• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. McDonnell Willing to Discuss Allowing Teachers and Others to Carry in Schools

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Code of VA is a strange beast. If you read the Code for C.O.P.s they are specifically prohibited from being used in schools. I cannot find any other Code that addresses armed security in schools other than SROs/certified LEOs.

That makes it even more interesting!

TFred

The WTOP article has a glaring error. ::gasp:: What a shock!

Directly after a quote from Governor McDonnell, the author begins a new paragraph with this text:

"Currently, laws in Virginia ban anyone from carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of school grounds. Only police officers are exempt."

They provide a link to § 18.2-282, which is the brandishing code, and which does NOT outlaw carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. Instead, it does increase the penalty for brandishing within 1,000 feet from a Class 1 misdemeanor to a Class 6 felony.

I would not be surprised if this "error" was intentional.

TFred
Update:

Give credit where it's due, after pointing the author to Philp and a few e-mails back and forth, she corrected the article and it is much more accurate now. If only all reporters were as willing and eager to be accurate in their reporting on these issues!

TFred

2a4all

TFred

She also erred with non-CHP holders and the "closed container" provision. I sent her an e-mail.
That's really going to confuse her.

I wish we could get a definitive opinion on that, since it's basically a "feature" that is spread across two different laws, not everyone is comfortable stating it as a well-established fact. I don't know anyone who is willing to even go out on a limb and state emphatically that it wasn't a mistake, or at least an oversight.

We really need an AG opinion for this.

TFred

VApatriot

I am waiting for some type of executive order etc to come out. Who know hat he will try. We had gun grabs during Katrina with a video of a Marine saying they obey orders about doing it. Wonder how many will remember that little oath they swore to uphold.

Are you talking about an executive order from the governor or the president? I don't know that there is much that the governor can do on guns by way of executive order.

2a4all

That's really going to confuse her.

I wish we could get a definitive opinion on that, since it's basically a "feature" that is spread across two different laws, not everyone is comfortable stating it as a well-established fact. I don't know anyone who is willing to even go out on a limb and state emphatically that it wasn't a mistake, or at least an oversight.

We really need an AG opinion for this.

TFred
It's no worse than other statutes that include references, and once people learn them, they seem to work well enough.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
That was really my point SB.
To be honest, I don't much care what McDonnell is saying, he's just running his mouth.
I'm watching to see what Obama who is the real danger, is going to do and I suspect it won't involve Congress...and what bills get introduced here.

I'm going to pull a Phlip and say I don't care what other states do. They have to take care of themselves.

I'm expecting a firestorm here though.

Yes, and this is what really has me concerned and worried. This guy is very much of a mind to do things his way and be damned with the house or senate. Frankly, any moves he makes unilaterally to ban a class of firearms or worse, begin a process of confiscation would be a treasonous action on his part and subject his immediate removal from office. Now is that likely to actually happen? Heck no and if it did, I would probably fall over on my bu-- in amazement.