View Poll Results: If it was lawful would you voulenteer hours at schools

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 92.86%
  • No

1 7.14%

Thread: Yakima County Law Enforcement talking with School Adminstrators about Armed Teachers.

Yakima County Law Enforcement talking with School Adminstrators about Armed Teachers.

Today law enforcement in Yakima County are talking with School Administrators about having a teacher in school who is trained and carry in school for protection.
    No new laws need to be enacted just that a teacher needs to be trained in firearms as a law enforcement officer. Finally some reasonable talk since these shootings.

RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
    (b) Any person engaged in military, law enforcement, or school district security activities. However, a person who is not a commissioned law enforcement officer and who provides school security services under the direction of a school administrator may not possess a device listed in subsection (1)(f) of this section unless he or she has successfully completed training in the use of such devices that is equivalent to the training received by commissioned law enforcement officers;

http://www.kimatv.com/home/video/Yak...184199211.html
    Last edited by BigDave; 12-20-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added link
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Yakima County Law Enforcement talking with School Adminstrators about Armed Teachers.

It would be nice if they did eventually change it to allow anyone with a cpl to carry like federal law allows. But this is a great step in the right direction. Hopefully this training won't take too long to implement.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    It would be nice if they did eventually change it to allow anyone with a cpl to carry like federal law allows. But this is a great step in the right direction. Hopefully this training won't take too long to implement.
    I would whole heartily second that motion!
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    I would to.... would 'we' be willing to get an additional 'endorsement' (state training) to be able to carry inside school buildings, buses, etc as a parent visiting the school or on a field trip?
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I would to.... would 'we' be willing to get an additional 'endorsement' (state training) to be able to carry inside school buildings, buses, etc as a parent visiting the school or on a field trip?
    I have typically been against mandated training feeling that it is the responsibility of the individual to seek out training.
    I don't have kids but I would be willing to compromise on this issue.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    We can be trusted at every location with a firearm (or two or three) or other deadly weapon on our preson, but not at a K-12 school? This seems a little irrational to me. I would not want to get MORE training just to carry in ONE location. The GA should trust the citizens to carry their arms anywhere they please, especially after they have a background check conducted on them and receive a small amount of training that is already required for the license.

If the government doesn't trust its citizens and strips them of a right because of that fear, then the citizens are dealing with the very definition of "tyranny." Rescind the gun-free school statutes, and do NOT mandate more training.

Michigan just had a lot of in-fighting over something very similiar. When you allow the state to mandate more training before you can exercise a right it is bad. Soon they will believe they can demand anything from anybody to exercise any right if we allow such legislation to become law.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 12-20-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    <snip>
    My question is directly related to Washington law and my question is voluntary additional training as we have NO training requirement in Washington. It is meant as a starting point to force the anti's to compromise with us and not the other way around.
    Live Free or Die!

Following the Sandy Hook Shootings a local threat was found on Facebook which brought this issue a little closer to home for Yakima County and likely the reason for these discussions.

Zillah police: Man arrested for Facebook threat
    ZILLAH, Wash. -- The man behind a suspicious Facebook threat it is now in custody, according to Zillah Police Chief Dave Simmons.

Simmons said the 27-year-old has been committed under the involuntary treatment act for a mental evaluation.

The post in question was part of a conversation thread. Simmons said the man responded to a comment that said he sounded like the next shooter at a massacre.

"I may be. I felt on the absolute edge of doing something similar," the man wrote.
    Last edited by BigDave; 12-21-2012 at 12:08 AM.

My children are well grown, but I would volunteer for this in a heart beat.

I have been seeing more and more people tired of dying and wanting to defend themselves and others. This was on police one. What a good idea.

http://www.policeone.com/active-shoo...tive-shooters/

"Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    John F. Kennedy, 1961
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    We can be trusted at every location with a firearm (or two or three) or other deadly weapon on our preson, but not at a K-12 school? This seems a little irrational to me. I would not want to get MORE training just to carry in ONE location. The GA should trust the citizens to carry their arms anywhere they please, especially after they have a background check conducted on them and receive a small amount of training that is already required for the license.

If the government doesn't trust its citizens and strips them of a right because of that fear, then the citizens are dealing with the very definition of "tyranny." Rescind the gun-free school statutes, and do NOT mandate more training.

Michigan just had a lot of in-fighting over something very similiar. When you allow the state to mandate more training before you can exercise a right it is bad. Soon they will believe they can demand anything from anybody to exercise any right if we allow such legislation to become law.
    I wholeheartedly agree with what you stated, that I have emphasized. I will also say that over nearly 40 years of handling and watching others handle firearms, I will honestly state that I see where our early American culture of most citizens having to hunt to survive gave children an early and continuous education about firearms that our recent culture has not had the benefit of. I am not saying that there are not those families who actively engaged in hunting and eventually pass the needed firearms safety & handling education on to their children, but these days they are few and are quickly becoming the exception rather than the rule.

I would trade needing to show proof of successful completion of a Firearms safety course for the present infringements on our rights of needing a CPL to exercise my Constitutional Rights in certain places within the state. I might even accept being required to undergo and pass the same background checks presently required for a CPL or Handgun purchase prior to enrollment in the course, if they were to drop the existing CPL eligibility laws. Meaning if you will be traveling to another state and wish to have a CPL, that you then show your Firearms Safety Certificate, pay the fee and be issued the CPL.

I know there are many who will disagree with me on this, that is their right to do so, and I would not disparage them for their opinion.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement. The faults of a few, reflect badly on many, I therefore do not suggest anyone support WAC. My EDC is either a H&K USP .40 or a Taurus 689 .357 filled with Snake Loads

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    My children are well grown, but I would volunteer for this in a heart beat.

I have been seeing more and more people tired of dying and wanting to defend themselves and others. This was on police one. What a good idea.

http://www.policeone.com/active-shoo...tive-shooters/

"Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    John F. Kennedy, 1961
    You are not the only one!
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement. The faults of a few, reflect badly on many, I therefore do not suggest anyone support WAC. My EDC is either a H&K USP .40 or a Taurus 689 .357 filled with Snake Loads

Thus far I support almost everything posted and with emphasis for those who that may step up and protect or be provided the ability to carry in the off limit areas as schools, be required to take and pass the training.
    Unfortunately not everyone willing to step up will be a good choice in these areas. Over the years I have talked to several people that carry daily and some not so much, a few of them really do not have a clue, sad but true.
    Last edited by BigDave; 12-21-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Devil's Advocate:

This would ostensibly be the same sort of training Birk has? I can just picture, our next shooting spree could be by a teacher who "felt threatened" and "had no choice but to shoot" when confronted by a 6 year old throwing a tantrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    Too bad that all too often you need good knee-pads and "lip balm" in order to get the "Reserve Coordinator" to even listen to you. Talk about a tight fraternity. Friends, Relatives, and "Drinking Buddies" first, all others need not apply.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I do not believe that the entire LE academy course would be needed. If the pertinent issues were covered a revised course could be designed specifically designed for the school environment.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

K-12 armed teachers training

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I do not believe that the entire LE academy course would be needed. If the pertinent issues were covered a revised course could be designed specifically designed for the school environment.
    Does anyone know how long the firearms portion of a police academy runs? I suspect that there might be some difference between Sheriff, metro police and State Patrol curricula, but in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
    Does anyone know how long the firearms portion of a police academy runs? I suspect that there might be some difference between Sheriff, metro police and State Patrol curricula, but in general.
    State Police have their own academy in Shelton. Everybody else uses the one in Des Moines.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Today law enforcement in Yakima County are talking with School Administrators about having a teacher in school who is trained and carry in school for protection.
    No new laws need to be enacted just that a teacher needs to be trained in firearms as a law enforcement officer. Finally some reasonable talk since these shootings.

RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
    (b) Any person engaged in military, law enforcement, or school district security activities. However, a person who is not a commissioned law enforcement officer and who provides school security services under the direction of a school administrator may not possess a device listed in subsection (1)(f) of this section unless he or she has successfully completed training in the use of such devices that is equivalent to the training received by commissioned law enforcement officers;

http://www.kimatv.com/home/video/Yak...184199211.html
    I say, Lord Have Mercy...SOMEONE actually get's it.

BTW: (1)(f) training is not necessary...there is no reason for school staff to have a tazer.

May I add...it should not be only one person...it should be ANY staff member.
    Last edited by hermannr; 12-21-2012 at 11:12 PM.

I'd volunteer for a couple hours a day to keep one of my local schools safe from attack. I'm no sheepdog, but have small kids moving up in the world.

Poll added for who would volunteer hours at local schools if it was legal to do so.

yes.
    no question.