• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal carry council member to push anti gun agenda.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"No responses yet
Comments are closed at this time."

I guess they do not want any discussion prior to the event. How many times will they waste tax money by doing this again and again.

jsanchez

My talking points.....

I'm going to try and make the meeting today. My talking points are these. One, less then 1% of gun violence is caused by Assault Weapons. I was in oaklan ca. last week, with every gun law you want. 115 murders to date. Huffinton post rated Washinton state as one of the 10 most safe states in the nation. I only get two minutes. Trying to come up with more.

SeattleWingsfan

I wish I could go. Of course they do these things before the holidays when people are either on their way out of town or trying to prepare for vacations.

I think your points are good. I'd look into stuff that deflates his arguments. He said "Data shows a direct, negative correlation between the rate of gun deaths and states that ban assault weapons and require handgun trigger locks and safes". i'd like to know where they get there data. Just like I was reading a article this morning about how gun bans in austrailia have totally eliminated mass shootings. They completly left out the part about how crime rates rose and continue to rise. They skew statistics to benifit the position.

I tried to talk to him yesterday and all I could get was they think Seattle can do better and different things to eliminate these situations compared to what other cities have tried. But I have yet to hear new ideas that were not thought of and tried many places.

They want Seattle to be able to enact gun training to be completed before a CPL is issued. So does that mean some cities will not have reciprocity with other cities? It goes hand in hand with replealing the suprememe court rule on independant city and county gun laws. It would be a nightmare to know if your breaking a law when you travel around the state.

Last edited:

Whitney

Head Scratchers...

I'm going to try and make the meeting today. My talking points are these. One, less then 1% of gun violence is caused by Assault Weapons. I was in oaklan ca. last week, with every gun law you want. 115 murders to date. Huffinton post rated Washinton state as one of the 10 most safe states in the nation. I only get two minutes. Trying to come up with more.

-Police have no duty to protect, further they cannot be held liable for not protecting.
-Does the City plan on taking responsiblity for my safety? (literally and figuratively)
-How does the council man propose to take firearms from the bad guys, obviously LAC will comply.
-When will he address mental health as part of Seattles plan? (the person not the inanimate object)

~Whitney

badkarma

Great job Eric. They blew you off but you got the point across.
http://www.seattlechannel.org/viewer_live.asp

jsanchez

Great job Eric. They blew you off but you got the point across.
http://www.seattlechannel.org/viewer_live.asp

Thanks, I really appreciate the support. The video record of the meeting should be available in 24 to 48 hours. I'll post the link from this website as soon as it is available.

http://www.seattlechannel.org/videos/watchVideos.asp?program=pscrt

Thanks again for the support.

I wrote all my ideals down this time and read from the paper. I only took a minute and a half of the two minutes alotted me, but I covered everything I wanted to say.

badkarma

Thanks, I really appreciate the support. The video record of the meeting should be available in 24 to 48 hours. I'll post the link from this website as soon as it is available.

http://www.seattlechannel.org/videos/watchVideos.asp?program=pscrt

Thanks again for the support.

I wrote all my ideals down this time and read from the paper. I only took a minute and a half of the two minutes alotted me, but I covered everything I wanted to say.

You did good. Major bullet points. Made it personnel. We need to have major talking points inside a 30 second conversation with our elected leaders. I have a few. I need to polish them up a bit. Maybe it is time to call into Carlson or Wlbur.

Alpine

Nice, the video is up. Great job, and you were the only public comment. It does look like Harrell didn't really care about what you had to say, but it will be interesting when the minutes are written up and you are the ONLY public comment. It shows there's no great out-pouring of public sentiment for new firearms regulations. Wonder if these minutes get published as text somewhere.

Time to keep bombarding the city council with phone calls and emails. Everyone, go to it:
http://www.seattle.gov/council/councilcontact.htm

Damiansar-15

Negative Correlation

I wish I could go. Of course they do these things before the holidays when people are either on their way out of town or trying to prepare for vacations.

I think your points are good. I'd look into stuff that deflates his arguments. He said "Data shows a direct, negative correlation between the rate of gun deaths and states that ban assault weapons and require handgun trigger locks and safes". i'd like to know where they get there data. Just like I was reading a article this morning about how gun bans in austrailia have totally eliminated mass shootings. They completly left out the part about how crime rates rose and continue to rise. They skew statistics to benifit the position.

I tried to talk to him yesterday and all I could get was they think Seattle can do better and different things to eliminate these situations compared to what other cities have tried. But I have yet to hear new ideas that were not thought of and tried many places.

They want Seattle to be able to enact gun training to be completed before a CPL is issued. So does that mean some cities will not have reciprocity with other cities? It goes hand in hand with replealing the suprememe court rule on independant city and county gun laws. It would be a nightmare to know if your breaking a law when you travel around the state.

Doesn't the negative correlation reference defeat the argument that he is trying to make, e.g. death rates increase when weapon access decreases??? This is what negative correlation is, yes? Every Progressive Puke that cites stats on gun violence always throws in "gun, firearms, etc..." into the stat. Of course, if firearms are removed "firearm" death decreases, but they never note that violent crime, e.g. murders, rape, etc... goes up after gun bans, e.g. UK, Australia, etc... Cities like D.C. and Chicago have some of the highest gun restrictions in the country and they have trememdously high murder and violent crime rates when compared to other cities across the US... It should be about preventing all murder and violent crime and not just removing firearm deaths to replace them with another type of murder. Personally, I don't care if I am killed by a knife, gun, bomb, etc...I object to any way someone tries to kill me...

jsanchez

Did everyone see the article in the seattle times today.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019939844_guns20m.html

There's this table in there that shows that hand guns are used most of the time in mass shootings.

And semi automatic rifles are used only 3.4% of the time.

Also something I should have mentioned at the meeting, if the mother had locked the guns up in a combination safe and she alone knew the combo this mass shooting would not of happened.

I hope the NRA mentions this at their press conference at 8:45am our time. Basic storage rule violation.

Last edited:

Alpine

Better Obama who never signed a gun ban as an executive than a RINO who DID sign a gun ban in Massachusetts. However, Gary Johnson would have been better.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Better Obama who never signed a gun ban as an executive than a RINO who DID sign a gun ban in Massachusetts. However, Gary Johnson would have been better.

[h=3]Obama's Anti-gun Record[/h]Barack Obama supports handgun registration and licensing...
I know that the NRA believes people should be unimpeded and unregulated on gun ownership. I disagree. I do not object to the lawful use and ownership of firearms, but I do think it is entirely it appropriate for the state to monitor it. Too many of these guns end up in the hands of criminals even though they were originally purchased by people who did not have a felony. I'll continue to be in favor of handgun law registration requirements and licensing requirements for training. [Chicago Defender, 7/5/01]
--- http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck2/2007/12/
and more...
The package closes the Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card loopholes which resulted in the shooting out in Melrose Park. We're eliminating 17 specific assault weapons. There is no reason why anybody should need an assault weapon to protect themselves or their family,' Obama said. 'We're limiting handgun sales to one a month. We're calling for handgun registration. It's very hard right now to track whether or not a felon has turned in his weapons or if he has a FOID card because we don't know how many weapons he has purchased. [Chicago Defender, 2/20/01]
--- http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck2/2007/12/
Opposes civilian concealed carry
I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
--- Mendell, David, "From Promise to Power" (2007), p. 251.​
I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations.
--- Pittsburg Tribune-Review (April 2, 2008).​
[Obama] backed federal legislation that would ban citizens from carrying weapons, except for law enforcement. He cited Texas as an example of a place where a law allowing people to carry weapons has "malfunctioned" because hundreds of people granted licenses had prior convictions."National legislation will prevent other states' flawed concealed-weapons laws from threatening the safety of Illinois residents," Obama said.
--- http://www.icadp.org/page236.html (Citing David Mendel, Chicago Tribune, February 20, 2004)
Opposes possession of most semi-automatic rifles
Obama has stated the government needs to permanently reinstate an "assault weapons" ban.
(Obama Calls for Permanent Assault Weapons Ban to Combat Inner-City Violence, Associated Press [via Fox News] [July 15, 2007] andhttp://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.gun.html)
(McCain voted against the 1994 crime bill that contained an "assault weapons" ban [see the latter link].)
Voted for a federal ban on most military surplus ammo
Voted in 2005 to classify all Full Metal Jacket ammo in the following calibers as armor-piercing (since they are capable both of being fired from a handgun and of penetrating Kevlar bullet-resistant vests):

• 223 Remington
  • 308 Winchester
  • Soviet 7.62x39
Source: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00217
Opposes protecting firearms manufacturers from lawsuits due to the misuse of their products.
In July, 2005 Obama voted against S. 397 that passed by a wide margin (65-31) and became law in October, 2005. This act prohibits "civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others."
Probably supports local handgun bans
The campaign of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said that he "believes that we can recognize and respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners and the right of local communities to enact common sense laws to combat violence and save lives. Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional."
--- http://www.sportsmenforobama.org/content/view/34/ (Citing James Oliphant and Michael J. Higgins, "Court To Hear Gun Case," Chicago Tribune, 11/20/07).​
(See http://www.scotuswiki.com/index.php?title=DC_v._Heller for background on the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, before the Supreme Court, that will decide the constitutionality of a civilian handgun ban in Washington, D.C.)Opposed the nomination of Supreme Court justices John G. Roberts Jr. and Samuel A. Alito Jr.
Recent Supreme Court justices John G. Roberts Jr. and Samuel A. Alito Jr. were instrumental to a favorable Second Amendment ruling in the Heller case mentioned above. Obama voted against the nomination of Roberts and Alito. (McCain voted for the nomination of both justices.) (Roberts' roll call vote, Alito's roll call vote)

Alpine

I am aware of his record and those statements, however, he has never signed any kind of a firearms ban at all as an executive, even when his party had control over the legislature. That bodes well for him not doing so.

On the other hand, we know for sure that Romney likes to ban/regulate guns because he DID sign a bill into law when he was governor in MASS.

Big difference.