Thread: Domestic violence

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    , ,

Domestic violence

Since this has come up a couple of times recently...this was just prefiled:

HB 1410 Firearms; possession of weapons following conviction of certain crimes, penalty.
    James M. Scott | all patrons ... notes
    | add to my profiles
    another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
    Possession of firearms following conviction of certain crimes; penalty. Prohibits any person who is convicted of stalking, sexual battery, or assault and battery of a family member that results in serious bodily injury from possessing, transporting, or carrying a firearm or any other weapon for a period of five years following his conviction. A violation would constitute a Class 6 felony. The bill also provides for the forfeiture of any weapon possessed, transported, or carried in violation of the prohibition. Finally, the bill provides for a process by which a violator may petition the circuit court for a reinstatement of his rights to possess, transport, or carry a weapon.Full text:
    12/18/12 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/13 13102112D pdf | impact statement

12/18/12 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/13 13102112D
    12/18/12 House: Committee Referral Pending

This bill has another angle to it. Having a process where the state removes then reinstates a persons gun rights makes them eligible to own a gun again even under the Lautenberg act. While I don't like idea of a person losing firearms rights for 5 yrs on misdemeanor conviction. I'm sure this is a thumbs down from the VCDL but it may be the only way someone convicted of domestic assault and battery can carry again under the Lautenberg law if there is a record of force within their case.