• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I know...sore subject....but!

zekester

Texas law cleary states ( tell me if I miss something )...Subchapter H, Chapter 411....

(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.

Just asking....so....I am at home...drunk as a skunk....and just by possessing or carrying a firearm at home....I am breaking the law?

I know this is for the "license" holder from the state, which I am not one, but if you do have one.....makes no sense to me...

The state is saying that if I am .08 and an intruder breaks in to my house, it is legal to shoot him, but I will be arrested for carrying a firearm because I am intoxicated?

I would think it should look somethng like Missouri....:

(5) Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;

Please advise.....

Just moved back to Texas....just doing research.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Not applicable. Note the portion I highlighted:

(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.

This only applies where a CHL is required to carry.

That means it does not apply on private property you own or control, under the Motorist Protection Act (as a passenger, of course, if you're drunk), while engaged in (scary!) or en route to a sporting activity commonly requiring use of a handgun of the type in your possession, or while traveling.

zekester

so....I can OC at work and at home, drunk or not?.....BTW...not advocating....I own my own business, but rent the space

HPmatt

so....I can OC at work and at home, drunk or not?.....BTW...not advocating....I own my own business, but rent the space

Texas castle law now covers you carrying weapon a) at home, b) at work - assuming your employer is okay with it, and suppose the landlord has no restrictions on his private property and in your lease, and c) in your car. You can OC at your home and work premises, would suggest covering it with a hanky in your car.

bushwacker

Texas law cleary states ( tell me if I miss something )...Subchapter H, Chapter 411....

Just asking....so....I am at home...drunk as a skunk....and just by possessing or carrying a firearm at home....I am breaking the law?

I know this is for the "license" holder from the state, which I am not one, but if you do have one.....makes no sense to me...

The state is saying that if I am .08 and an intruder breaks in to my house, it is legal to shoot him, but I will be arrested for carrying a firearm because I am intoxicated?

I would think it should look somethng like Missouri....:

(5) Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;

Please advise.....

Just moved back to Texas....just doing research.

whose to say you was drunk when you shot the perp in your house , maybe the whole chain of events was so overwhelming that you slammed a half bottle to calm your nerves before calling the police...right?

mustangkiller

whose to say you was drunk when you shot the perp in your house , maybe the whole chain of events was so overwhelming that you slammed a half bottle to calm your nerves before calling the police...right?
It works with DWI cases so why not self defense cases?