• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missouri representatives introduce armed teachers bill.

Superlite27

Kudos to Representative Kelley who "gets it" and understands the need for teachers to have the ability to protect their students.

http://www.kbia.org/post/missouri-lawmakers-propose-allowing-armed-teachers

This will obviously result in the inevitable comments about the dangers of cowboy vigilante teachers wounding children with stray bullets loosed in a hail of gunfire.

Whenever I encounter these comments in discussions, I always reply with my typical acidic sarcasm, "Oh yeah. We don't want teachers shooting back. They could inadvertantly graze someone with an accidental miss......

...Much better to let a lunatic intentionally shoot them in the head until everyone in the room is dead. That's a preferable alternative."

OC for ME

I may be misunderstanding the statute, however it does not appear that it is unlawful to carry a concealed firearm on school property, even inside the building.

571.030 - Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--penalties.

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

5. Subdivisions (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8), (9), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to section 563.031.

571.107. - Endorsement does not authorize concealed firearms, where--penalty for violation.

1. A concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121.....

(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

563.031 - Use of force in defense of persons. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5630000031.HTM

Right2BearFTW

I may be misunderstanding the statute, however it does not appear that it is unlawful to carry a concealed firearm on school property, even inside the building.

I remember noticing this myself. Was that taken from the Missouri statutes or a local municipality? Anyone else know anything about this?

Redbaron007

IIRC, this is where the gray area comes into play....the FED GFSZ and the state CCW. You are correct from the state side, it isn't unlawful....however, there is much debate as to whether the fed GFSZ is still in place. I haven't seen any court cases that give a leaning one way or another. I would like to see clarification on this issue and if they have a proposed law to clarify it, that would be better.

HP995

But the school officials might be anti-gun, so the teacher couldn't get permission. Definitely the law needs changing so that schools (and churches, etc) are not target zones, and teachers or other employees (and visitors, church worshippers, whatever) could carry weapons there legally if they can carry legally elsewhere.

Schools could still put up no weapon signs if they want, but it would be a standard CCW situation where violation is not a huge deal.

And...maybe OC for teachers would help with unruly classroom behavior. ;) Just kidding.

I agree with Ann Coulter's column that CCW is perfect for places like churches and schools.

I also believe in OC everywhere. It would be good to have a mixture of OC and CCW in places that get targeted. That way if a postal person sees an obvious guard or armed citizen and picks him off, the CCW people can still respond.

That's a tactical consideration...but my personal belief is OC, and I think if enough people OC, the perp won't try to hit the school or church in the first place. So we really need to change those laws to take such places off the "no carry" list. If they don't look so soft, cowards will steer clear.

OC for ME

IIRC, this is where the gray area comes into play....the FED GFSZ and the state CCW. You are correct from the state side, it isn't unlawful....however, there is much debate as to whether the fed GFSZ is still in place. I haven't seen any court cases that give a leaning one way or another. I would like to see clarification on this issue and if they have a proposed law to clarify it, that would be better.
Well.....

18 USC § 922 Unlawful acts (q)

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(2)(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(2)(B)(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
Seems pretty clear to me.

OC for ME

Finally:

571.107.2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.
Cops don't like LACs being lawfully armed in a school, or on school grounds. Sadly, even before last Friday, you will get cuffed and stuffed. I assure you that there is not a single cop that will know that being a CCW holder and being on school grounds is not unlawful until you refuse to leave.

I think that I will pass along this information to my local school board and my kid's school(s).

I'll get back to you if they respond.

Right2BearFTW

Well.....

Finally:

Cops don't like LACs being lawfully armed in a school, or on school grounds. Sadly, even before last Friday, you will get cuffed and stuffed. I assure you that there is not a single cop that will know that being a CCW holder and being on school grounds is not unlawful until you refuse to leave.

I think that I will pass along this information to my local school board and my kid's school(s).

I'll get back to you if they respond.

Thanks for your help guys!

OC for ME

Well, not finally, but finally now:

Wentzville City Code:

SECTION 210.250: WEAPONS -- CARRYING CONCEALED -- OTHER UNLAWFUL USE

A. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he/she knowingly:

7. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

D. Subparagraphs (1), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to Sections 571.101 to 571.121, RSMo., or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another State or political subdivision of another State.

E. Subparagraphs (3), (4), (5), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to Section 563.031, RSMo.
Hmm.....

Oramac

You are correct, as you pointed out in a later post.

That said, as it stands, the school can and will fire said teacher (or faculty) if they get even a hint that they MIGHT have a firearm.

Redbaron007

Well.....
18 USC § 922 Unlawful acts (q)

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(2)(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(2)(B)(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

That little word 'license' is the one that causes the most conversation. CCWs are permits/endorsements, not a license, or so the discussions have gone.

I don't know the answer, but I have several discussions that reach no positive conclusion. There have a been a couple of cases that reference this, but I am not able to recall them.

Bottom line....carry on school grounds and get noticed...you will draw attention and have to do some explaining. I will promise if you refuse or provide resistance, your pocket book will need to be opened to fight the battle. It's anecdotal, but most (95%) of the administrative educators I know, are anti-gun. They would love to use a LAC to promote their anti-gun agenda.

I spoke with a teacher last night who allowed their CCW to expire three years ago, they are getting it in January. When employed in Atlanta, they carried one everyday to class. They have said they will carry, permission or not. We'll see what happens. :uhoh:

Last edited:

Right2BearFTW

That little word 'license' is the one that causes the most conversation. CCWs are permits/endorsements, not a license, or so the discussions have gone.

I don't know the answer, but I have several discussions that reach no positive conclusion. There have a been a couple of cases that reference this, but I am not able to recall them.

Bottom line....carry on school grounds and get noticed...you will draw attention and have to do some explaining. I will promise if you refuse or provide resistance, your pocket book will need to be opened to fight the battle. It's anecdotal, but most (95%) of the administrative educators are anti-gun. They would love to use a LAC to promote their anti-gun agenda.

I spoke with a teacher last night who allowed their CCW to expire three years ago, they are getting it in January. When employed in Atlanta, they carried one everyday to class. They have said they will carry, permission or not. We'll see what happens. :uhoh:

Very interesting. Anyone else have a take on this?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...This will obviously result in the inevitable comments about the dangers of cowboy vigilante teachers wounding children with stray bullets loosed in a hail of gunfire...

And even if this were a possibility, it is still better than a government-mandated massacre because return fire was outlawed.

NeoShade

Take this as you will, but this is from the Attorney General's office. I emailed asking basically this question last year.

ME:
If I have a valid Missouri concealed carry permit, according to RSMO 571.107.2, all previous sections of RSMO 571.107.1 sections 1-17 will not be a criminal act, but civil. This would include carrying on elementary schools, College, churches, hospitals, etc. Is this correct? I understand that if for some reason they realized that I was carrying, I would be asked to leave, and if I refused, would then become liable under 571.107.2.The following are links to these statutes.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.

Dear Mr. [redacted]

Thank you for your inquiry. Attorney General Koster has asked that I respond.

Section 571.107 provides that even with a ccw, the permit holder is not authorized to carry concealed weapons into the places mentioned from Sections 571.107.1(1) to (17). If a permit holder enters any of these places, he may be denied entry or removed. The statute specifies that this is not a criminal act. However, if the permit holder refuses to leave, Section 571.101.2 provides for citations and fines upon subsequent violations. Section 571.101.2 further contemplates charges arising from the citation:

Upon conviction of charges arising from a citation issued pursuant to this subsection, the court shall notify the sheriff of the county which issued the certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement and the department of revenue.

If we may be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Joseph Schlotzhauer
Assistant Attorney General

Division of Public Safety
Missouri Attorney General's Office

Right2BearFTW

Take this as you will, but this is from the Attorney General's office. I emailed asking basically this question last year.

ME:
If I have a valid Missouri concealed carry permit, according to RSMO 571.107.2, all previous sections of RSMO 571.107.1 sections 1-17 will not be a criminal act, but civil. This would include carrying on elementary schools, College, churches, hospitals, etc. Is this correct? I understand that if for some reason they realized that I was carrying, I would be asked to leave, and if I refused, would then become liable under 571.107.2.The following are links to these statutes.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.

Dear Mr. [redacted]

Section 571.107 provides that even with a ccw, the permit holder is not authorized to carry concealed weapons into the places mentioned from Sections 571.107.1(1) to (17). If a permit holder enters any of these places, he may be denied entry or removed. The statute specifies that this is not a criminal act. However, if the permit holder refuses to leave, Section 571.101.2 provides for citations and fines upon subsequent violations. Section 571.101.2 further contemplates charges arising from the citation:

Upon conviction of charges arising from a citation issued pursuant to this subsection, the court shall notify the sheriff of the county which issued the certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement and the department of revenue.

Sincerely,

Joseph Schlotzhauer

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification!

NeoShade

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification!

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my post as Gospel, but the law seems simple enough to me. The only problem is that 95% of LEO will still tackle/shoot/jail you because they don't know the laws well enough. Then you will have to fight it in court, spend money on your defense, and luckily would win and could set precedence. After Sandy Hook though, who knows who would shoot you. Maybe even a scared teacher/parent.

Right2BearFTW

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my post as Gospel, but the law seems simple enough to me. The only problem is that 95% of LEO will still tackle/shoot/jail you because they don't know the laws well enough. Then you will have to fight it in court, spend money on your defense, and luckily would win and could set precedence. After Sandy Hook though, who knows who would shoot you. Maybe even a scared teacher/parent.

Thanks! I wasn't planning on carrying on school grounds or anything like that anyway. I was just curious on what was actually allowed legally.

OC for ME

<snip> Dear Mr. [redacted]

Sincerely,

Joseph Schlotzhauer

The AAG did not answer the question, he bolded what we can clearly read for ourselves. Send him a reply that points out the "may" in the text he apparently bolded above. Have him provide a "opinion" on what that term means AND when does that term come into play.

If the principle, for a lack of a more accurate term, authorizes you to carry, in writing, with your endorsement on school property, have the AAG explain what the implications are if you get permission to carry on school property in writing. What should/would the AG expect local LE to do if a local LEO is confronted with your "permission slip" from the principle.

Also, ask the AAG if a trespass charge for failing to leave will be lodged and will a charge for "a gun crime" be added to the mix beyond the "citation" identified in the statute for failing to leave.

In my opinion the AAG did not address the premise of your question. Let us know what the "AG" says via his AAG.