Thread: Trip to Florida...

Trip to Florida...

I'm going to be traveling to Florida by car next month. I have to assume that my CPL will NOT have arrived yet.

Is it safe just to have it locked, unloaded, and inaccessible the whole drive down 75?
    It seems open carry is not generally legal down there as it is here. Should I even bother bringing my gun as it seems I generally need a CPL to carry it?

Any other advice welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeus314 View Post
    I'm going to be traveling to Florida by car next month. I have to assume that my CPL will NOT have arrived yet.

Is it safe just to have it locked, unloaded, and inaccessible the whole drive down 75?
    It seems open carry is not generally legal down there as it is here. Should I even bother bringing my gun as it seems I generally need a CPL to carry it?

Lawful transport is OK from here to Florida with it locked in the trunk.

In Ohio, I personally, would not attempt to carry (OC on foot), CC requires a permit/license.

Indiana, Tennessee, & Georgia, require a license/permit to OC and CC, both on foot and in a vehicle.

Kentucky, as already mentioned, OC is legal in vehicle as long as the pistol is in plain view or glove compartment.

Florida, as you're already aware, and with very limited exceptions (hunting & fishing), OC is illegal.

If you're traveling through Ohio do not have any loaded mags or speed loaders in the car. By definition it's a loaded firearm even if the gun is locked up in the trunk and the magazines are with you in the driver seat. I know FL has car carry but there are some rules about how it can be kept in the car without a CWP. I believe Georgia is the same as far as allowing car carry. I believe Kentucky allows car carry as well but I'm not 100% sure. Like others have said look up all the states on handgunlaws.us.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Trip to Florida...

Heck, my CPL just arrived today! I suppose this changes things for the trip...

Cool

Heck, my CPL just arrived today! I suppose this changes things for the trip...
    Good for you! Now you can at least CC all the way there.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

An internet forum is a lousy place to get legal advice; none of the people replying to your question will cover your bail.

Try http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Google is your friend.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)