• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mormon Prophet Supports "Gun Free Zones"

Brent Hartman

I've always thought that the only people "Gun Free Zones" really benefit are homicidal maniacs. I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that my church, the LDS Church, actually supports "Gun Free Zones". Not only that, but the Church actively goes out of its way to legally make sure that those attending services in LDS buildings in Utah are prohibited from defending themselves with firearms.

I started looking into this when I heard a local church leader talking about the shooting in Connecticut, and he mentioned in passing that we shouldn't bring guns to church. He kind of chuckled after he said this so I thought he might of been joking. I decided to go to the Church Handbook of Instructions and find out if there is an official position on this issue. This is what I found:

Firearms

"Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law."

Inappropriate? Why would it be inappropriate for me to have a tool that could be used to defend my family and others? If it's inappropriate for me, then why not for cops, and why not for the bodyguards that protect the president of the Church?

This kind of troubled me, so I went to some LDS Liberty friends of mine to ask them about this issue. They assured me this was just a meaningless policy, and that it was ridiculous for me to compare a church policy with a government law establishing gun free zones. They snickered at the "stupidity" of my argument.

That enlightening conversation got me wondering what the law was in the State of Utah on cocealed carry in churches. That's when I stumbled upon this newsletter sent out by the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification to all CCW instructors. In this January 2004 letter, the BCI states:

"According to SB108, All churches must notify BCI in writing if they wish to have concealed weapons restricted from their premises...So, please be sure to tell all of your students to check on our website (www.bci.utah.gov) to see if their church has become a restricted area."

It turns out that in the State of Utah, concealed carry in churches is actually protected in the CCW law. A church has to register with the state, to make an exception in the law, in order to establish "Gun Free Zones" in its buildings.

I decided to go to the BCI website to see what churches felt like it was a good idea to disarm its members. Here is what I found:

"Houses of Worship Prohibiting Firearms on Premises

The following churches have notified BCI of their intent to prohibit firearms in their "houses of worship" in Utah.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Instructions for notifying the Bureau of Criminal Identification of your intent to prohibit firearms.

Read Utah Code 76-10-530 regarding the prohibition of firearms by Utah houses of worship."

There was only one church on the list! The only church in Utah that feels the need to legally disarm its members is the LDS church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints supports "Gun Free Zones", and one can only assume that the leader of the Church, President Monson, also supports "Gun Free Zones".

I fully understand that the LDS church has the right to determine what happens on their property. Likewise, I have the right to point out how stupid it is to disarm the good members of the Church, and make them sitting ducks for those that intend to do evil.

The most disgusting thing to me is that the men that made this flawed policy are themselves protected by armed security. How dare they place a greater value on their lives, than the lives of my children and all the other common folk of the Church.

Sources:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/docs/JAN2004_Instructor_New...

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFchurch.html

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-ch...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I tell the same to my students here, who are often getting the UT license in addition to their NV. In NV, the sign (if any) on a church does not have weight of law. In UT, it does, and the church can also register with BCI in lieu of posting a sign. As you mentioned, only the LDS Church has done so.

I find it odd, myself, considering how patriotic and freedom-loving most Mormons are. But they are also heavily involved in local politics, and, well, a politician is a politician. I'm sure he is only thinking of the children, after all.

Last edited:

eye95

Socially, the Mormon Church is an amazing organization, producing some of the most effective and moral human beings.

From a respect of Liberty standpoint *keeps mouth shut*

From a theological standpoint *keeps mouth shut*

In some ways, I have to respect Mormons; in other ways...Well, suffice it to say that I'd never be a Mormon.

KBCraig

If you find yourself in a discussion with church leaders over this, just tell them you understand their position that the church building should be a place of peace and safety.

Then ask them how you're supposed to teleport from your home to the safety of the sanctuary without passing through the dangerous world.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Mormon Church Handbook said:
..."Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law."...

First, this is bullcrap. God's Law is full of practical and terse information on how to live in the cruel world. It was read aloud and taught to children of every age. It was not sugar-coated. Teaching God's Law is not a "haven from the cares and concerns of the world."

Second, don't some say the same thing about elementary schools?

Third, if it was inappropriate, it would STILL be inappropriate for police. Period. There is ZERO moral difference in a police officer carrying a sidearm and a civilian carrying a sidearm. ZERO.

bowb

Interesting thing about Utah is that while churches that give proper notice are GFZ, a person can carry at schools with the proper paper work filed.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Interesting thing about Utah is that while churches that give proper notice are GFZ, a person can carry at schools with the proper paper work filed.

Yep, it is a GFZ with a penalty of an "infraction" basically, a traffic violation. You, know how Utahn's obey speed limits! And BCI is prohibited from revoking a Concealed Carry permit for "any single infraction".

Last edited:

skeith5

I'm Mormon, not living in Utah and I carry concealed to church. Maybe I should open carry to see what happens. I would love to start some sort of a coalition of Mormon gun owners who would like to get the church to change its policy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

PFC HALE

thankfully im not part of the religion anymore and they can keep the wards defenseless victim zones...

if i remember there was a shooting in the daytona beach ward years ago and a friend i knew was killed. i think the guy didnt read the pamphlet on no guns allowed.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm not sure which I find more objectionable--a church that denies self-defense, or a state that requires a church to register its policy.

eye95

If I read correctly, churches do not have to register to be no-gun. They can post a gun buster sign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Haz.

Socially, the Mormon Church is an amazing organization, producing some of the most effective and moral human beings.

From a respect of Liberty standpoint *keeps mouth shut*

From a theological standpoint *keeps mouth shut*

In some ways, I have to respect Mormons; in other ways...Well, suffice it to say that I'd never be a Mormon.

Im not a religious nutter, but I do know whats written in the Bible, and when religious leaders profess to know more than what God has revealed regarding self defence, and shove this down their bretherns throats, I feel the need to expose them for what they are. They, like many governments like to hold their followers in fear and bondage. If I lived in the USA, and was told my a minister of any church I could not enter the church building armed, I wouldnt enter it, in fact I would immediately leave that church and never go back again.

The Mormons, it seems make up their own rules concerning their believers safety and self defence. The are obviously not interested in what God has to say regarding self defence? Their god, the god of this world would like to see everyone dissarmed and defenceless. Thats my take on religious interference in matters that should not consern them!

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:" (Luke 11:21). "A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring." (Proverbs 25:26).

Christ was all for self defence, in fact He told His disciples to arm themselves before going out into the big bad world.

Before Jesus' arrest, Jesus told the disciples that there would be much hostility towards them and they would need protection, for since He would be considered a transgressor, as His followers, they would be considered transgressors.

Luke 22:35-38
35 And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?" So they said, "Nothing."
36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.' For the things concerning Me have an end."

I was asked on another site to show one Scripture which taught Christs disciples were ever armed or even had arms?

V. 38 So they said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough."

Peter struck off the ear of the high priests servant, so He must have been armed.

" When they which were about him saw what would follow, they said unto him, Lord, shall we smite with the sword? And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear." (Luke 22:49).

Cheers, Haz.

OC for ME

I'm Mormon, not living in Utah and I carry concealed to church. Maybe I should open carry to see what happens. I would love to start some sort of a coalition of Mormon gun owners who would like to get the church to change its policy.

What is preventing you from starting a coalition of Mormon gun owners? Could you be excommunicated or the Mormon equivalent for doing such a thing? I may be misunderstanding and if so please accept my apology in advance. Is it not incumbent upon Mormons to be prepared? If so, I would think that a Mormon must be prepared, even in church.

PFC HALE

What is preventing you from starting a coalition of Mormon gun owners? Could you be excommunicated or the Mormon equivalent for doing such a thing? I may be misunderstanding and if so please accept my apology in advance. Is it not incumbent upon Mormons to be prepared? If so, I would think that a Mormon must be prepared, even in church.

the higher authorities in the church are extremely political, probably the religious equivalent of the NRA...

and it has been proven in the past that if you do something on your own in the name of the mormon church you do get ex-communicated or "disciplined"...

they, like all other powerful entities are well funded, so they have their way with things.

Last edited:

skeith5

I don't think in this day and age I would get excommunicated. I believe that the church talks a lot about emergency preparedness and food storage but fails to discuss being able to defend what you have stored. In an "end of the world scenario" I'm sure a lot of people who are not prepared will look upon their Mormon neighbors and possibly try to take things by force. I'm all for helping out my neighbor if I can but I'm not going to do that at the expense of my family. Maybe it's time to start a website to get support. Www.Mormonmilita.com?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If I read correctly, churches do not have to register to be no-gun. They can post a gun buster sign....

Correct. A church can post a sign at the door, or personally inform a member, or can simply register with the UT BCI in lieu of those.

eye95

Then I have no problem with what is happening other than, similarly to my refusing to patronize any business with a no-gun policy, I could not be a member of a church that banned my carry.

They have the right to tell me that I may not carry on their property just as I have the right to carry. My rights are no more important than theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Then I have no problem with what is happening other than, similarly to my refusing to patronize any business with a no-gun policy, I could not be a member of a church that banned my carry.

They have the right to tell me that I may not carry on their property just as I have the right to carry. My rights are no more important than theirs...

Except that with private property like businesses, they can only trespass you. In Utah, carrying in a church or private residence after knowing their policy (or failing to check if registered with BCI) is an actual weapons infraction.