• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB59 Vetoed

SpringerXDacp

Legislation to allow concealed weapons in weapons-free places like schools and churches has been vetoed by Republican Gov. Rick Snyder.

Snyder issued his veto shortly before 4 p.m., although rumors that he intended to veto the legislation were circulating well in advance.

Both news outlets and state lawmakers were reporting they had been notified that Snyder planned to veto the legislation, which he only received Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2012/12/18/news/politics/doc50d0db9c361f7239944103.txt

SpringerXDacp

I was just about to post.Now we can do something productive with the next governor. It will be less of a loss in the long run. Open carry is protected, and now highly publicized. The media and governor just did about 10 years worth of work for us as far as educating the public about OC in PFZs.
It took me about 20 minutes to post the OP. The ability/speed to navigate on this site the last week or so has been about 10 times worse than dial up. I keep getting Website Not Available pages. I have Zero issues anywhere else. WTF?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"In his veto letter sent to the Legislature, Snyder said the bill had a fatal loophole that didn't allow for those institutions to opt out of the new legislation and prohibit weapons from their buildings.

"I believe that it is important that these public institutions have clear legal authority to ban weapons from their premises," he said in his letter."

-- http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/18/michigan-gun-bill-vetoed/1778081/

...yes, they should have that right. They also should have the right to die because of that right to ban.

It's their call.

BTW, I also a having issues with this SLOW website...and I often get that "Website Not Available" message page, too. Not only from home on my Internet there, but also at a HotSpot (I'm at an IHOP presently) -- the site is slow or "not available.

[see attached screen-capture of that message]

Anyway, in other news, the NRA is going to have a news conference Friday (12-21-12) on the Newtown, CT, incident and subsequent call by the antis for more "gun control." Good luck on that given the anti-gun hysteria currently -- I don't think any antis will even listen, let alone be convinced that there ARE other options to MORE laws and/or banning anything.

Attachments

• WebsiteCurrentlyUnavailabe12-18-12.jpg
    WebsiteCurrentlyUnavailabe12-18-12.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Raggs

working together

perhaps now we can all work together to get a law that does not give away OC rights or privileges. Perhaps MCRGO will be willing to put their organization behind a better law.

Ezerharden

Well many here wanted the bill to die, you got your wish. Now we are again stuck with gun boards that can take as long as they want to issue permits with no legal recourse for them delaying, screwed up notifications with no accountability, so celebrate what you have won. As to lets work together on a new bil, I have to laugh, couldn't get a lot of you to work on the last one.

Yes, I am bitter about this, a lot more than CC ina PFZ was lost in this bill. Now I am just waiting to see how long until they try to ban OC in Michigan all the way around.

DanM

Now I am just waiting to see how long until they try to ban OC in Michigan all the way around.

Well, we should certainly shout ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ at them instead of helping them along with incrementally compromising OC away, now shouldn't we? Last time I checked the OCDO and MOC mission statements, I didn't see anything there about "go along with criminalizing OC a little bit to gain some other gun rights".

Ezerharden

Well, we should certainly shout ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ at them instead of helping them along with incrementally compromising OC away, now shouldn't we? Last time I checked the OCDO and MOC mission statements, I didn't see anything there about "go along with criminalizing OC a little bit to gain some other gun rights".

Shout all you want, for myself, I would rather be able to CC than not be able to carry at all.

Ezerharden

So you would rather be forced to not be able to carry at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
What I think is good about this is we had a discussion that provided a good indication of where people stood in regards to OC, something that has been taken for granted for quite some time.

Ezerharden

Could you give me the bill number and where this legislation currently stands? I must have missed this. I'm surprised it's still out there as I thought they were done until the new legislature is seated.

I am just looking ahead. Many here have already stated that by making Snyder aware of OC in PFZ's with a CPL that it is very likely he would now move to restrict OC further. or did I misread some people here? Think it won't happen? Lets wait and see.

Ezerharden

Well in the event that they do ban OC (which I really hope they don't even try to) you could always convert you r gun into a hood ornament.

davidmcbeth

Banned
"In his veto letter sent to the Legislature, Snyder said the bill had a fatal loophole that didn't allow for those institutions to opt out of the new legislation and prohibit weapons from their buildings.

Well this is at least being honest ... if he would have passed the bill; he could have then pushed to close this "loop hole" and the original bill would have been for naught...giving up something for nothing.

SpringerXDacp

I am just looking ahead. Many here have already stated that by making Snyder aware of OC in PFZ's with a CPL that it is very likely he would now move to restrict OC further. or did I misread some people here? Think it won't happen? Lets wait and see.

I'm not buying that line of BS where he claimed he wasn't aware of it. Granholm knew (OAG 7101 & 7113) at least in 2002, why wouldn't he? This is certainly at the bottom of my Things To Worry About List.

DanM

It won't happen if *all* gun owners stand *united* against *any* anti-gun parts of future bills. Of course, given that even Michigan Open Carry and some OC'ers went along with other gun orgs and supported partial OC criminalization, we can no longer take for granted that there are not foxes in the hen-house.

What we have learned with the SB 59 episode is that, unfortunately, there are gun owners who will sell others down the river. And it's even to the point that some OC'ers and open carry organizations will sell out on some OC rights.

What all true liberty-loving gun owners must do is stand strong, root out these foxes in the hen-house, and stand united.