• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm laws concerning Felons

J-SiN

Was brought up in discussion with a friend who served 2 years for invol manslaughter

I have a legal firearm purchased with valid permit from the local sheriff no felonies for me but,

I invited him to my house to do some target shooting and he made several statements in which I would like to find answers

1. He says he could come over for dinner my guns be locked in a safe upstairs and if the police came we all get charged with felonies.
So in other words not only possession but he cant be around anyone that has a firearm in their possession?

2.he stated that if he was pulled over and had a single spent shell casing that constituted possesion of a firearm by a felon

so is it safe to invite this guy to my house? Is there a law being broken? What if I were OC or CCing and he was with me
are we both in trouble? whats the law specify?

WalkingWolf

My understanding is a felon cannot have any firearms in the home they reside. The felons would be the ones being charged with a crime, not you, unless you provided them with firearms. You may want to check with an attorney.

ncwabbit

i am not an attorney
but you might take a look at gs 14-415.1
your friend is apparently looking out for both your wellbeings.

i also understand the mentality if a casing is found in their vehicle but cant find statute to state this is why...

wabbit

Last edited:

sharkey

My friends ex-husband was/is a felon. She owned firearms while they were married as she was not a felon.

The federal laws relate to posession. I can't speak to your state laws.

Here's some lawyerly opinions. (deals with spouses living in the same house but that's closer to posession than a visitor)

http://www.lawqa.com/qa/can-i-own-gun-in-house-if-my-husband-has-felonies

I should add she had the police over many times (domestic altercations) while OC'ing and they never arrested him for posession of firearms. He was a high-risk felon as he had shot at the police during a car chase after a robbery. YMMV, this is AZ and LE don't raise eyebrows to guns.

Last edited:

Poorrednek

I have heard the same about being around them but i know a guy in va that i used to carry around and when i asked him he said as long as its not "on him" its good. But also inal