• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to Florida...

Jakeus314

I'm going to be traveling to Florida by car next month. I have to assume that my CPL will NOT have arrived yet.

Is it safe just to have it locked, unloaded, and inaccessible the whole drive down 75?
It seems open carry is not generally legal down there as it is here. Should I even bother bringing my gun as it seems I generally need a CPL to carry it?

Any other advice welcome!

SpringerXDacp

I'm going to be traveling to Florida by car next month. I have to assume that my CPL will NOT have arrived yet.

Is it safe just to have it locked, unloaded, and inaccessible the whole drive down 75?
It seems open carry is not generally legal down there as it is here. Should I even bother bringing my gun as it seems I generally need a CPL to carry it?

Lawful transport is OK from here to Florida with it locked in the trunk.

In Ohio, I personally, would not attempt to carry (OC on foot), CC requires a permit/license.

Indiana, Tennessee, & Georgia, require a license/permit to OC and CC, both on foot and in a vehicle.

Kentucky, as already mentioned, OC is legal in vehicle as long as the pistol is in plain view or glove compartment.

Florida, as you're already aware, and with very limited exceptions (hunting & fishing), OC is illegal.

xmanhockey7

If you're traveling through Ohio do not have any loaded mags or speed loaders in the car. By definition it's a loaded firearm even if the gun is locked up in the trunk and the magazines are with you in the driver seat. I know FL has car carry but there are some rules about how it can be kept in the car without a CWP. I believe Georgia is the same as far as allowing car carry. I believe Kentucky allows car carry as well but I'm not 100% sure. Like others have said look up all the states on handgunlaws.us.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

An internet forum is a lousy place to get legal advice; none of the people replying to your question will cover your bail.

Try http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Google is your friend.