• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The NRA's National School Shield...

Kotyaer

We know how this will be received nationally after the media's done with it. Much as has been done with carry right in VA, this needs to be pushed at a state level.

Personally, with my economic situation the way it is right now, I'd be able to step up and volunteer roughly 3-5 days a week at one of the Accomack County Schools, since my schedule is fairly flexible. My wife is a teacher at one of the high schools, and if there wasn't incentive enough for me to do a damn good job. I think it's a great idea, and a step in the right direction.

It addresses the OC mantra of "exposure exposure exposure". This will get students used to the idea that guns are not horrible, evil frightening things. It addresses the very real security hole at the schools. This might not kill the GFSZ completely, but they would have to make some sort of allowance for that firearm to be on school grounds.

This plan is a chance to get the momentum moving in the right direction this time.

I hope I'm not living in some namby pamby fantasy land in my head right now, though.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It addresses the OC mantra of "exposure exposure exposure". This will get students used to the idea that guns are not horrible, evil frightening things. It addresses the very real security hole at the schools. This might not kill the GFSZ completely, but they would have to make some sort of allowance for that firearm to be on school grounds.

This plan is a chance to get the momentum moving in the right direction this time.

I hope I'm not living in some namby pamby fantasy land in my head right now, though.

There's nothing wrong with the training but don't expect to be armed and don't expect state law to change to allow it.

Last edited:

sparkman2

I am a father and I would gladly donate my time to guard any one of the schools in our city. But as Mr. Nap said don't expect the state to go along with it because there is no money for it. Hey I am not asking to be paid I just want to watch my son grow up for the next 20 or 30 years I have left on this planet. I found this little quote too:

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Quote from a book by Thomas Jefferson.

Probably the smartest man in the history of this country