• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Democratic lawmakers to file gun bills

2a4all

Yeah, you can guess where this is going... None appearing on the LIS site yet.

One to add civil liability onto the victim of a gun theft, for any subsequent crimes committed by the thief, and one to make it a crime not to report a gun theft.

TFred

State Democratic lawmakers to file gun bills
While such statutes may seem to burden the law abiding, they provide effective tools to prosecute straw buyers (one who buys a gun on behalf of a prohibited person). They often claim the gun was stolen when the purchase is traced to them after the gun is recovered at a crime scene.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While such statutes may seem to burden the law abiding, they provide effective tools to prosecute straw buyers (one who buys a gun on behalf of a prohibited person). They often claim the gun was stolen when the purchase is traced to them after the gun is recovered at a crime scene.

You're saying you approve of those bills?

2a4all

You're saying you approve of those bills?
As far as civil liability is concerned, one may already be liable if it can be shown that a stolen firearm that wasn't properly stored was used to inflict harm by the thief. Even if the case is tossed, you might still be out big bucks from defending against it. One's homeowner's policy might cover the loss, but not follow-on liability claims. And not too many lawyers defend civil suits on a contingency basis.

As far as a requirement to report a stolen firearm, that could be a good thing, except of course if someone stole your prohibited weapon, or one you bought at a private sale that was used in a crime or was already stolen. I am not in favor of being told legislatively what constitutes "proper storage", but if compliance with such a statute gave me immunity from civil/criminal liability, I might view it differently.

TFred

I'll get on board with civil liability for gun thefts right after they add civil liability for car thefts, baseball bat thefts, crowbar thefts, axe thefts, rope thefts, candlestick thefts, etc., etc., etc.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As far as civil liability is concerned, one may already be liable if it can be shown that a stolen firearm that wasn't properly stored was used to inflict harm by the thief. Even if the case is tossed, you might still be out big bucks from defending against it. One's homeowner's policy might cover the loss, but not follow-on liability claims. And not too many lawyers defend civil suits on a contingency basis.

As far as a requirement to report a stolen firearm, that could be a good thing, except of course if someone stole your prohibited weapon, or one you bought at a private sale that was used in a crime or was already stolen. I am not in favor of being told legislatively what constitutes "proper storage", but if compliance with such a statute gave me immunity from civil/criminal liability, I might view it differently.

Since no one or thing has absolute immunity in Va. and can only mitigate their liability, I guess you aren't in favor.

Thundar

I am not as concerned about the reporting of stolen firearms as I am about having to report the guns lost in tragic boating accidents. Seems we have a huge nuber of those in Virginia.

The slippery slope is the requirement to document the sale of private firearms. Of course that leads to the eventual prohibition of private sales and the requirement to transfer all firearms via an FFL.

Fight will all your fury each and every attempt by the gun grabbers to in any way harm or inconvenience those that exercise their right to keep and bear arms.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am not as concerned about the reporting of stolen firearms as I am about having to report the guns lost in tragic boating accidents. Seems we have a huge nuber of those in Virginia.

The slippery slope is the requirement to document the sale of private firearms. Of course that leads to the eventual prohibition of private sales and the requirement to transfer all firearms via an FFL.

Fight will all your fury each and every attempt by the gun grabbers to in any way harm or inconvenience those that exercise their right to keep and bear arms.

I used to think 2a4all was borderline Thundar, but after meeting him, I completely changed my opinion. He's right there with the rest of us. What he's saying is what any sane person would think and would be correct if we were playing in a straight game. The problem is that if you give an inch it will be distorted to a mile.

The 1000 foot GFZ is a good example. It was intended to keep drugs and guns used by criminals, away from schools. It was so poorly written though, it's been twisted by the Anti's to make criminals out of law abiding Citizens.

The bottom line is never agree to any new regulation, no matter how good it looks on the surface.

2a4all

I used to think 2a4all was borderline Thundar, but after meeting him, I completely changed my opinion. He's right there with the rest of us. What he's saying is what any sane person would think and would be correct if we were playing in a straight game. The problem is that if you give an inch it will be distorted to a mile.

The 1000 foot GFZ is a good example. It was intended to keep drugs and guns used by criminals, away from schools. It was so poorly written though, it's been twisted by the Anti's to make criminals out of law abiding Citizens.

The bottom line is never agree to any new regulation, no matter how good it looks on the surface.
Thanks, Peter.

TFred

I don't think this fear is any longer the slippery slope. I think this is very high on the list of changes that the Obama administration is trying to push out. If they succeed, I expect that we will soon be required to keep and produce upon demand, a bill of sale for each and every firearm in our possession.

TFred