Thread: Those Pesky Gun Toters

Those Pesky Gun Toters

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...incart_m-rpt-2

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – The president of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. got a dressing-down from a city resident for the “cocky arrogance” he displayed in speaking at a public meeting with a gun on his hip. In response, the man donned his suit coat to conceal the firearm.

“Does this make you feel more comfortable?” Phillip Hofmeister asked.

Hofmeister, president of Michigan Open Carry, and a member of his organization addressed the Grand Rapids City Commission during the public-comment period of a public meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 18, on the ninth floor of City Hall, 300 Monroe Ave. NW. They asked the city to repeal two local ordinances they claim conflict with state law. Their comments came after the commission held a hearing on a park assessment that attracted several families with children to the meeting room.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    Yes I really love how it's the guy that's NOT OCing that is causing a problem. He's afraid that his words could get him shot. Well then maybe you should think before you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by fsr402 View Post
    Yes I really love how it's the guy that's NOT OCing that is causing a problem. He's afraid that his words could get him shot. Well then maybe you should think before you speak.
    fsr402 first let me welcome you. It does seem that people who legally carry firearms tend to be much more polite and not interested in offending people and not escalating situations, something to think on.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

MOC and Phil have been getting criticism related to SB 59, including a lot from me, but this is a good story on the good work for OC they do.

Good job at that meeting, Phil!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

I do not understand the fear that hoplophobes have over a weapon. I had a situation where a man was at a park with his (apparent) grandchildren. He had seen my Sweet Baboo and I walking our dogs in the past and knew I was openly armed. As we walked by he went ballistic, yelling about the weapon and the children and the horror and the blood in the streets...yada yada yada. I said nothing. My wife went at him verbally. He stomped off to call the police. He never noticed the three gangbangers twentyfive meters away, smoking dope.
    How does that cover of cloth make the weapon less dangerous?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    MOC and Phil have been getting criticism related to SB 59, including a lot from me, but this is a good story on the good work for OC they do.

Good job at that meeting, Phil!
    Wait you can't on the one hand say....oh never mind.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I do not understand the fear that hoplophobes have over a weapon. I had a situation where a man was at a park with his (apparent) grandchildren. He had seen my Sweet Baboo and I walking our dogs in the past and knew I was openly armed. As we walked by he went ballistic, yelling about the weapon and the children and the horror and the blood in the streets...yada yada yada. I said nothing. My wife went at him verbally. He stomped off to call the police. He never noticed the three gangbangers twentyfive meters away, smoking dope.
    How does that cover of cloth make the weapon less dangerous?
    I bet if those gangbanger started after him or his grandkid, I bet he would run straight to you for protection. I do believe he wouldn't just stand there and be assualted waiting for police to show up.

Thus the moral delema of having to help an idiot that is to chick to stand up for himself and his loved ones. The reason he chewed you out is because of his ignorent cowardace to protect himself.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I bet if those gangbanger started after him or his grandkid, I bet he would run straight to you for protection. I do believe he wouldn't just stand there and be assualted waiting for police to show up.

Thus the moral delema of having to help an idiot that is to chick to stand up for himself and his loved ones. The reason he chewed you out is because of his ignorent cowardace to protect himself.
    Yes indeed, is it allowing an innocent man to get his ass beat or, is it allowing Darwinism to occur as it does in nature from time to time?
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

Those Pesky Gun Toters

Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Is anyone else a little irritated that they felt it necessary to mention that it happened right after another hearing that attracted 'families with children'.

...it is irrelevant, and only brought up because:

Quote Originally Posted by Every Idiot Ever
    ...OH think of the CHILDRENNNNZZZ!!!!!11!!1!!!!!!