• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Those Pesky Gun Toters

SpringerXDacp

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...un-toting_visitor_tried_t.html#incart_m-rpt-2

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – The president of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. got a dressing-down from a city resident for the “cocky arrogance” he displayed in speaking at a public meeting with a gun on his hip. In response, the man donned his suit coat to conceal the firearm.

“Does this make you feel more comfortable?” Phillip Hofmeister asked.

Hofmeister, president of Michigan Open Carry, and a member of his organization addressed the Grand Rapids City Commission during the public-comment period of a public meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 18, on the ninth floor of City Hall, 300 Monroe Ave. NW. They asked the city to repeal two local ordinances they claim conflict with state law. Their comments came after the commission held a hearing on a park assessment that attracted several families with children to the meeting room.

Raggs

Yes I really love how it's the guy that's NOT OCing that is causing a problem. He's afraid that his words could get him shot. Well then maybe you should think before you speak.

fsr402 first let me welcome you. It does seem that people who legally carry firearms tend to be much more polite and not interested in offending people and not escalating situations, something to think on.

DanM

MOC and Phil have been getting criticism related to SB 59, including a lot from me, but this is a good story on the good work for OC they do.

Good job at that meeting, Phil!

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I do not understand the fear that hoplophobes have over a weapon. I had a situation where a man was at a park with his (apparent) grandchildren. He had seen my Sweet Baboo and I walking our dogs in the past and knew I was openly armed. As we walked by he went ballistic, yelling about the weapon and the children and the horror and the blood in the streets...yada yada yada. I said nothing. My wife went at him verbally. He stomped off to call the police. He never noticed the three gangbangers twentyfive meters away, smoking dope.
How does that cover of cloth make the weapon less dangerous?

DocWalker

I do not understand the fear that hoplophobes have over a weapon. I had a situation where a man was at a park with his (apparent) grandchildren. He had seen my Sweet Baboo and I walking our dogs in the past and knew I was openly armed. As we walked by he went ballistic, yelling about the weapon and the children and the horror and the blood in the streets...yada yada yada. I said nothing. My wife went at him verbally. He stomped off to call the police. He never noticed the three gangbangers twentyfive meters away, smoking dope.
How does that cover of cloth make the weapon less dangerous?

I bet if those gangbanger started after him or his grandkid, I bet he would run straight to you for protection. I do believe he wouldn't just stand there and be assualted waiting for police to show up.

Thus the moral delema of having to help an idiot that is to chick to stand up for himself and his loved ones. The reason he chewed you out is because of his ignorent cowardace to protect himself.

Hevymetal

I bet if those gangbanger started after him or his grandkid, I bet he would run straight to you for protection. I do believe he wouldn't just stand there and be assualted waiting for police to show up.

Thus the moral delema of having to help an idiot that is to chick to stand up for himself and his loved ones. The reason he chewed you out is because of his ignorent cowardace to protect himself.

Yes indeed, is it allowing an innocent man to get his ass beat or, is it allowing Darwinism to occur as it does in nature from time to time?

Evil Creamsicle

Is anyone else a little irritated that they felt it necessary to mention that it happened right after another hearing that attracted 'families with children'.

...it is irrelevant, and only brought up because:

Every Idiot Ever said:
...OH think of the CHILDRENNNNZZZ!!!!!11!!1!!!!!!