• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Domestic violence

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Since this has come up a couple of times recently...this was just prefiled:

HB 1410 Firearms; possession of weapons following conviction of certain crimes, penalty.
James M. Scott | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles
another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
Possession of firearms following conviction of certain crimes; penalty. Prohibits any person who is convicted of stalking, sexual battery, or assault and battery of a family member that results in serious bodily injury from possessing, transporting, or carrying a firearm or any other weapon for a period of five years following his conviction. A violation would constitute a Class 6 felony. The bill also provides for the forfeiture of any weapon possessed, transported, or carried in violation of the prohibition. Finally, the bill provides for a process by which a violator may petition the circuit court for a reinstatement of his rights to possess, transport, or carry a weapon.Full text:
12/18/12 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/13 13102112D pdf | impact statement

12/18/12 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/13 13102112D
12/18/12 House: Committee Referral Pending

love4guns

This bill has another angle to it. Having a process where the state removes then reinstates a persons gun rights makes them eligible to own a gun again even under the Lautenberg act. While I don't like idea of a person losing firearms rights for 5 yrs on misdemeanor conviction. I'm sure this is a thumbs down from the VCDL but it may be the only way someone convicted of domestic assault and battery can carry again under the Lautenberg law if there is a record of force within their case.