Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 130

Thread: Is now time to cover up for a while?

  1. #1
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872

    Is now time to cover up for a while?

    As we all know we have now had two very significant shooting in the course of about a week. While watching the news, reading the newspaper or just about any other media you can entertain yourself with it is obvious every gun own in American is being blamed. Given the current hype of emotion fueled by the media do you think it is better for us to cover up for a few weeks rather than possibly continue to fan the flames?
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  2. #2
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    No way.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  3. #3
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    This never really crossed my mind until I was driving out to the OC dinner in Paw Paw. We had no issues out there though and I have not OCed anywhere since. Because I don't have a Michigan CPL I will continue to OC wherever legal.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    No way.
    ....... ^^^^ what he said

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    We are our best advertising. Go about your business as you would any other day. Nothing has changed. This will happen again, you know it will. We must encourage others to stand with us against the badguys. Whether they be sick people with a vengeance or a gangbanger in the ally. Do not be ashamed of what you are.
    Again, stand strong, encourage others. The 2A sentiment is strong in this Country. Do not let a vocal few destroy what is our last defense. I have said before, Citizenship is a Verb. Be the Good Guy, the Armed Law Abiding Citizen. Be the person your Dog thinks you are.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  6. #6
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Anti gunners are metaphorically drenched in the blood of those children and teachers.

    It is crucial to remember here that despite the media and government lubing us up to rape our rights by running non stop propaganda, WE HAVE THE MORAL HIGH GROUND!

    This bull **** is the fault of a defunded mental health system, and anti gunners successfully keeping our nations children defenseless.

    This is a crucial time to be noisy, real noisy, about why our rights exist. This is NOT a time to bow your head in shame like this is somehow our fault.

  7. #7
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    This is a crucial time to be noisy, real noisy, about why our rights exist. This is NOT a time to bow your head in shame like this is somehow our fault.
    Define real noisy. I definitely think we should go about our daily business OCing as usual, though, and NOT refrain from it simply because of the CT school shooting.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clinton Twp
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    No way.
    Ditto
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

  9. #9
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Define real noisy. I definitely think we should go about our daily business OCing as usual, though, and NOT refrain from it simply because of the CT school shooting.

    By noisy I mean calling and emailing politicians, doing events which will garner press coverage, starting chain emails, and otherwise disseminating information as aggressively as possible, perhaps by printing off fact sheets and passing them out.

    Going on about our daily lives while the government and media are joining forces to control the populations minds into thinking that we "need" gun bans, I do not suggest that as a viable strategy. We here have extensive experience dealing with the gun rights issue. This is a crucial time to put it to work.

  10. #10
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    By noisy I mean calling and emailing politicians, doing events which will garner press coverage, starting chain emails, and otherwise disseminating information as aggressively as possible, perhaps by printing off fact sheets and passing them out.
    Okay, because I have been reading of other things. One gun board in another state has someone advocating armed long gun open carry marches. Just wondering what you meant.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  11. #11
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Okay, because I have been reading of other things. One gun board in another state has someone advocating armed long gun open carry marches. Just wondering what you meant.
    Long guns could come into play if done very carefully and the situation dictates it to be prudent, but it would obviously have to be organized through other means than this forum.

  12. #12
    Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Allegan co Michigan, USA
    Posts
    345
    If a 100 car pile up happend on the expressway would you park your car for a while?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    14

    Is now time to cover up for a while?

    Quote Originally Posted by quarter horseman View Post
    If a 100 car pile up happend on the expressway would you park your car for a while?
    Could that be the quote of the day?

  14. #14
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by quarter horseman View Post
    If a 100 car pile up happend on the expressway would you park your car for a while?
    No, you would just detour around the pile-up. Life, work, and personal business doesn't stop. I don't get your point, if there is a point in there.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  15. #15
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    No, you would just detour around the pile-up. Life, work, and personal business doesn't stop. I don't get your point, if there is a point in there.
    Then you are quite obtuse... His point is such a crash is similar to a mass shooting in numbers of injured and killed. However we don't ban cars even if it was deliberately caused.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  16. #16
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    Then you are quite obtuse... His point is such a crash is similar to a mass shooting in numbers of injured and killed. However we don't ban cars even if it was deliberately caused.
    I agree, it was obvious what was meant by the post.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  17. #17
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    Then you are quite obtuse... His point is such a crash is similar to a mass shooting in numbers of injured and killed. However we don't ban cars even if it was deliberately caused.
    Thank you for clarifying. I do have trouble sometimes with knowing where an author is going with an open-ended rhetorical question.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  18. #18
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872

    Re: Is now time to cover up for a while?

    I agree with what I think the general voice here is. Now is the perfect time for us to stand our ground, be a example and go about our daily life's. I am still waiting on my CPL and it will be easier to OC after I have it but I think there is a lot of good we can all do in our daily life's to prove we are not the bad guys. Just thought this thread might make for a interesting conversation
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  19. #19
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I agree, it was obvious what was meant by the post.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  20. #20
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Lightbulb

    I would not cover up or quit wearing black clothes(don't have any),BDU's etc.! Thats what you call being PC(giving up Freedom&Liberty) so as not to hurt anyones "feelings(insanity-paranoia etc.)" ! Common Sense IS that Simple! Proven by the K.I.S.S method Daily(since mans beginings/thousands of years)!! CARRY ON FREE MEN!!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Covering up is supporting being unarmed.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  22. #22
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    I think it's the perfect time to support OC more than usual. Especially with the whole "End of the world" crap tomorrow. People are going to be doing stupid things. A kit at my little sisters school told a bunch of kids he was bringing a gun to school for the end of the world. Yeah...not cool.

    I'll be out all day xmas shopping, a massacre is a reminder of why I carry a gun everywhere. If someone is thinking about doing the same while I'm out, hopefully they'll see the OC and think twice.

    Thats just my thought.I'm sure OCers will be getting hassled a lot more the next few weeks though, until this dies down.

  23. #23
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    My kid isnt going to school tomorrow, end of argument.
    That's what I told my sister. I said you're staying home and if my dad has a problem with it he can take it up with me.

  24. #24
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    Is now time to cover up for a while?

    None of it matters. World ends in 4 hours
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  25. #25
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Lightbulb AZCDL nails it! Nothing like calling it like it is...

    http://constitutionclub.org/2012/12/...hook-shooting/

    Snip -


    We need to stop pretending that doing “something” will solve the problem, and start focusing on doing the right thing. We don’t hang little plastic signs on policemen that say “No crimes allowed”. We give them badges and guns, and teach them how to deal with bad guys. Why should we do any less for the people that we entrust our precious children to nearly every day?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •