• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tell the VA Dept. of Emerg. Mgmt. how to stop school shootings

2a4all

Here's a thought.

Currently, the practice is to either flee the school building (they call it evacuate) or shelter in place, depending on the threat.

If the building is on fire, they evacuate. If they're being fired upon, they shelter in place.

In the first instance, the danger is in the building, making it unsafe.:monkey

In the second instance, the danger is in the building, making it unsafe.:banghead:

I think they are confused about when to "stand your ground".

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would suggest making it against the law to bring a gun onto school grounds and also a law that would allow them to put up signs like "no guns" ...

Oh wait, that did not work ...

DocWalker

Maybe they can have the security at the White House and Congress, They can have 6 armed body guards like Mayor Bloomburg or the Secret Service like the prez......n/a

The goverment thinks putting up a sign is good enough for the children but not for them.

Thundar

How to Stop School Shootings in Virginia

Crazy people and guns generally don't mix. We want to keep our guns so we should put all of our crazy people on a bus with a one way ticlet to Rhamastan (Chicago) or to Barryland (DC) or to Bloom Berg (New York)

Seriously though, this sort of risk is very low on the probability scale. There are much more likely scenarios than multiple school shootings that threaten our children. Drive by in the hood is much more likely to kill children.

If you really want an answer to this problem, eliminate victim disarmament zones and let the sheepdogs be sheepdogs.

half_life1052

I find it curious that we rightly acknowledge that we can't pass laws to protect us from terrorists. We therefore don't try to pass (more) laws banning weapons (of any kind) and instead enforce a weapon free zone where it matters. For instance an airport or nuclear plant. Why is it that we ignore this common sense approach and instead indulge in magical thinking. The answer is really to use security screening for all that enter a school rather than magically make the weapons disappear. Besides it would have the added benefit of providing a drug free environment. Naw! We must "appear" to do something about this even if it is just selling false security.

My solution is to install a school resource officer at that door. Also something like an airlock type arrangement where only one door can be open at a time. Bad guys get in but they don't get out ;) BTW I would be ok with shooting them too.

markand

More laws aren't going to stop crazy people, criminals or terrorists from doing the evil things they do. Armed teachers, staff members and parents are the only logical response.