Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gov. McDonnell Willing to Discuss Allowing Teachers and Others to Carry in Schools

Gov. McDonnell Willing to Discuss Allowing Teachers and Others to Carry in Schools

http://www.wtop.com/610/3162096/Gov-...hool-officials

The governor didn't outright say that he would support allowing legal carrying in schools, but he most certainly didn't reject the idea either.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I'd like to know where he thinks he is going to get the authority to allow it?

Antis are flooding the Richmond Times Dispatch with comments

Post a comment to combat this lunacy.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/st...987687e85.html
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's probably a wording-choice error on my part. It probably should have said something more along the line of "discuss legalizing carry in schools," which, of course, cannot simply be done by the governor and would have to go through the General Assembly. That's what I get for posting something while studying for final exams at the same time.

Gov. McDonnell Willing to Discuss Allowing Teachers and Others to Carry in Schools

Same place states have allowed marijuana use? Maybe we are getting to a point some states are getting tired of big brother. I would support this fully. Not having arms in school hasn't worked.

It's our turn.

Of course, this being he does it the right way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by mpguy; 12-18-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    I heard on the radio news tonight a tape of Gov McD saying he has always supported keeping guns 1,000 feet from school, except for LEO . . . . . . Does this mean he is unaware of the automobile container exceptions (allowed within the 1,000 foot buffer)? Does he know what the law currently says?
    Last edited by Old Virginia Joe; 12-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

I came late to the party but got in a few good licks.

It would appear that [Special] Conservators of the Peace can CC in schools.

Individuals (faculty, staff) so designated could be trained in the proper tactics and protocols to defend a school against an armed attacker/intruder.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    If I remember correctly; they may OC or CC in, or around, any place they're assigned to work.

Individuals (faculty, staff) so designated could be trained in the proper tactics and protocols to defend a school against an armed attacker/intruder.
    That's true. They are actually LEO's in a very limited venue but the Governor can't appoint them. That's the Circuit Courts job...unless it's changed drastically in the last few years.

Check out the pilot paper. Theres a front page thing on it.

Harrold Texas

What about the program in Texas? From what I read, sounds like a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Check out the pilot paper. Theres a front page thing on it.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/bob-...hool-officials

Not only Teachers and Administrators, all LAC's should be allowed to carry for the students protection.
    Last edited by Wolf_shadow; 12-19-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    As I understand it, Montana passed a law allowing teachers and administrators to go armed in school and that in their state, the federal law as null and void. I have only read this and know nothing about; whether is true or false. If it is true, then one would have to assume the general assembly here could do the same... though I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    As I understand it, Montana passed a law allowing teachers and administrators to go armed in school and that in their state, the federal law as null and void. I have only read this and know nothing about; whether is true or false. If it is true, then one would have to assume the general assembly here could do the same... though I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
    That was really my point SB.
    To be honest, I don't much care what McDonnell is saying, he's just running his mouth.
    I'm watching to see what Obama who is the real danger, is going to do and I suspect it won't involve Congress...and what bills get introduced here.

I'm going to pull a Phlip and say I don't care what other states do. They have to take care of themselves.

I'm expecting a firestorm here though.

Fire mission - leave a comment

Call to action, another article in the Richmond Times Dispatch. Usual suspects, usual garbage. Get to work, leave a comment.http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/st...e54d80f81.html
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

I am waiting for some type of executive order etc to come out. Who know hat he will try. We had gun grabs during Katrina with a video of a Marine saying they obey orders about doing it. Wonder how many will remember that little oath they swore to uphold.

That's true. They are actually LEO's in a very limited venue but the Governor can't appoint them. That's the Circuit Courts job...unless it's changed drastically in the last few years.
    True enough, but the court appoints them at the request of some local official (e.g. police chief, sheriff, etc.). And this option doesn't need the Governor's approval.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

The WTOP article has a glaring error. ::gasp:: What a shock!

Directly after a quote from Governor McDonnell, the author begins a new paragraph with this text:

"Currently, laws in Virginia ban anyone from carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of school grounds. Only police officers are exempt."

They provide a link to § 18.2-282, which is the brandishing code, and which does NOT outlaw carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. Instead, it does increase the penalty for brandishing within 1,000 feet from a Class 1 misdemeanor to a Class 6 felony.

I would not be surprised if this "error" was intentional.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 12-19-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: ETA: quotes

The Code of VA is a strange beast. If you read the Code for C.O.P.s they are specifically prohibited from being used in schools. I cannot find any other Code that addresses armed security in schools other than SROs/certified LEOs.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The Code of VA is a strange beast. If you read the Code for C.O.P.s they are specifically prohibited from being used in schools. I cannot find any other Code that addresses armed security in schools other than SROs/certified LEOs.
    That makes it even more interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    The WTOP article has a glaring error. ::gasp:: What a shock!

Directly after a quote from Governor McDonnell, the author begins a new paragraph with this text:

"Currently, laws in Virginia ban anyone from carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of school grounds. Only police officers are exempt."

They provide a link to § 18.2-282, which is the brandishing code, and which does NOT outlaw carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. Instead, it does increase the penalty for brandishing within 1,000 feet from a Class 1 misdemeanor to a Class 6 felony.

I would not be surprised if this "error" was intentional.

TFred
    Update:

Give credit where it's due, after pointing the author to Philp and a few e-mails back and forth, she corrected the article and it is much more accurate now. If only all reporters were as willing and eager to be accurate in their reporting on these issues!

TFred

You are right Peter, it is the Circuit Court that appoints them.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Update:

Give credit where it's due, after pointing the author to Philp and a few e-mails back and forth, she corrected the article and it is much more accurate now. If only all reporters were as willing and eager to be accurate in their reporting on these issues!

TFred
    She also erred with non-CHP holders and the "closed container" provision. I sent her an e-mail.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I didn't see that

Member VCDL, NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast