• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bob Marshall would REQUIRE teachers to carry; McEachin "appalled"

Repeater

The Donald does not approve; I'm not sure I do either. Of course, Bob is not "pro-choice" ...

Va. bill would order schools to arm teachers
Del. Robert G. Marshall is proposing a bill that would require some teachers or other school staff to carry concealed weapons in schools.

Marshall (R-Prince William) requested that the bill be drafted in response to the mass shooting last week at a Connecticut elementary school.

Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (R) said through a staff member Wednesday that he does not favor requiring school employees to be armed.

Marshall’s idea had some takers, however.

“I would be very supportive of the idea that properly trained teachers could carry concealed firearms,” said Sen. Richard H. Black (R-Loudoun). “There's no way you’d have 20 innocent children gunned down if you had teachers who could help to defend themselves.”

Philip Van Cleave, who heads the Virginia Citizens Defense League, said he would like to see the state eliminate the gun-free zones surrounding schools. As an interim step, he would support arming teachers and other staff.

“We’d prefer to just see that [gun-free zone] go away, not just [for] teachers but even parents or whoever,” he said. “They’re carrying everywhere else. Why do we not trust them on school grounds? Gun-free zones don’t work, and telling people with permits they can’t carry on school property — the people you don’t want carrying on school property don’t have permits.”

The state lawyer tasked with drafting Marshall’s bill initially questioned whether the General Assembly had the authority to mandate that school boards arm staff, as opposed to simply allowing them to do so, according to a letter from the lawyer provided by Marshall.

“The Constitution of Virginia is fairly unclear on the role of the school boards vis-à-vis the General Assembly with regard to the schools,” wrote Wenzel J. Cummings, staff attorney for the Virginia Division of Legislative Services. Under the Constitution, school boards have “primary responsibility and authority for effectuating the educational policy,” but their authority is “subject to the ultimate authority of the General Assembly,” Cummings wrote.

Sen. A. Donald McEachin (D-Henrico), Democratic caucus chair, said in a statement: “I am appalled. There are more guns in America than people, and yet we have one of the highest rates of gun violence in the world. The Governor should know better than to suggest that arming citizens will solve anything. Maybe the Governor should focus on solutions that could actually have an impact, like banning the high-capacity magazines used to inflict horrific violence upon countless American cities, from Aurora to Newton.”

Repeater

Cooch "open to the idea"

Hey, what about GMU?

Cuccinelli open to armed teachers
Republican gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli II signaled Wednesday that he was open to letting trained teachers carry guns in schools, while Democratic rival Terry McAuliffe called for an armed officer at every elementary campus that wants one.

Cuccinelli, the state’s attorney general, said through a spokesman that he was “open to the discussion” about allowing teachers and other staff to carry weapons.

“[A]s the governor indicated, examining other options — such as arming school resource officers and other properly trained personnel who choose to carry firearms — should be part of any discussion in a review of safety procedures at Virginia schools,” said Cuccinelli spokesman Brian J. Gottstein.

“The AG is open to the discussion,” Gottstein added. “Who ultimately fits the description of ‘properly trained personnel who choose to carry firearms’ would be considered in the school safety review process.”

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Gonna be a long short session
:uhoh:

We’d prefer to just see that [gun-free zone] go away, not just [for] teachers but even parents or whoever,” he said. “They’re carrying everywhere else. Why do we not trust them on school grounds? Gun-free zones don’t work, and telling people with permits they can’t carry on school property — the people you don’t want carrying on school property don’t have permits.”

2a4all

Philip Van Cleave, who heads the Virginia Citizens Defense League, said he would like to see the state eliminate the gun-free zones surrounding schools. As an interim step, he would support arming teachers and other staff.

“We’d prefer to just see that [gun-free zone] go away, not just [for] teachers but even parents or whoever,” he said. “They’re carrying everywhere else. Why do we not trust them on school grounds? Gun-free zones don’t work, and telling people with permits they can’t carry on school property — the people you don’t want carrying on school property don’t have permi

The background check to obtain a CHP is a vetting process, which should entitle the bearer to carry on school grounds. Sorry, Peter.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

“We’d prefer to just see that [gun-free zone] go away, not just [for] teachers but even parents or whoever,” he said. “They’re carrying everywhere else. Why do we not trust them on school grounds? Gun-free zones don’t work, and telling people with permits they can’t carry on school property — the people you don’t want carrying on school property don’t have permi

The background check to obtain a CHP is a vetting process, which should entitle the bearer to carry on school grounds. Sorry, Peter.

I'm not trying to convince you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
That's typical P4P though and hopefully the Committee members will understand that is NOT the opinion of all gun owners. Just chippers.

TFred

I haven't seen the text of the bill yet, but the news story I heard earlier today specifically stated that the law would require each jurisdiction to have a trained person for each school, but leave it to each jurisdiction's discretion as to whether to require them to actually carry.

Need to see the bill.

TFred

paramedic70002

Saw an interview with, Louise Lucas I think. She was absolutely apopleptic. I think she may have a stroke before this is all over.

Here's her in print comments, but the video is so much more entertaining.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/more-guns-in-virginia-schools

"That is insanity," Lucas said. "Straight up insanity. We do not want guns in our schools."

Lucas pointed out this year's repealing of the "buy only one gun a month" law.
"Now teachers with guns? Now we want to make them police officers? Come on, give me a break," Lucas told WAVY.com. "They are already overworked, underpaid and now we want them to carry a firearm? That is the dumbest statement made by a governor though this entire process."

Marshall said the only way to stop an attacker is to reciprocate, avoiding the wait for first responders.

"When there's a problem, what does [Lucas] do? She calls 911," Marshall said. "Why does she call 911? To get a guy with a gun there, or a woman with a gun there."

Lucas will submit a bill that closes what she calls the "no background check at gun show" loophole.

"You have all these nut cases buying a boat load of guns right here in Virginia," Lucas said.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Stop teasing me.

For some reason I though she was dead. She ran out of a Committee meeting last year because of a family emergency. Iwas thinking she had a traffic accident and died. Either I was wrong or somebody forgot to replace the garlic on her grave.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

WalkingWolf

Somebody needs to explain to her that when police respond to the school they have guns. And usually get there AFTER the damage is done. She would prefer I guess that the teachers beg fruitlessly for their lives.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Delegate Marshall was at the VCDL meeting this evening. I did not get that teachers would be forced to be armed. I took away that the proposed bill would require schools to designate school staff who volunteered and received training similar to police.

I don't like this idea. Too stringent. Any school staff who possess a CHP should be allowed to CC. If they want to designate certain individuals from among that group for special training, fine. But, adults don't give up their right to self-defense just because they work in a school.

I would defer to experienced legislative strategy that first did the designees and then later all CHPd school staff.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Defend our children whenever and wherever required.

Ask those opposed, "Why does Israel not have shootings in schools?"
Learn from the failures AND the successes of others. So endith the First Lesson.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Defend our children whenever and wherever required.

Ask those opposed, "Why does Israel not have shootings in schools?"
Learn from the failures AND the successes of others. So endith the First Lesson.

The NRA just finished their press conference Of course they didn't address Obama's rants but they announced an NRA safe Schools Program to train people in school security.

At least they didn't sell us down the river.

The head of the program is a former Homeland Security Administrator and head of The DEA.
That's as bad a bringing in a convicted Pedophile in my opinion.

vrwmiller

Any school staff who possess a CHP should be allowed to CC. If they want to designate certain individuals from among that group for special training, fine. But, adults don't give up their right to self-defense just because they work in a school.

I agree. I was compelled to contact my state and federal legislators this week to express a like opinion.

Marco

Fail....
Cho passed a background check.....how many serial killers would have passed a background check?????
Many folks get background checks for their jobs that are more extensive than the one to own firearms/ get a chp do they get an automatic pass?
Having a clean background check isn't an indicator of future behavior...

We’d prefer to just see that [gun-free zone] go away, not just [for] teachers but even parents or whoever,” he said. “They’re carrying everywhere else. Why do we not trust them on school grounds? Gun-free zones don’t work, and telling people with permits they can’t carry on school property — the people you don’t want carrying on school property don’t have permits.”

Very troubling statement for me.......

Last edited: