• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

why do people buy up ammo like crazy

ixlor8

I'm new to firearms I understand people are buying up ammo because of sandyhook but can the government stop the manufacturing of a certain caliber cartridge or limit manufacturing ? I had a family member in that school and thank god she's okay but reinstating a awb is not going to fix "crazy"my prayers are with you Newtown.

CTSurvivor

Prices on ammo keep going up, its getting harder to get, and if for some reason "they" try and ban certain calibers, I have enough for the firearms I own should the need arise.

That is my reasoning behind stocking up.

jegoodin

I have a range in my back pasture and shoot often. I try to keep a couple thousand rounds of the calibers I shoot regularly (.223, 9mm, .38sp, .45) on hand. It isn't unusual for me to have 10,000 -15,000 rounds on the shelf. I find it very amusing that the press is all a-twitter about people that have a hundred or so rounds of ammunition. Only 2 or 3 small boxes? Ahhhh, please...

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have a range in my back pasture and shoot often. I try to keep a couple thousand rounds of the calibers I shoot regularly (.223, 9mm, .38sp, .45) on hand. It isn't unusual for me to have 10,000 -15,000 rounds on the shelf. I find it very amusing that the press is all a-twitter about people that have a hundred or so rounds of ammunition. Only 2 or 3 small boxes? Ahhhh, please...

+ 1

These idiot politicians must think we are all davy crocket .. 1 shot, 1 bad guy down

During Vietnam, I think the ratio of rds per kill was 1: a million

eamelhorn

Some things I just cant hardly bring myself to buy. I grow my own food to can, it taste much better and I know what is in each can. same goes for my ammo. I just dont like store bought ammo, I'd rather make my own. I know what is in it, and it shoots much better than factory. Once you get your start up materials and equipment, you can save up to 70%. Our re-loads will shoot circles around factory ammo. So i dont buy a 1000 rounds at a time, I make 1000 rounds at a time. More rounds, more shooting, more accurate, more dependable, more confidance. I saw my uncle squib a factory round last week.

Riverdance

Buying ammo

Lots of reasons to keep a high inventory:

Firearms skills are easily degradable without constant practice. Practice shooting on the move, shooting at multiple targets, performing malfunction drills, shooting alternate/support hand, tactical maneuvers, could easily require 600 rounds a week to maintain proficiency.

Some people have guns in many disparate calibers.

In each caliber there could be subcategories:

a. Cheap steel cased FMJ for routine range work
b. but some guns are picky and require aluminum or brass cased ammo for routine range work.
c. Cheap JHP for running chambering drills; and high quality, premium bonded, expanding +P JHP for both training and self-defense carry.
d. Lighter pistol ammo (e.g., 200gr 45 ACP) for accurate, point of aim, long range shooting, vs. standard grain in heavier calibers for less than 100 yards.
e. 2 3/4" 12 ga shotshells for routine shooting; 3" magnum for training/defense, and some specialty stuff (dragons breath or smoke bombs)
f. Shooting .22lr in the neighborhood may require a silencer or shooting Aguila Colibri sans poudre so it doesn't bother the neighbors.
g. frequent bulk deals on corrosive military surplus stuff is great, but some guns you may not want to shoot corrosive in.
h. power ball for semi-autos picky with JHP
i. Super light and fast IQ for penetration/expansion diversity
j. Different core in calibers like smoking hot 7.62x25 for indoor vs. outdoor ranges

Also, in the last six years or so, there have been multiple times when ammo in certain calibers either completely disappeared, or became very scarce or expensive. Keeping a good stock helps to ride out the lean times. Its also a potential investment for the same reason.

So there is a niche for a LOT of different subcategories of all the calibers. With apologies to Chapter 3 of Ecclesiastes:

"To every caliber there is a season, and a cartridge to every purpose under the heaven"

Last edited: