Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: Why does anyone need an AR15 ???

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pinal County, AZ, ,
    Posts
    164

    Why does anyone need an AR15 ???

    That seems to be a popular question from the anti-gun crowd. The question is a trap. It includes a premise that must be rejected.....that rights are based on need. To quote Thomas Paine from RIGHTS OF MAN: "Natural rights are those which appertain to man in right of his existence" and "Civil rights are those which appertain to man in right of his being a member of society". If you believe that the right to keep and bear arms is a natural right, then it is not and cannot be based on need.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Devin Hutchison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1
    I just ask them "Why don't we need them?"

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Re: Why does anyone need an AR15 ???

    I would say for the same reason a rich person "needs" 10 or 15 cars.

    Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Armed4Life View Post
    That seems to be a popular question from the anti-gun crowd. The question is a trap. It includes a premise that must be rejected.....that rights are based on need. To quote Thomas Paine from RIGHTS OF MAN: "Natural rights are those which appertain to man in right of his existence" and "Civil rights are those which appertain to man in right of his being a member of society". If you believe that the right to keep and bear arms is a natural right, then it is not and cannot be based on need.
    First you should ask them if there were items that kill more people every year than firearms, if they would deem it neccesary to remove them from civillian possession, and then you go into the questioning below.

    Ask them why they need a vehicle. Then inform them that vehicles are responsible for more deaths than anything in this country. Then ask them if they find it moral and neccesary to ban them from civillian possession so we can save the tens of thousands of lives they take each year. Being as they are serious death dealers, wouldn't it be better to walk than to kill all of those people?

    Ask them if they believe this country is better because of physicians. Then inform them that medical mistakes kill more than 100,000 people every year in the United States. So, shouldn't we prohibit doctors from "possessing" patients since they kill so many of them each year -- many more people than firearms do.

    Ask them if we need prescription medication. Tell them this kills more people every year than firearms, so we should ban all prescription medication from civillian possession.

    Ask them why they need an iPhone or an alcoholic drink. Ask them if they believe we should go back to prohibition to save the tens of thousands of lives alcohol takes every year -- many more than firearms.

    Ask them why they need anything. Ask them why they need a seat-belt or a fire-extinguisher. Ask them why they need car insurance or life insurance.

    We need it for self-defense, hunting, sport, 3-gun, etc., etc.

    We need it because we want it. Why is it any of their business? We could ask the same thing about numerous things they have I'm sure.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 12-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    519
    Why does anybody "need" to post things to the Internet and stir up nice people with all manner of radical conservative ideas?

    Why does anybody "need" to listen to whatever they want on the radio or watch what they want on TV? Some of these radio guys don't like the government and some TV shows promote strange ideas.

    Why does anybody "need" to go to the church of their choice? Just makes people who don't go to church feel guilty.

    Maybe all of these "unneeded" behaviors should be banned for the good and comfort of the majority.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1,835
    well, we NEED them so we can get as much practice as possible for clearing jams, double-feeds,stove-piping, slam-fires, cook-offs, barrel-warping, and pretty much everything BUT actually shooting them, when we need them most.

  7. #7
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,277
    The real question is why does the government need to take guns away from law abiding citizens.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  8. #8
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    First you should ask them if there were items that kill more people every year than firearms, if they would deem it neccesary to remove them from civillian possession, and then you go into the questioning below.

    Ask them why they need a vehicle. Then inform them that vehicles are responsible for more deaths than anything in this country. Then ask them if they find it moral and neccesary to ban them from civillian possession so we can save the tens of thousands of lives they take each year. Being as they are serious death dealers, wouldn't it be better to walk than to kill all of those people?

    Ask them if they believe this country is better because of physicians. Then inform them that medical mistakes kill more than 100,000 people every year in the United States. So, shouldn't we prohibit doctors from "possessing" patients since they kill so many of them each year -- many more people than firearms do.

    Ask them if we need prescription medication. Tell them this kills more people every year than firearms, so we should ban all prescription medication from civillian possession.

    Ask them why they need an iPhone or an alcoholic drink. Ask them if they believe we should go back to prohibition to save the tens of thousands of lives alcohol takes every year -- many more than firearms.

    Ask them why they need anything. Ask them why they need a seat-belt or a fire-extinguisher. Ask them why they need car insurance or life insurance.

    We need it for self-defense, hunting, sport, 3-gun, etc., etc.

    We need it because we want it. Why is it any of their business? We could ask the same thing about numerous things they have I'm sure.
    This is not true. And you admit it when in the next paragraph you mention that doctors are responsible for over 100,000 deaths a year. No flaming or nitpicking... just pointing out a dichotomy here.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  9. #9
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492

    Why does anyone need an AR15 ???

    to answer the OP's question, ar-15's are the closest civilians can get to relative firepower that the military/police have in order to protect ourselves from an oppressive government.

    if/when it happens that we have to stand up for our freedom and liberty, i certainly wouldnt want to be fighting with a 5rd bolt action or a .22

    meet force with equal force (or as close to it)
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    The natural right is the right of self-defense. The RKBA is an enumerated right, an implementation of the right to self-defense that our Framers thought important enough to enshrine in the Constitution, based on the history of the English people and the recent past of the Colonies.

    That there need be no need to carry any particular arm protected by the 2A in order for the right to exist is still a valid point.

    As of two days ago, I now have one. I never felt the need to have one before. I now do.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661

    Re: Why does anyone need an AR15 ???

    "Why do you need scented body wash? Don't ask me stupid questions."

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,277
    If the government really is concerned for the safety of the people they should disarm all federal agencies. Particularly take away actual assault weapons from the police, national guard, and military. If their heart is in the right place there is no need for a dozen police officers serving warrants with fully auto rifles with 30 round magazines. The intent for the 2A was for the people to be armed with the same weapons as the government, so if anyone is going stop using hi cap magazines it should be them. There is no need for "weapons of mass death" as they call them, for policing the people, NONE. Police and national guard should have no special privileges that are not afforded the people.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  13. #13
    Regular Member Keylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    197
    The 2A explicitly states why:

    A well regulated militia being NECESSARY to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

    necessary (adj.)

    late 14c. "needed, required, essential, indispensable," from O.Fr. necessaire "necessary, urgent, compelling" (13c.), and directly from L. necessarius "unavoidable, indispensible, necessary," from necesse "unavoidable, indispensable," originally "no backing away," from ne- "not" + cedere "to withdraw, go away, yield" (see cede).

  14. #14
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086
    I bought my AR15 to shoot Nazis.

    Funny how when I let that be common knowledge, none of them were able to decipher their own directions to my house that they themselves had put on the internet...
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  15. #15
    Regular Member RGRTim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Manassas Park
    Posts
    9
    When asked why does anyone need an AR15 I ask them if they support 1st ammendment rights. When they say yes I ask them if they think i have the right to say anything i want or just the things they like and aggree with. If you think about it the AR15 issue is no different as they always say "I support 2nd ammendment rights but dont think you should have an assault weapon"

  16. #16
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,277
    Why do children need violent video games? It seems it would be much more effective to ban them, then banning guns. Why does the media need to go on and on about violence? Surely if the Second amendment can be forsaken why not stop the media from inciting these incidents.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    Someone asked this on a post on facebook. I asked them why they needed freedom of press/religion/speech. They are yet to answer.

  18. #18
    Regular Member TNTTNT187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    15

    Need an AR-15

    I need food, air and water to live. I "WANT" any gun I feel that will properly defend me, my family and property. When I can obtain them lawfully than it is my right to do so.

  19. #19
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    This is not true. And you admit it when in the next paragraph you mention that doctors are responsible for over 100,000 deaths a year. No flaming or nitpicking... just pointing out a dichotomy here.
    I was refering to inanimate objects in the vehicle statement. Doctors are not inanimate objects. I guess I should've made that a little more clear.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    To shoot, duh ... at least that's just me .. some may keep guns just to look at ...

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Re: Why does anyone need an AR15 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    If the government really is concerned for the safety of the people they should disarm all federal agencies. Particularly take away actual assault weapons from the police, national guard, and military. If their heart is in the right place there is no need for a dozen police officers serving warrants with fully auto rifles with 30 round magazines. The intent for the 2A was for the people to be armed with the same weapons as the government, so if anyone is going stop using hi cap magazines it should be them. There is no need for "weapons of mass death" as they call them, for policing the people, NONE. Police and national guard should have no special privileges that are not afforded the people.
    Would this also apply to nukes? Take them away from the federal government and allow only the states and private citizens to have them?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  22. #22
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,277
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Would this also apply to nukes? Take them away from the federal government and allow only the states and private citizens to have them?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Can you afford a nuke? Is it possible to bear a nuke? Didn't the government force soldiers to be exposed to nuke fallout prior to the arms race? Does the government really need them seeing they are the only government to actually use them?
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  23. #23
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Re: Why does anyone need an AR15 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Why do children need violent video games? It seems it would be much more effective to ban them, then banning guns.
    Please video games have nothing to do with this. That reminds me of all the people calling to ban d&d. Funny how that's been replaced with the more popular format. I guess next we well go after laser tag and paintball?

  24. #24
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Re: Why does anyone need an AR15 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    In addition to the desensitization caused by these games (one was titled "Kindergarten Killer"!), the absense of discipline for youngsters for the last 40 years has led to them not having to take responsibility for their actions. Too many times of the last four decades, youngsters and their parents have been told that little so & so has a "medical condition" or a "behavioral disorder" and he isn't at fault for his actions.

    Yeah - - - right.

    Without discipline and repercussions for unacceptable actions, they will never learn to control themselves.
    Why is it everyone has to blame something else. Video games have nothing to do with the issue.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The real question is why does the government need to take guns away from law abiding citizens.
    ^^^^
    This is the heart of the matter!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    "Why do you need scented body wash? Don't ask me stupid questions."

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2


    Quote Originally Posted by crazydude6030 View Post
    Why is it everyone has to blame something else. Video games have nothing to do with the issue.
    And you can say this with absolutely 100% authority? I think you may want to rethink your statement. Did they solely contribute to this...nope....but did they play a role? You can't say they didn't......so maybe you want to backtrack a little.

    There are always several things that play a role....saying that this or that was the 'thing' that caused it....well, it is intellectually deficient.

    I don't think anyone is saying video games are to be blamed for ALL of it; but one could argue they very well could play a part....however, blaming is placing the responsibility for ones action on something/someone else....when we all make decisions, those decisions are based upon many factors, some external and some internal...therefore blaming anything/anyone for my actions, is a fallacy.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •