• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Priority of AR-15 component purchases now

()pen(arry

I will be building an AR-15 from components in the next year. Last night I decided to start buying critical components that could be at risk in the current emotional maelstrom, so I ordered 6 Magpul 30-rd 5.56 P-MAGs. I see magazine capacity as being the most at-risk element. In fact, I think we're pretty well guaranteed to see the spineless Republicans in Congress roll over and accept a capacity limit bill in January.

What would be the next two or three most at-risk components of an AR-15? Please do not discuss the merits of AR-15. This is not about your opinion on that, so please stay out of this thread if that's all you have to offer. I want to know what people think would be high-priority component purchases, given that I won't be buying the whole weapon right now. The idea is to have these components before a ban on their sale/transfer/possession. Something odious is going to pass by the end of January.

I'm thinking a pistol grip, a vertical fore-grip, and possibly even a stripped lower (which is the only component that actually qualifies as The Gun), not necessarily in that order.

Morpheus97

I would recommend a stripped lower, parts kit for the lower, and adjustable stock. Just my .02

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

georg jetson

Hard to say without knowing the exact verbiage of the bill. If it's similar to the old assault weapons bill then I would buy as many stripped lowers as possible. The term "pre-ban" comes to mind. We might still be able to obtain and attach all our evil tactical widgets to the firearm if it is "pre-ban". Buying striped lowers appears to be the best way to garner the highest number of "pre-ban" rifles your budget may allow.

Oh yeah... magazines... Back in '94 when the old bill took affect, all the hi-cap magazine manufactures had been at max output once they new the hi-cap ban was coming. High capacity magazines went up in price but maintained availability for years because of extreme overstock.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

We had someone in earlier in the week picking up two stripped lowers, ... consecutively serial numbered with a prefix of "SBR ___" on them. I told him it was a sign from above.
Today, 3 came by to say they had lowers on order (and to have us fax our FFL).
I'm going to put 1 or two on order, even if they never get built I can call it an investment.

armaborealis

- Standard Capacity Mags. 6 per rifle for a defensive rifle (1 in the gun, 1 on your belt, 2 in your Terrorist Interdiction Bag/Bail Out Bag/Vehicle Emergency Kit, 2 spares for practice/training). 21 for a patrol rifle (1 in the gun, 1 speed load, 5 on your LBE, 7 in your Terrorist Interdiction Bag/Vehicle Kit, 7 spares for practice/training). Minimum.

- Serialized lowers.

- Cheaper bulk SS109 (evil armor piercing ammunition -- it is also cheap and bulk and surplus).

- Training.

- Armor. The guy didn't use it but I wouldn't be surprised to see restrictions anyways (like Connecticut has!). If you have four defensive carbines and four nice pistols in your safe, but no body armor, and you claim to be worry about armed home invaders kicking in your door at 3 AM, you're retarded. Armor saves lives -- your life at 3 AM when the bad guy kicking in your door has a shotgun or revolver. Get some today while it can be sent to your door.

georg jetson

SNIP

- Cheaper bulk SS109 (evil armor piercing ammunition -- it is also cheap and bulk and surplus).

Where, pray tell, does one find cheap SS109? I've searched and IF I find it available, it's priced over 50 cents a round.
Also, SS109 is not armor piercing as defined by the military and is exempt as armor piercing by the ATF. I've tested some myself on steel and have found that it will penetrate a bit further than standard lead core 5.56 ammo though.

- Training.

- Armor. The guy didn't use it but I wouldn't be surprised to see restrictions anyways (like Connecticut has!). If you have four defensive carbines and four nice pistols in your safe, but no body armor, and you claim to be worry about armed home invaders kicking in your door at 3 AM, you're retarded. Armor saves lives -- your life at 3 AM when the bad guy kicking in your door has a shotgun or revolver. Get some today while it can be sent to your door.

Armor is good... Sleeping while wearing armor?? I'm sure that takes some getting used to.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
ugh, the AR15? Why don't you get an AK variant instead? something that doesn't poop where it eats. FWIW ARs are notorious for being jam-o-matics.

Tawnos

ugh, the AR15? Why don't you get an AK variant instead? something that doesn't poop where it eats. FWIW ARs are notorious for being jam-o-matics.

Neither my AR nor any of my friends' have that problem. Still building an AK, but ARs aren't the crappy guns you're making them out to be...

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
trollface_peeking.jpg

()pen(arry

Please do not discuss the merits of AR-15. This is not about your opinion on that, so please stay out of this thread if that's all you have to offer.

You fail.

sudden valley gunner

Gotcha

I have picked up several lowers for builds. Just finished an AR pistol with a 10.5 barrel. Nice little house gun. Have you considered an 80% lower for a build? I have a few that I am working on slowly. Sterile weapons are fun.

Have you found more 80%? I am interested in a few. See ya Sunday if not before.

()pen(arry

I picked up my 6 PMAGs from the UPS will-call yesterday. The place I ordered them from ran out the day after I placed my order. As I don't yet have an AR, I'm going to leave them in the plastic, in case I have reason to sell them in the future for ridiculous prices.