• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another dog attack

Aurex

I've been OCing in Louisiana for months now, and today was, well, rather sad.

I stopped over at my parents house last night on the way back from drill for the ANG, halfway back to Monroe. I woke up this morning, and after getting ready to head out to get some breakfast, I heard my mom yelling out in the front yard. At first, I though that her two dogs had gotten into it and she was breaking them up, until I heard her yelling help. I sprinted out the door and off the front porch, .40 in holster and saw a pit bull slinging my mom's dog around and my mom hitting the other dog in the head. I yelled at them to try to scare it off (derp) and it dropped my mom's dog (which limped away) and started snapping at my mom. I screamed for her to get clear, put the animal in my sights, and let one loose. The dog yelped, and ran away.

Her dog has some minor injuries to its hind leg, and thankfully my mom is ok.

We notified the owners of the dog, and they didn't even care, they said they didn't even want the dog. My dad and I found it dead under an abandoned trailer, dug it a grave and buried it with the owners consent.

Now I've grown up around pit bulls, and they are generally good animals, I've played with them time and again, and this is literally the only negative experience I've ever had with one.

Please, keep your dogs fenced in or in the house, I feel terrible about having to kill this dog, but choosing between shooting it and letting it hurt my mom was an easy choice.

Last edited:

compmanio365

Glad you and your mom are OK. I can tell you right off the bat the problem wasn't the breed. It was the owners who obviously didn't care about the animal.....sounds like you know that though. Pisses me off when people get an animal, especially a social creature like a dog and then neglect it. The outcome is usually a situation like this where the dog either gets killed by someone defending themselves or it gets put down, and it was just following it's instincts.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There are no bad dogs. Only bad owners.

You should be checking with animal control and the police about possible charges against the owners who have admitted ownership and lack of interest in its responsibility.

Dogs and other animals are the most important reason to shoot something with "stopping power." Good job.

Resto Guy

Several years ago my 82 year old father had to endure a neighbor's aggressive Rott. The first time it had him pinned in his detached garage for most of a day. No food or bathroom, and no phone access. All in secluded countryside and no one within ear-shot.
When the neighbors came home from work later and put the returning dog in the pen, he went over and told them what happened, and to keep the dog enclosed. They responded "he won't hurt you" and never apologized. Dad replied "You're damned right he won't!"
A couple of weeks later the dog rounded the corner of my Dad's house and charged him in the middle of the yard. Dad (who still has his Army medals for marksmanship), stood his ground and planted a .357 round between the dog's eyes. He then loaded the Rott in a wheelbarrow and deposited it in front of the neighbor's door. After that, he called the sheriff's office.
When the owners came home soon after they were greeted with a dead dog and a ticket for an untagged dog on the loose.
They moved the following month.

websterz

Our "neighbors" two doors down take in rescue dogs...all of them they can get. Their most recent "foster dog" is a huge white pit that had no trouble escaping their little picket fence. I was getting out of my buddy's truck the other day, I turned around and saw the dog coming towards me at a full run. When he stopped, about 6 feet away from me, I had my cz82 on him and the trigger ready to break. He snuffed and turned around then headed back to his yard. One more step and he would have been done. Next time I won't let him get that close.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Our "neighbors" two doors down take in rescue dogs...all of them they can get...

Most places, including many rural counties, have ordinances against having a certain number of dogs unless licensed as a breeder. And it is just for the reason you had to deal with. Too many dogs make it harder for the people to control all their animals safely and cleanly.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Our "neighbors" two doors down take in rescue dogs...all of them they can get. Their most recent "foster dog" is a huge white pit that had no trouble escaping their little picket fence. I was getting out of my buddy's truck the other day, I turned around and saw the dog coming towards me at a full run. When he stopped, about 6 feet away from me, I had my cz82 on him and the trigger ready to break. He snuffed and turned around then headed back to his yard. One more step and he would have been done. Next time I won't let him get that close.

Very succinct. Thank you.

But, you didn't tell us what the dog was doing that made for a threat?

Was there vicious barking? Happy barking? Hackles raised? Tail wagging? Lip and snout curled in a snarl?

I'm not saying no threat indicators were present; just that you haven't told us what they were.

Last edited:

websterz

Very succinct. Thank you.

But, you didn't tell us what the dog was doing that made for a threat?

Was there vicious barking? Happy barking? Hackles raised? Tail wagging? Lip and snout curled in a snarl?

I'm not saying no threat indicators were present; just that you haven't told us what they were.

When he does stay inside their fence he is a constant growling, snarling, barking nuisance. The fact that he was outside the fence, and ran at me silently with a seemingly singular focus was what I felt made him a threat. Running the fence and barking is territorial defense behavior. Silently moving at a dead run towards someone or something is predatory behavior. On two previous occasions two of their boxers have rushed my little 4 pound mini rat terrier while he was out on a leash doing his business. Several neighborhood complaints are the only reason these people put up a fence. They used to let their pack out several times a day to run wild. The cops told me to shoot the dogs if they were on my property and were a threat. I take no joy in the thought of shooting an animal that is not going on the table but I will if I have to.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
When he does stay inside their fence he is a constant growling, snarling, barking nuisance. The fact that he was outside the fence, and ran at me silently with a seemingly singular focus was what I felt made him a threat. Running the fence and barking is territorial defense behavior. Silently moving at a dead run towards someone or something is predatory behavior. On two previous occasions two of their boxers have rushed my little 4 pound mini rat terrier while he was out on a leash doing his business. Several neighborhood complaints are the only reason these people put up a fence. They used to let their pack out several times a day to run wild. The cops told me to shoot the dogs if they were on my property and were a threat. I take no joy in the thought of shooting an animal that is not going on the table but I will if I have to.

Thanks. Makes sense. Basically, you already know these dogs' behavior. And, the behavior of the white pit.

Last edited:

Vader33

In the words of the great Bob Barker, "Have your pets spayed or neutered!"

Glad your mom and her dog are ok.

Jamesm760

i would say about 90% of pit-bull owners are $hit... I feel bad for the dog since it probably never experience love, and im glad your dog and mom are ok.

HP995

There are no bad dogs.

Well, I've seen some good imitations of pure evil! Funny what a range of dispositions dogs can have.

it dropped my mom's dog (which limped away) and started snapping at my mom

Scary. Glad you stopped the attack and everyone was okay!

I take no joy in the thought of shooting an animal that is not going on the table

... "We're having a Chinese delicacy today." :D J/K