleman in Oregon that drew his handgun but didn't shoot because of innocent people behind the shooter. I've seen absolutely NO evidence to counter that. Have YOU? Are you so naive to think its impossible/unlikely for the murderer to commit suicide when confronted by such an armed citizen?

    Perhaps it is you that needs to bring evidence - or stop believing in 'unicorns.'

    And, you might want to learn a few things about firearms. Semi-auto pistols and AR-15 rifles do not use "clips" - they use MAGAZINES.
    Last edited by varminter22; 12-25-2012 at 10:48 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I read that twice. And my response is: "huh?"

    I'd love to respond, but I need to know exactly what it was you just said. I get my news on the Internet from multiple sources. I don't watch TV. Is there something I missed? Can you cite the news source you are using for your question?
    The Oregon story I referred to was one persons account. He did do a television interview. I can't verify that he actually did whatr he said he did, or even if he did it, that it made a difference.

    The second gunman at Sandy hook, I haven't heard about, nor did I hear about a car load of guns at the shooters mom's house.
    Hoka hey

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    C'mon guys. I have a lot of clips for my AR-15. They hold ten rounds each and can load a 30-round magazine much more quickly than one round at a time.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    Are you saying a determined murderer would never want a vest in order to prolong his crime spree even when planning to commit suicide when he knows it is over?

    I saw the news report video of the gentleman in Oregon that drew his handgun but didn't shoot because of innocent people behind the shooter. I've seen absolutely NO evidence to counter that. Have YOU? Are you so naive to think its impossible/unlikely for the murderer to commit suicide when confronted by such an armed citizen?

    Perhaps it is you that needs to bring evidence - or stop believing in 'unicorns.'

    And, you might want to learn a few things about firearms. Semi-auto pistols and AR-15 rifles do not use "clips" - they use MAGAZINES.
    Actually, do YOU have any evidence the guy was even there? Can he prove it? DAYS AFTER the shooting and not even one person seeing him there that day. How is it that cops never saw the guy there with a WEAPON on him?

    Do you still believe in unicorns?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    The Oregon story I referred to was one persons account. He did do a television interview. I can't verify that he actually did whatr he said he did, or even if he did it, that it made a difference.

    The second gunman at Sandy hook, I haven't heard about, nor did I hear about a car load of guns at the shooters mom's house.
    Main problem with populace these days is they only see what LSM wants them to see. Or not.

    Do some googling, its really interesting to see how it took cops 20 minutes to respond in a town that may have, what, 3 traffic lights? And how they found the guy in the woods near the school "just strolling about" as he put it, wearing fatigues and "having no idea shootings occured". Or a car, full of weapons, parked (as seen from a satellite photo) in the drive way of the mom supposedly shot by her son. Or son/shooter wearing a bullet proof vest then shooting himself. Yeah, may happen. In a Hollywood movie script. Taken on their own, each one occurance does not signify much, and yet when all of them occur at the same time and place there are more questions than we got answers. Or will GET answers. Same as with Fast & Furious and Benghazi.

    I stopped believing in "co-incidence" a long time ago. Actually, right after I left kindergarten. Living in USSR teaches one to grow up quickly and ask questions.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    C'mon guys. I have a lot of clips for my AR-15. They hold ten rounds each and can load a 30-round magazine much more quickly than one round at a time.
    Your only going to confuse the newbies now. Darn you.

  19. #19
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

    OT's will understand this line from the old radio program. For those youngsters it means how the heck do you have any idea what thoughts are in the minds of crackpots and nutcases? If you understand them, you scare me too.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Classic Flip Wilson:

    "The Shadow do!"
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  21. #21
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by riddick
    Do you still believe in unicorns?
    Most of us are unicorns.
    Suggest you start citing your sources, as per forum rule #5. It's required for legal issues & claims, strongly encouraged for everything, and gives more credence to your argument.
    Your post is the first I've heard the claim that the murderer had a vest,
    the first I've heard the claim that there was anyone else stopped in the area,
    the first I've heard the claim that there was a second car with more guns in the trunk, parked @ the murderer's home.

    Until now, I'd heard that the murderer was your garden-variety psychopath, with emphasis on the psych,
    acted alone,
    and the car he stole from his (dead) mother had a rifle & shotgun in the trunk, but it was parked in the school lot & he used 2 pistols to commit his crimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702
    I have a lot of clips for my AR-15. They hold ten rounds each and can load a 30-round magazine much more quickly than one round at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve
    You're only going to confuse the newbies now. Darn you.
    LOL!
    I too find it annoying when people misuse terms. It's been happening frequently with so many ignorant people opining about firearms, from local reporters to the President.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by riddick View Post
    Main problem with populace these days is they only see what LSM wants them to see. Or not.

    Do some googling, its really interesting to see how it took cops 20 minutes to respond in a town that may have, what, 3 traffic lights? And how they found the guy in the woods near the school "just strolling about" as he put it, wearing fatigues and "having no idea shootings occured". Or a car, full of weapons, parked (as seen from a satellite photo) in the drive way of the mom supposedly shot by her son. Or son/shooter wearing a bullet proof vest then shooting himself. Yeah, may happen. In a Hollywood movie script. Taken on their own, each one occurance does not signify much, and yet when all of them occur at the same time and place there are more questions than we got answers. Or will GET answers. Same as with Fast & Furious and Benghazi.

    I stopped believing in "co-incidence" a long time ago. Actually, right after I left kindergarten. Living in USSR teaches one to grow up quickly and ask questions.
    I was keeping an open mind to your postings until I read the” Or a car, full of weapons, parked (as seen from a satellite photo)”. I did not realize the local law enforcement or news media had such control over a satellite with such a capability to position, focus, and zoom in on one specific car at the exact time.
    Consider this to include some of those questions you were referring too.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 12-28-2012 at 03:20 AM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Classic Flip Wilson:

    "The Shadow do!"
    here come da judge.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by riddick View Post
    Main problem with populace these days is they only see what LSM wants them to see. Or not.

    Do some googling, its really interesting to see how it took cops 20 minutes to respond in a town that may have, what, 3 traffic lights? And how they found the guy in the woods near the school "just strolling about" as he put it, wearing fatigues and "having no idea shootings occured". Or a car, full of weapons, parked (as seen from a satellite photo) in the drive way of the mom supposedly shot by her son. Or son/shooter wearing a bullet proof vest then shooting himself. Yeah, may happen. In a Hollywood movie script. Taken on their own, each one occurance does not signify much, and yet when all of them occur at the same time and place there are more questions than we got answers. Or will GET answers. Same as with Fast & Furious and Benghazi.

    I stopped believing in "co-incidence" a long time ago. Actually, right after I left kindergarten. Living in USSR teaches one to grow up quickly and ask questions.
    Sounds more like you have been 'taught' to blindly believe in conspiracy theories.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Classic Flip Wilson:

    "The Shadow do!"
    . . .don't forget "We've come to seize her berry, not to praise it!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •