Thread: Firearm laws concerning Felons

Monroe, NC

Firearm laws concerning Felons

Was brought up in discussion with a friend who served 2 years for invol manslaughter

I have a legal firearm purchased with valid permit from the local sheriff no felonies for me but,

I invited him to my house to do some target shooting and he made several statements in which I would like to find answers

1. He says he could come over for dinner my guns be locked in a safe upstairs and if the police came we all get charged with felonies.
    So in other words not only possession but he cant be around anyone that has a firearm in their possession?

2.he stated that if he was pulled over and had a single spent shell casing that constituted possesion of a firearm by a felon

so is it safe to invite this guy to my house? Is there a law being broken? What if I were OC or CCing and he was with me
    are we both in trouble? whats the law specify?

North Carolina
    My understanding is a felon cannot have any firearms in the home they reside. The felons would be the ones being charged with a crime, not you, unless you provided them with firearms. You may want to check with an attorney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    "Well.... If you take my hat. Decide to wear my hat. Its in your possession ."

"I call popo say "he has my hat i left it at his house". They go talk to you. You say its yours. Sounds like a civil court matter."

"Now I instead say he robbed me... Well popo done go and cuff you up I keep hat or it goes to go to court I testify you done did rob me. You now have to prove you didn't...."

rural religious usa
    i am not an attorney
    but you might take a look at gs 14-415.1
    your friend is apparently looking out for both your wellbeings.

i also understand the mentality if a casing is found in their vehicle but cant find statute to state this is why...

Last edited by ncwabbit; 12-19-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

My friends ex-husband was/is a felon. She owned firearms while they were married as she was not a felon.

The federal laws relate to posession. I can't speak to your state laws.

Here's some lawyerly opinions. (deals with spouses living in the same house but that's closer to posession than a visitor)

I should add she had the police over many times (domestic altercations) while OC'ing and they never arrested him for posession of firearms. He was a high-risk felon as he had shot at the police during a car chase after a robbery. YMMV, this is AZ and LE don't raise eyebrows to guns.
    Last edited by sharkey; 12-20-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Oriental, nc
    I have heard the same about being around them but i know a guy in va that i used to carry around and when i asked him he said as long as its not "on him" its good. But also inal