• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blade co-carry in MO

HP995

Yes, this is half-OT but not really. Any good system has a backup. One firearm is subject to a malfunction, whether a bad jam or some other situation. Perhaps no time to reload and someone is coming fast. Or you face someone who has trained in close quarters disarm techniques. You might even have to send your weapon in for repair and can't afford a spare yet.

I became a long gun owner first some time back, and just ordered my first handgun after confirming the car carry issue here at this forum. (Thanks on that!) But I can't afford another quality handgun of the type I need instantly. Also, some variety is tactically smart. In my mind, a blade would be a great and very affordable backup on the opposite hip from the handgun. I'm thinking of a 7 to 9 inch fixed blade in a good rigid belt sheath.

Does anyone here OC a fixed blade as a supplement, or maybe sometimes an alternative, to your firearm? If so, any insights or experiences with the laws and reactions here in MO?

Oramac

I wouldn't OC a firearm and a fixed blade knife. You're not Jayne Cobb. (kudos if anyone gets the reference)

That said, I have considered concealing a fixed blade any number of times. I'd probably use an ankle sheath for it, personally.

WalkingWolf

I wouldn't OC a firearm and a fixed blade knife. You're not Jayne Cobb. (kudos if anyone gets the reference)

That said, I have considered concealing a fixed blade any number of times. I'd probably use an ankle sheath for it, personally.

Nope don't know who that is, don't care. But I do OC a fixed blade, and many people do, nice to know who the anti people are though claiming to be pro second amendment. Though this site is about handguns the second does not specify which arms.

OP don't worry about the fashion police, you carry how you want to carry. If that includes a fixed blade as a backup, it is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Last edited:

Oramac

Nope don't know who that is, don't care. But I do OC a fixed blade, and many people do, nice to know who the anti people are though claiming to be pro second amendment. Though this site is about handguns the second does not specify which arms.

OP don't worry about the fashion police, you carry how you want to carry. If that includes a fixed blade as a backup, it is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't assume I'm an anti, thank you very much. You don't know me. You've never met me. And you sure as hell haven't ever seen what I've done to help the 2A movement.

You'll kindly notice that I never told him he shouldn't, or couldn't. I simply said what I would do. If you want to OC a knife and gun, more power to you. Just don't you dare call me an anti because I choose not to.

WalkingWolf

I'd appreciate it if you didn't assume I'm an anti, thank you very much. You don't know me. You've never met me. And you sure as hell haven't ever seen what I've done to help the 2A movement.

You'll kindly notice that I never told him he shouldn't, or couldn't. I simply said what I would do. If you want to OC a knife and gun, more power to you. Just don't you dare call me an anti because I choose not to.
I did not assume, it was right there in your post. Knives are part of the second amendment.

Oramac

I did not assume, it was right there in your post. Knives are part of the second amendment.

This will be my last post so as not to derail the original intent of the thread.

Now, my post clearly states that I would choose not to OC a fixed blade and a firearm at the same time. That is not logical grounds to assume I am in any way anti-2A. You assumed I was because your preconceived notion that it is good and right conflicted with my choice to do the opposite. Again, do not presume to tell me I am an anti simply because you disagree with my choice.

Have a nice day.

WalkingWolf

The above is your post, notice the part where you make a smart alek remark, and it was not at you but the OP.

HP995

Thanks Wolf, I'm glad that others are doing blade OC too! I love some types of fixed blades, just got a new one with this in mind. Agreed, the 2A covers it all! Love the 2A.

Oramac, concealed blade (except <4 "non knife" knife) is illegal as far as I know without CCW, which I don't have yet. (And I believe in the 2A right to OC without paperwork so I'd rather do it that way. But yeah, ankle would be cool if you have CCW.)

Wolf or others that have OC's this way, here's a question:

Assuming that my destination is legal to OC blade, but I need to get from A to B, by vehicle.

(And I have difficulty walking, some days more than others, so sometimes I just stay in the vehicle at point B too! :))

MO law specially covers car carry for handguns, but not blades.

Blades are legal to OC, so they should be legal to OC in vehicle, but is there a good way to do that? I'm thinking that LEO will try to portray any vehicle carry as CC instead of OC?

Or does it have to be trunk carry? (Which is not very helpful in providing any personal protection.)

Thanks!!!

WalkingWolf

Thanks Wolf, I'm glad that others are doing blade OC too! I love some types of fixed blades, just got a new one with this in mind. Agreed, the 2A covers it all! Love the 2A.

Oramac, concealed blade (except <4 "non knife" knife) is illegal as far as I know without CCW, which I don't have yet. (And I believe in the 2A right to OC without paperwork so I'd rather do it that way. But yeah, ankle would be cool if you have CCW.)

Wolf or others that have OC's this way, here's a question:

Assuming that my destination is legal to OC blade, but I need to get from A to B, by vehicle.

(And I have difficulty walking, some days more than others, so sometimes I just stay in the vehicle at point B too! :))

MO law specially covers car carry for handguns, but not blades.

Blades are legal to OC, so they should be legal to OC in vehicle, but is there a good way to do that? I'm thinking that LEO will try to portray any vehicle carry as CC instead of OC?

Or does it have to be trunk carry? (Which is not very helpful in providing any personal protection.)

Thanks!!!
Some of the guys from MO should answer that one for you. If the blade is on your belt it should not be considered CC, IMO. Most states do not consider a folder in a case CC, even though the knife is completely within a case.

I have several knives but most the time I carry a former survival knife that I found rusted in a field. I boiled the rust until it turned black, then heat treated it with oil quenching. Added a bamboo handle wrapped with survey string in a snake skin sheath. I also soldered a Indian head nickle to a screw for the end of the bamboo. It has about a 8 inch corded lanyard on it made out of the same used survey string.

WCEarp

Might I suggest you check out http://bladeforums.com. The question of how and where to carry comes up from time to time. The laws from one muni to the next can very in MO. Most don't have anything against it on the books, but I couldn't tell you the reaction you may get from local PD as I don't carry a fixed blade.

Hope that web site will help.

HP995

Switch blade knives are now legal in Missouri. You can carry those any which way you like

I'm not seeing the "any which way" thing...just a small change in the law wording, that they are no longer singled out as toxic, but I don't see that they are given more privileges than other blades. So they are still subject to federal and local codes. And can't be concealed unless 4 inches or less. Right? Or did I miss something bigger? Thanks.

HP995

I have several knives but most the time I carry a former survival knife that I found rusted in a field. I boiled the rust until it turned black, then heat treated it with oil quenching. Added a bamboo handle wrapped with survey string in a snake skin sheath. I also soldered a Indian head nickle to a screw for the end of the bamboo. It has about a 8 inch corded lanyard on it made out of the same used survey string.

Incredibly cool!!! :D

mspgunner

I'm not seeing the "any which way" thing...just a small change in the law wording, that they are no longer singled out as toxic, but I don't see that they are given more privileges than other blades. So they are still subject to federal and local codes. And can't be concealed unless 4 inches or less. Right? Or did I miss something bigger? Thanks.

Just like OC in Missouri there are places where guns, knves are not allowed, you just have to follow "local" laws. No weapons are allowed on Federal Properry by regular people. The blade length restrictions... few places and like a CCW restrictions, if it's concealed no one knows. I am of course NOT advocating breaking and laws what so ever. On the knife blade length, I don't carry a lost in my pocket, there are no signs so I suppose you need to read before you go. (Disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer.....)