• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A lawyers opinion on OC in a school

Amandat

I am a substitute teacher (with cpl) and really want to oc when subbing ( only because it is unlawful to cc....that's bu**s**t...but I feel very nervous to try it. When arriving at a school to sub teach and seen with a gun on my side i may be approached by principal or superintendent and or asked to leave (explain myself). Ugg. I just want to feel safe and make the students safer after all these school shootings. I just gotta get up the courage to oc when I sub! I already oc at the schools when I pick up drop off kids even in school office. But that's not when going to work there. All my children told me they had many teachers te'll them they now want to oc in the school because of the conn shooting. But none will do it in fear if losing their job or starting something big. I was wondering about writing a letter to the super intendant with some legal proof that it is lawful and then asking his opinion on the matter of substitutes or school personnel open carting in the school. Since it is legal and a way to keep students safe I could inform him of the teachers in his schools who have openly expressed wanting to carry while at work ?? I do not want to start anything but feel it is a right and anyone should be able to do it without fear of loosing their job or being asked to leave. I can see it now. .... " your upsetting the kids!" Ugg

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

Just do it, never, ever, ever, ask. If problems arise, we will see what you can do about it.

LOL You mean like finding another job? The possibility to land employment at another school district after being terminated for carrying a weapon/firearm at another school district just seems highly unlikely.

Ezerharden

LOL You mean like finding another job? The possibility to land employment at another school district after being terminated for carrying a weapon/firearm at another school district just seems highly unlikely.

Yea liked that "we" too. I am sure he would find you another job, or pay your bills for you.

Bottom line, don't risk more than you can afford to fight and risk loosing.

Ezerharden

You know, perhaps BF is the poor man's MI equivalent to James Yeager in his own way?

Nah, James Yeager would actually follow through on what he says. BF would just urge others to do it themselves. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is a leader or has the courage of their convictions.

notalawyer

Nah, James Yeager would actually follow through on what he says. BF would just urge others to do it themselves. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is a leader or has the courage of their convictions.

Actually, Yeager would encourage others to do it while cowering in a ditch!

Ezerharden

Actually, Yeager would encourage others to do it while cowering in a ditch!

If that is true then maybe BF is the poor man's MI equivalent to James Yeager. They would both take the same actions. Although I don't condone use of force in that manner any way. I prefer to work legally within the system for as long as I can.

Bronson

It was the same advice i got here. Same is as was regularly given, unless I give it.

No. You are not advising someone to carry into a restaurant or store that accomodates the public. You are (ill) advising someone to openly carry into their place of employment in direct violation of their employer's policy.

Like I said, do not listen to this man.

Bronson

Ezerharden

No. You are not advising someone to carry into a restaurant or store that accomodates the public. You are (ill) advising someone to openly carry into their place of employment in direct violation of their employer's policy.

Like I said, do not listen to this man.

Bronson

+1. Wonder if there is a reason he doesn't grasp employer policies?

MikeTheGreek

I am a substitute teacher (with cpl) and really want to oc when subbing ( only because it is unlawful to cc....that's bu**s**t...but I feel very nervous to try it. When arriving at a school to sub teach and seen with a gun on my side i may be approached by principal or superintendent and or asked to leave (explain myself). Ugg. I just want to feel safe and make the students safer after all these school shootings. I just gotta get up the courage to oc when I sub! I already oc at the schools when I pick up drop off kids even in school office. But that's not when going to work there. All my children told me they had many teachers te'll them they now want to oc in the school because of the conn shooting. But none will do it in fear if losing their job or starting something big. I was wondering about writing a letter to the super intendant with some legal proof that it is lawful and then asking his opinion on the matter of substitutes or school personnel open carting in the school. Since it is legal and a way to keep students safe I could inform him of the teachers in his schools who have openly expressed wanting to carry while at work ?? I do not want to start anything but feel it is a right and anyone should be able to do it without fear of loosing their job or being asked to leave. I can see it now. .... " your upsetting the kids!" Ugg

I'm sure some principals and superintendents will agree with OC being a good idea for schools. Although , schools are only open when they have kids. Imagine how many silly idiot parents will freak out, and threaten to pull their kids when they come home saying "My teacher has a gun on him at school!".

While I agree that OC should be permitted inside schools, I highly doubt this will ever happen, and I think that only because of the reaction from a lot of the parents.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I'm sure some principals and superintendents will agree with OC being a good idea for schools. Although , schools are only open when they have kids. Imagine how many silly idiot parents will freak out, and threaten to pull their kids when they come home saying "My teacher has a gun on him at school!".

While I agree that OC should be permitted inside schools, I highly doubt this will ever happen, and I think that only because of the reaction from a lot of the parents.

But open carry does happen at schhols in michigan by parents and others from time to time - there have been news stories about it, and no doubt many do inside their cars at least but are never seen. Employees of schools might be banned by work rules, but parents and the public are not. Carry on!

SpringerXDacp

A paycheck is always more valuable than protecting the rights which protect the people.

Not once have I ever heard of anyone complaining about the option/ability to carry at their place of work. What I do know as fact, is that most folks in the gun carrying community have no choice whatsoever whether they may carry or not. Until those unfortunate folks find other employment that allow carry, I suspect, their paycheck will have to be placed at the top of their priority list for now or until such time they find other means to pay bills and support their families.

Do you carry at your place of employment?