• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School zones

BFDMikeCT

I just realized today( sometimes I am a bit slow I guess lol). GFZ's are really infringing on our right to protect more than I though till today. If I am dropping off my kid at a catholic school two towns away where they go, I have to leave my house unarmed and continue to be unprotected against my right all day if I don't have a chance to go 20-30 min back home before I go about my day. That is completely in fair and IMHO violating our rights. Am I crazy? It's ok if I am just let me know.

motoxmann

I personally completely agree with you. I recently had to spend an entire day unarmed all because I knew in advance I'd be spending 5 minutes in a GFZ in the middle of the day

BFDMikeCT

Is there a way to spin this into it infringing on our rights and getting LAC able to atleast be able to have/leave said firearm in car legally?

motoxmann

Is there a way to spin this into it infringing on our rights and getting LAC able to atleast be able to have/leave said firearm in car legally?

not really sure, I actually don't even know if we currently have any type of law in regards to storage of a firearm in a vehicle. I actually just posted something rather long in the thread about the CPTV/NPR live panel discussion.
with my above post about leaving myself unarmed, I was on my motorcycle that day, so yeah... no possible way to leave it in my "vehicle" :p

Last edited:

customcreationllc

are you allowed to store the gun in your car?

Isn't your car considered privet property or something like that.
You can smoke in your car you cannot smoke on school grounds. Same with drinking.

Why wouldn't you be allowed to store a gun locked in a vehicle?

Rich B

Why wouldn't you be allowed to store a gun locked in a vehicle?

Good luck with that in court. I agree with the logic, but I am very sure they will not consider that a reasonable defense.

As to the OP, I certainly agree with you that the law is ridiculous, but I think we have some serious triage work to do here and getting anyone to even consider this at the moment is going to be a waste of time.
Lets try and circle the wagons and strengthen our organizations to bear the brunt of the coming storm before we do anything else.

bmmd321

Good luck with that in court. I agree with the logic, but I am very sure they will not consider that a reasonable defense.

As to the OP, I certainly agree with you that the law is ridiculous, but I think we have some serious triage work to do here and getting anyone to even consider this at the moment is going to be a waste of time.
Lets try and circle the wagons and strengthen our organizations to bear the brunt of the coming storm before we do anything else.

Rich your right the storm is coming and it's going to be a battle. I'm just wondering what can I do as a LAC to help in this fight?

hammer6

i thought GFSZ only applied to those without a permit or license? obviously not to carry on property, but to transport in car. maybe that's just here in florida.

motoxmann

i thought GFSZ only applied to those without a permit or license? obviously not to carry on property, but to transport in car. maybe that's just here in florida.

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property or at such school-sponsored activity, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person's employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of such peace officer's official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.

Last edited:

BFDMikeCT

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1)

In this section am I crazy or does it say you are in violation if you are not licensed to do so or have permission. Are we not licensed to have a firearm? It doesn't say anything about a special license. I am not trying to be a smart ass I am just trying to understand why it says this and what it means if I am wrong.

Rich B

In this section am I crazy or does it say you are in violation if you are not licensed to do so or have permission. Are we not licensed to have a firearm? It doesn't say anything about a special license. I am not trying to be a smart ass I am just trying to understand why it says this and what it means if I am wrong.

I tend to agree that there is a potential legal challenge to the statute, but now read the jury instructions:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/ji/criminal/part8/8.2-10.htm

BFDMikeCT

I must be missing something. It still doesn't say that our "licensed permit carry" is not adequate. Is there any case law where someone has been charged with this? I am no expert but if I was on the jury (all personal feeling aside) it reads to me that our license or just permission from the school( similar to you not having a permit but being able to carry at you friends house cause he gave you permission to do so on his property are both in line with the way it's written to be lawful.

BFDMikeCT

Isn't that along the lines of our law doesn't say that open carry is not allowed there for we are allowed to open carry. It clearly states that you need to be licensed and we are.