• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open/Conceal carry in public library?

ZXguy

I went to the Lexington Public Library tonight and I saw this...

hoLq3.jpg

It was interesting that there was no reference to OC here, but I'm curious about concealed. Can they restrict concealed in the public library?

Just curious...

Every time I think I understand the law, something makes me question whether or not I actually understand it.

ZXguy

ok, so I guess KRS 237.115 says they can disallow concealed but there's no punishment for violation unless someone refuses to leave after being asked? Right?

self preservation

"Unless otherwise specifically provided by the Kentucky Revised Statutes or applicable federal law, no criminal penalty shall attach to carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon with a permit at any location at which an unconcealed firearm or other deadly weapon may be constitutionally carried."

KRS 65.870 is where a library would apply. If they have done everything correctly (signs posted at EVERY door, an ordinance that is in compliance with state law,etc) then yes, they can prohibit CC but not OC.

self preservation

ok, so I guess KRS 237.115 says they can disallow concealed but there's no punishment for violation unless someone refuses to leave after being asked? Right?

When you take pieces of 237.115 and pieces of 65.870 and put all the pieces together...your statement is correct.

ZXguy

When you take pieces of 237.115 and pieces of 65.870 and put all the pieces together...your statement is correct.

I am mostly carrying concealed these days and am not generally one to cause a scene or want to attract much personal attention, but I would be curious how they would respond if I walked in while OCing.

This concealed rule they have annoys me a bit because, and no doubt you feel the same, the "bad guys" aren't going to pay attention to a little laser printed sign.

DocWalker

auhh the liberal theory that a criminal or mass murder will actually read a piece of paper and go elsewhere. You just have to love their mental process or better yet lack of it.

self preservation

I am mostly carrying concealed these days and am not generally one to cause a scene or want to attract much personal attention, but I would be curious how they would respond if I walked in while OCing.

This concealed rule they have annoys me a bit because, and no doubt you feel the same, the "bad guys" aren't going to pay attention to a little laser printed sign.

I would be curious how they would respond if I walked in while OCing

If it's a City, County or urban County gov't building, they can "feel" how ever they like. They can "respond" by being a dick to you. But they can't restrict you from OC'ing. And no, bad guys don't care about a sign. We all know that. This is just me but if I see a "no CC" sign that is just a rule and not a law (like CC in a police station-Law) If I want, I still CC regardless. Worse they can do is have you leave. Plus if you CC the "proper" way, no one will know you are CC in the first place.

But most the the time I OC in these places. Sometimes they will repeal their "no CC" when people OC instead.

Last edited:

Brian D.

The Covington branch of the Kenton County Library has a 'No Guns' sign that references a city ordinance which, to the best of my ability to look up, does NOT exist. That branch at least has a city cop detailed to it pretty much full time. Doesn't help with getting to/from the place though does it?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I went to the Lexington Public Library tonight and I saw this...

View attachment 9707

It was interesting that there was no reference to OC here, but I'm curious about concealed. Can they restrict concealed in the public library?

Just curious...

Every time I think I understand the law, something makes me question whether or not I actually understand it.

This is where we need Gutshot! Where are you?

Libraries are what are known as "special taxing districts." Some of these are created by the State and some are created by the county the district will be in. There is really NO oversight involved, and it is a bad case of taxation without representation in many cases. Libraries are independent districts as far as I can tell.

Here is a statute where you can find all statutes that are applicable to "taxing districts."
http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/065-00/180.PDF

Here is an interesting news article on "special taxing districts" and how they are conducting a state-wide audit of them.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/nkypolitics/2012/06/06/special-taxing-districts-to-get-scrutiny/

I would assume all libraries would be under the control of the Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives, which means they would need an administrative regulation to ban the carrying of concealed weapons.

I have been researching this when I have the time (which hasn't been often) because my local library has some signage posted that I don't believe should be posted. When I have more information I will inform, but you can research yourself by simply searching "special taxing districts in Kentucky" or "special taxing libraries in Kentucky."

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The Covington branch of the Kenton County Library has a 'No Guns' sign that references a city ordinance which, to the best of my ability to look up, does NOT exist. That branch at least has a city cop detailed to it pretty much full time. Doesn't help with getting to/from the place though does it?

If they have an ordinance that is in violation of KRS 65.870 they can be sued after the 12th of January. These libraries like to claim they are a part of the county government when it is convenient, and then they like to claim they are a part of the city government when it is convenient.

These "special taxing districts" have went so long with nearly NO oversight that they believe they can do anything they please.