• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Real Solution to Protect Our Children From Homicidal Maniacs

ODA 226

Guys,

I posted this in Hot Topics but wanted to post here also because Virginians are very "fast" on these types of issues...

The Progressive/Authoritarians will NEVER allow teachers to carry firearms in schools, with or without a concealed handgun permit. Most state laws prohibit even a holder of a CHP to come onto school property and federal law prohibits the carry of a firearm within a 1000 feet of a K-12 school without a state issued CHP.

Here's a better answer. Let's turn to our "Constitutional Officers" to fix this problem of protecting our children from the crazies and use the same tactics that the Progressive/ Authoritarians use. They circumvent the US Constitution, we USE the power of our "Constitutional Officers" i.e. our local Sheriffs, to circumvent Progressive/Authoritarian "acts" and "laws". How do we circumvent their laws?

We petition our local Sheriffs to Deputize faculty members at our K-12 schools, Junior Colleges and Universities, thus allowing them under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, to carry a concealed weapon in ALL of our schools, thus providing a REAL deterent and providing an IMMEDIATE RESPONSE to any threat to the lives of our most precious resource: OUR CHILDREN.

What say you?

Craig

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Guys,

I posted this in Hot Topics but wanted to post here also because Virginians are very "fast" on these types of issues...

The Progressive/Authoritarians will NEVER allow teachers to carry firearms in schools, with or without a concealed handgun permit. Most state laws prohibit even a holder of a CHP to come onto school property and federal law prohibits the carry of a firearm within a 1000 feet of a K-12 school without a state issued CHP.

Here's a better answer. Let's turn to our "Constitutional Officers" to fix this problem of protecting our children from the crazies and use the same tactics that the Progressive/ Authoritarians use. They circumvent the US Constitution, we USE the power of our "Constitutional Officers" i.e. our local Sheriffs, to circumvent Progressive/Authoritarian "acts" and "laws". How do we circumvent their laws?

We petition our local Sheriffs to Deputize faculty members at our K-12 schools, Junior Colleges and Universities, thus allowing them under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, to carry a concealed weapon in ALL of our schools, thus providing a REAL deterent and providing an IMMEDIATE RESPONSE to any threat to the lives of our most precious resource: OUR CHILDREN.

What say you?

Craig

Great idea Craig (seriously)

Except for two things. The cops won't go for it and the eggheads won't go for it.

But it's worth a try.

Imo, the only realistic way to protect them right now is home school.

Last edited:

ODA 226

Pete,
We don't need to convince ALL of the Sheriffs. We only need to convince a FEW of them. Then we announce that Sheriffs in the Commonwealth have Deputized SOME faculty members and that those faculty members ARE armed. It will have the same effect as "must issue CHP's". The bad guys will never know what schools are immediately "protected" by the faculty and THIS becomes the deterent.
Craig

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Pete,
We don't need to convince ALL of the Sheriffs. We only need to convince a FEW of them. Then we announce that Sheriffs in the Commonwealth have Deputized SOME faculty members and that those faculty members ARE armed. It will have the same effect as "must issue CHP's". The bad guys will never know what schools are immediately "protected" by the faculty and THIS becomes the deterent.
Craig

I'd say Danny Diggs would be the logical first choice.
Don't the dollar a year Deputies have to go through the Academy? if so, maybe one of the faculty or staff was an MP.

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

That's the only way to protect them from all the lies they'll learn in public school too. I don't have any school-aged kids, but if I did, I'd never let them near a public school, and wouldn't have before Sandy Hook either.

Roscoe

ODA 226

Pete,
Nope. He can appoint anyone as a Deputy on the spot. In an emergency, A Sheriff's Deputy can deputize anyone on the spot. It's the beauty of being a Constitutional Officer.
Craig

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

That's the only way to protect them from all the lies they'll learn in public school too. I don't have any school-aged kids, but if I did, I'd never let them near a public school, and wouldn't have before Sandy Hook either.

Roscoe

We homeschool. My kids and I laughed that we teach shooting in our school. Also I dont have to worry about indoctrination. All problems are solved for me.

2a4all

Pete,
Nope. He can appoint anyone as a Deputy on the spot. In an emergency, A Sheriff's Deputy can deputize anyone on the spot. It's the beauty of being a Constitutional Officer.
Craig
Good idea, but I don't see any sheriff doing this without establishing a training and certification program first. These persons would need to know the school systems plans for emergencies (they might be on duty when other things happen, like a fire) as well as be instructed in departmental tactical procedures to follow if confronted by an armed attacker.

Plus, those selected must be willing.

I'd be willing to volunteer, but not without such training. I imagine folks would be "buddied up" while on duty, and I'd like to know that my buddy is doing what I expect, especially if s/he's out of sight.

Last edited:

VApatriot

I'll second that by a lot. I'll try not to get on too much a soapbox here, but I think that more homeschooling is the answer to a lot of social problems, including these violent episodes. I know that, unfortunately, homeschooling is not an option that is even be possible for many, but I believe that the most important aspect of homeschooling is increased parental involvement in their children's lives, and that is something that could be more widely implemented.

paramedic70002

Pete,
Craig

But a Deputy can't fulfill many of the functions of an LEO until certified.

Can he carry a gun? I did when I was Deputized and before going to the academy as a Civil Process Officer (1988) but I think that has changed.

ODA 226

But a Deputy can't fulfill many of the functions of an LEO until certified.

Can he carry a gun? I did when I was Deputized and before going to the academy as a Civil Process Officer (1988) but I think that has changed.

Para:
Nothing has changed. The Sheriff can Deputize anyone and grant special powers or limit powers to that individual.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Pete,
Craig

You keep saying this, but the only thing I can find in the Code of Virginia is:

§
46.2-1310. Authority to deputize persons to direct traffic in certain circumstances.
The chief of police of any county, city, or town, or the sheriff of any county which does not have a chief of police, may deputize persons over the age of eighteen years for the limited purpose of directing traffic in accordance with § 46.2-1309 during periods of heavy traffic or congestion. Such persons shall first receive training as the chief of police or sheriff determines necessary to fully acquaint such persons with the techniques of traffic control. They shall not have arrest powers.
Any person who is deputized as provided in the foregoing provisions of this section, shall at all times while engaged in traffic control wear a distinctive uniform, safety vest, or a white reflectorized belt which crosses both the chest and back above the waist.
(1973, c. 371, § 46.1-183.1; 1989, c. 727.)
[emphasis added]

Show me where a Sheriff can deputize someone to enforce the criminal code and I might become interested long enough to ask how you and any sheriff doing so plan to get around all the liability issues. (No, I do not see any version of immunity for someone who has not been through an academy. What I do see is a sheriff throwing away his soverign immunity based on wanton and reckless behavior. But, as I say, show me where I'm wrong.)

Please don't try § 15.2-1603. Those deputies still must go through an academy. (Although you might try § 15.2-1705. I just do not see DCJS going along with it.)

stay safe.

ODA 226

You keep saying this, but the only thing I can find in the Code of Virginia is:

§ [emphasis added]

Show me where a Sheriff can deputize someone to enforce the criminal code and I might become interested long enough to ask how you and any sheriff doing so plan to get around all the liability issues. (No, I do not see any version of immunity for someone who has not been through an academy. What I do see is a sheriff throwing away his soverign immunity based on wanton and reckless behavior. But, as I say, show me where I'm wrong.)

Please don't try § 15.2-1603. Those deputies still must go through an academy. (Although you might try
. I just do not see DCJS going along with it.)

stay safe.

Back in the late 1980's when I went through the academy, we were told that in an emergency we could deputize anyone if that person's immediate assistance was critical to public safety. If it has changed, it has changed, but maybe User could clarify this?