• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dick's Sporting Goods pulls semi automatic rifles

ocnva

Thanks WalkingWolf ... I saw the update on my local news also. But to clarify, my comment wasn't that WalMart was pulling (all) their guns, but that they were following suit and jumping on the bandwagon like Dicks.

Just heard on the news a few minutes ago that Walmart was NOT pulling their guns from sales. Walmart agreed to pull one online ad.

twpetry

For anyone who is still interested:

After Dick's decided to stop selling all of what they call "Modern Sporting Rifles" otherwise known to the media as "Assault Weapons" all stores were directed to remove all displayed MSRs/AWs from the shelves, and to not allow anymore to leave the store. In fact, each individual UPC was restricted from the POS system and these guns could not be sold at all. Until recently, all of these guns have just been sitting in the back. I took this to mean that this was a temporary measure and sales would resume soon, however today I discovered that is not to be. Dick's is getting rid of all these firearms. I believe these guns will be returned to their respective manufacturers. (Hopefully that means that soon there will be a small blip of these guns returning to the market after the manufacturers resell them to other dealers. But, I digress.) As far as I know, Dick's has no immediate plans to resume stocking and selling these firearms.

rushcreek2

My 2 cents.

This is a knee-jerk reaction by Dick's Sporting Goods to their OWN PERSONAL reaction to the Sandy Hook HOLOCAUST, and their perception of the marketplace reaction.

I also felt a revulsion to the AR-15 (of which I have acquired two since 1994) when the CT State Police official (LIED) reported that as the weapon used at Sandy Hook.

Now however....we learn that the AR-15 .....did not play a part in the tragedy.

Give Dick's some time to digest it all.

In the meantime I would suggest that they consider giving all public scool teachers a 50 percent discount on Glock30's.........if they are genuinely interested in helping to prevent such tragedy ever occurring again.

WalkingWolf

My 2 cents.

This is a knee-jerk reaction by Dick's Sporting Goods to their OWN PERSONAL reaction to the Sandy Hook HOLOCAUST, and their perception of the marketplace reaction.

I also felt a revulsion to the AR-15 (of which I have acquired two since 1994) when the CT State Police official (LIED) reported that as the weapon used at Sandy Hook.

In the meantime I would suggest that they consider giving all public scool teachers a 50 percent discount on Glock30's.........if they are genuinely interested in helping to prevent such tragedy ever occurring again.

I take it the MSM has not made this available, can you give me the news report so I can post it on another site?

protias

My 2 cents.

Dick's made their bed, just as Gander Mountain did a few months ago (by dropping a NRA event in support of Gov Walker). Both of them can enjoy their lack of sales.

45acpForMe

I take it the MSM has not made this available, can you give me the news report so I can post it on another site?

Here is a video that captures some of the initial reports. It seems pretty fishy that they reported the rifle was in the car then the medical examiner came out and said all the wounds (that he had seen so far) had been caused by the rifle!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=de3lmAD5kXo

I was shocked when I watched that news conference because I had heard that only handguns were used. Seems pretty likely someone is pushing an anti-AR15 agenda and the medical examiner is playing along.