• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milw sheriff gets it right

Firearms Iinstuctor

Milwaukee: Sheriff calls for armed school guards, condemns gun control
pioneer press ^ | 12-19-12 | Steve Schultze

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:41:49 PM by TurboZamboni

Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. calls for placing armed tactical officers or security officers "in every school and public place in America," in a commentary piece posted on a tea party website.

Clarke also condemns calls for gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook School mass killings in Newtown, Ct., and says, "We have to resist with the ferociousness of a junk yard dog any -- any -- attempt by liberals to make us less free by chipping away at our constitutional freedoms."

He berates "liberals for exploiting tragedy once again in our country and try(ing) to use tragedy as a reason to take our rights away."

Suggestions of gun control "are the mind-set of sheep," Clarke says.

"Sure run and hide from a sociopathic killer. See how far that gets you. You know where that'll get you -- 26 dead at Sandy Hook School," says Clarke's article posted on the website "Tea Party Perspective." It was posted by Nik Clark, president of Wisconsin Carry, Inc., a gun rights group.

(Excerpt) Read more at twincities.com

TyGuy

1) I don't think this problem is so widespread that we need such a response yet. Yes, when it happens it is horrible, but it very very very very rare.
2) There is no need to take officers off of the street, or to hire more officers for this. Allow teachers, staff, and parents the ability to carry in schools. You could require an additional training endorsement for Campus Carry (normally I don't support mandatory training BUT I would let it fly here IF it go us to move past the GFSZ issue). OR we can do like Israel - let citizens volunteer to be the guards. Any citizen interested would pay for their own firearms, their own training (practical shooting style, trauma care, and applicable laws of deadly force), pay for their own background check, wear clothing along with the school's dress code, take their own unpaid/vacation time, and receive no compensation. This would put plain clothed individuals indistinguishable from teachers in the school to protect the children. I would pay for the endorsement and volunteer 2-3 days a year to do it, and my kids aren't even in school yet.

*Again I don't normally support all of those requirements for carrying, BUT to get a compromised solution for "GFSZ" I would back them.*

JJC

1) I don't think this problem is so widespread that we need such a response yet. Yes, when it happens it is horrible, but it very very very very rare.
2) There is no need to take officers off of the street, or to hire more officers for this. Allow teachers, staff, and parents the ability to carry in schools. You could require an additional training endorsement for Campus Carry (normally I don't support mandatory training BUT I would let it fly here IF it go us to move past the GFSZ issue). OR we can do like Israel - let citizens volunteer to be the guards. Any citizen interested would pay for their own firearms, their own training (practical shooting style, trauma care, and applicable laws of deadly force), pay for their own background check, wear clothing along with the school's dress code, take their own unpaid/vacation time, and receive no compensation. This would put plain clothed individuals indistinguishable from teachers in the school to protect the children. I would pay for the endorsement and volunteer 2-3 days a year to do it, and my kids aren't even in school yet.

*Again I don't normally support all of those requirements for carrying, BUT to get a compromised solution for "GFSZ" I would back them.*

I too would volunteer time for protecting our kids. It would be a very worth while prospect.

JJC

Yetiman

Seems to me we keep hearing about people coming out of military service who have a hard time finding jobs when all their training was for securing zones.

Give em' a pistol, a paycheck, and a purpose !

Law abider

Seems to me we keep hearing about people coming out of military service who have a hard time finding jobs when all their training was for securing zones.

Give em' a pistol, a paycheck, and a purpose !

Only after they have gone through a mental health exam. Many of ex military have had issues connected with serving in a battle front. My Friend who came back from a tour of duty has this what they call Post traumatic stress syndrom. One night a house a couple of blocks from his blew up and he was in the batheroom where he was knocked from one side to the other. Instantly, he told me, he was in Iraq. He began to react as if he was in combat. It lasted for a little while and was over. So Yes they will make good security guards, but they need to be evaluated and be honest if they have PTS.

Packer fan

Only after they have gone through a mental health exam. Many of ex military have had issues connected with serving in a battle front. My Friend who came back from a tour of duty has this what they call Post traumatic stress syndrom. One night a house a couple of blocks from his blew up and he was in the batheroom where he was knocked from one side to the other. Instantly, he told me, he was in Iraq. He began to react as if he was in combat. It lasted for a little while and was over. So Yes they will make good security guards, but they need to be evaluated and be honest if they have PTS.

Personally I would want that man to secure my school, why, because his training would take over. If he was in a school and an explosion took place that rocked him that much I think I'd trust him the most. I've never been in combat or the military but I think if I had an explosion like that I'd react too but not as well as he would with his training. (don't know just speculation.)