• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. McDonnell Willing to Discuss Allowing Teachers and Others to Carry in Schools

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'd like to know where he thinks he is going to get the authority to allow it?

VApatriot

That's probably a wording-choice error on my part. It probably should have said something more along the line of "discuss legalizing carry in schools," which, of course, cannot simply be done by the governor and would have to go through the General Assembly. That's what I get for posting something while studying for final exams at the same time.

mpguy

Same place states have allowed marijuana use? Maybe we are getting to a point some states are getting tired of big brother. I would support this fully. Not having arms in school hasn't worked.

It's our turn.

Of course, this being he does it the right way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

I heard on the radio news tonight a tape of Gov McD saying he has always supported keeping guns 1,000 feet from school, except for LEO . . . . . . Does this mean he is unaware of the automobile container exceptions (allowed within the 1,000 foot buffer)? Does he know what the law currently says?

Last edited:

2a4all

It would appear that [Special] Conservators of the Peace can CC in schools.

Individuals (faculty, staff) so designated could be trained in the proper tactics and protocols to defend a school against an armed attacker/intruder.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Individuals (faculty, staff) so designated could be trained in the proper tactics and protocols to defend a school against an armed attacker/intruder.

That's true. They are actually LEO's in a very limited venue but the Governor can't appoint them. That's the Circuit Courts job...unless it's changed drastically in the last few years.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

As I understand it, Montana passed a law allowing teachers and administrators to go armed in school and that in their state, the federal law as null and void. I have only read this and know nothing about; whether is true or false. If it is true, then one would have to assume the general assembly here could do the same... though I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As I understand it, Montana passed a law allowing teachers and administrators to go armed in school and that in their state, the federal law as null and void. I have only read this and know nothing about; whether is true or false. If it is true, then one would have to assume the general assembly here could do the same... though I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

That was really my point SB.
To be honest, I don't much care what McDonnell is saying, he's just running his mouth.
I'm watching to see what Obama who is the real danger, is going to do and I suspect it won't involve Congress...and what bills get introduced here.

I'm going to pull a Phlip and say I don't care what other states do. They have to take care of themselves.

I'm expecting a firestorm here though.

Uber_Olafsun

I am waiting for some type of executive order etc to come out. Who know hat he will try. We had gun grabs during Katrina with a video of a Marine saying they obey orders about doing it. Wonder how many will remember that little oath they swore to uphold.

2a4all

That's true. They are actually LEO's in a very limited venue but the Governor can't appoint them. That's the Circuit Courts job...unless it's changed drastically in the last few years.
True enough, but the court appoints them at the request of some local official (e.g. police chief, sheriff, etc.). And this option doesn't need the Governor's approval.

TFred

The WTOP article has a glaring error. ::gasp:: What a shock!

Directly after a quote from Governor McDonnell, the author begins a new paragraph with this text:

"Currently, laws in Virginia ban anyone from carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of school grounds. Only police officers are exempt."

They provide a link to § 18.2-282, which is the brandishing code, and which does NOT outlaw carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. Instead, it does increase the penalty for brandishing within 1,000 feet from a Class 1 misdemeanor to a Class 6 felony.

I would not be surprised if this "error" was intentional.

TFred

Last edited:

paramedic70002

The Code of VA is a strange beast. If you read the Code for C.O.P.s they are specifically prohibited from being used in schools. I cannot find any other Code that addresses armed security in schools other than SROs/certified LEOs.