• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cloudflare help -- still getting website offline...bummer

davidmcbeth

Banned
CloudFlare support

Home
CloudFlare Forums
Submit a request
Check your existing requests

CloudFlare Forums/Frequent Questions and Recent Updates/Top Frequently Asked Questions
My website is offline or unavailable?

Damon
posted this on Sep 20 03:09 pm

inShare4

If CloudFlare can not connect to your server, a "Website Currently Unavailable, no cached version" message will appear. This error message occurs in two circumstances:

Your server or hosting provider is having issues
Your server or hosting provider is not having issues, but either your hosting provider or server is limiting or blocking connections from CloudFlare IPs

When you see the "Website Currently Unavailable" message, the first step is to check to see if your origin server is having issues. To do so, there are two tests that you can run.

Test 1) Try accessing the following subdomain for your website (i.e yourdomain.com):
direct.yourdomain.com

If you can't get to the site going direct, then the issue is likely with your server or hosting provider. In this case, contact your hosting provider to find out why your origin server is offline.

Note: CloudFlare adds the 'direct' subdomain when you sign up for the service. It bypasses CloudFlare's network. Some users choose to edit the name of the subdomain, so if you've changed the name, then you should replace 'direct' with the revised subdomain name.

Test 2) Run the following curl command in Terminal or Putty:

curl -v -H 'Host: yourdomain.com' server IP address

So, as an example:

curl -v -H 'Host: yourdomain.com' 111.111.111.11

Tip: You can get your server IP address from your CloudFlare DNS Settings page for the domain.

If the curl returns an error message like "can't connect to host" or "500 internal server error", then the issue is with your server or hosting provider. Please contact your hosting provider for assistance.

If the curl returns HTML in the response, then the issue is that your server or hosting provider has rules in place limiting connections from CloudFlare IPs.

Proceed to the next section for Troubleshooting Help.

Tips to ensure CloudFlare's IPs are accepted by your server
If your server origin is online, then:

Make sure that you're not blocking CloudFlare IPs in .htaccess, iptables , or your firewall.
Make sure your hosting provider isn't rate limiting or blocking IP requests from the CloudFlare IPs and ask them to whitelist the IP addresses below:

IPv4

204.93.240.0/24
204.93.177.0/24
199.27.128.0/21
173.245.48.0/20
103.22.200.0/22
141.101.64.0/18
108.162.192.0/18
190.93.240.0/20
188.114.96.0/20
198.41.128.0/17

IPv6

2400:cb00::/32
2606:4700::/32
2803:f800::/32

3) Make sure that you're operating off of the most recent versions of Bad Behavior or mod_security. mod_security's core rules aren't blocking CloudFlare requests.
33 people found this useful. - Me too!

OC for ME

I too receive this little gem from time to time.

Picture1.jpg
Just as 7.5% unemployment is the new "low unemployment", is the above the new norm for site performance?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I too receive this little gem from time to time.

View attachment 9697
Just as 7.5% unemployment is the new "low unemployment", is the above the new norm for site performance?

I think that pointy haired guy behind the clouds is giving me the finger !

Its becoming too annoying ... I'll check back here in a week or two and see if it gets fixed but for right now I am having too many issues ...

So its a temporary adios from me ... see ya after Christmas.

Have a good Christmas everybody ! And don't shoot Santa !