• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I bought an AR--for investment value

eye95

I don't really need or want one. But I now have one.

They are getting harder and harder to get. Our suppliers will only be able to give us a few each week. We had another mob at the counter trying to get the last few ARs, M4s, and clones. All we have left are super-high-end clones, like $3000 SCARs. If I don't like the one I bought, I figure I can take it to a gun show and make a tidy little profit as demand skyrockets and availability dwindles.

Dick, you're an idiot. Ship all of your "assault rifles" to my store. We'll sell them. And we won't even price gouge.

Oh, and it was another record day behind the gun counter. Wednesday is usually our quietest day. Not today.

Politicians are almost as stupid as Dick.

eye95

They are referring to my mention of Dick's Sporting Goods.

Anyway, no comment on the purchase of ARs as an investment?

Gil223

AR prices seem to rise and fall with the tides. Short term, an AR may be a good investment. And, in the extreme long term I think it could be a winning investment for somebody. Anywhere in the middle, in NIB condition, you should at least break even. So, yeah - depending how long you can sit on one (and a myriad of economic/political variables), I don't see the AR as a bad investment. If I had the money to burn, I'd probably own a half-dozen myself. :D Pax...

OC for ME

"Black rifles" are not the only option. There are other sporting rifles available to fulfill the requirements of the sport shooting enthusiast.

1245A Defender

Well, Yes...

I don't really need or want one. But I now have one.

They are getting harder and harder to get. Our suppliers will only be able to give us a few each week. We had another mob at the counter trying to get the last few ARs, M4s, and clones. All we have left are super-high-end clones, like $3000 SCARs. If I don't like the one I bought, I figure I can take it to a gun show and make a tidy little profit as demand skyrockets and availability dwindles.

Dick, you're an idiot. Ship all of your "assault rifles" to my store. We'll sell them. And we won't even price gouge.

Oh, and it was another record day behind the gun counter. Wednesday is usually our quietest day. Not today.

Politicians are almost as stupid as Dick.

I do wonder about the accessories, the set up, options and the price???

acmariner99

I bought my S&W M&P 15 about a month or so ago in anticipation that it would take one spark to set off the powder keg regarding gun control. I could probably sell mine for a sizable profit but I have no intention of doing so. I would like to get something like the M1A as those are still largely in stock depending on where you go, but they are very pricey. My only concern is that I can't get the accessories I need like mags and ammo - with the recent surge those commodities are nowhere to be found; and I will be boycotting Dick's Sporting Goods and Cheaper Than Dirt since they took their firearms off the shelves.

Last edited:

Jack House

That's what I tell my wife too! I bought this lovely AR for it's investment value and for the value to rise, it must be broken in first!

Oh... Wait a tic... I don't missus. *GASP!* I don't even have a rifle! *runs away crying*

*turns around, runs back in and kicks the first person he sees in the shin* 019.gif

*turns around and runs away again, flailing his arms about*