Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: how close to a school can you carry ?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    lv
    Posts
    65

    how close to a school can you carry ?

    I was wondering how close to a school can you carry. I know you can not carry on the property but is there a distance law or code or something?

  2. #2
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Until you are on school property provided you have a State issued Carry Permit. If you have no permit then Federal law says you must maintain a 1000' standoff.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    You can also carry within the 1000 ft zone with these exceptions to the Federal Gun Free Sschool Zone Act :

    (ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;

    (iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual


    and on school property with this exceptionto NRS 202.265 :

    "written permission from the principal of the school"

    (Good luck with either one)
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 12-21-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Hoka hey

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    If you have no permit then Federal law says you must maintain a 1000' standoff.
    So you cannot drive by a school if carrying openly, or with a gun in the console or glove box?

    mbogo

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    Not that it's really enforceable, but if you don't meet one of the other exceptions such a licensed carry or written permission, you can still traverse the zone with your firearm that is not loaded and in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle.

    I don't know if a glove box or console will suffice.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 12-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Hoka hey

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    86
    It doesn't appear enforceable as one would have to know where every school in Nevada is located and assiduously avoid them while driving.

    mbogo

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Just keep in mind that the Federal Gun Free School Zone is not enforced in most states, including NV. The only time you will ever hear about this being charged to someone is as an addition to other more serious crimes.

    For example, if Joe Gangbanger gets caught selling dope across the street from a school, and they find his pistol under the seat of his car, he will also be charged with the violation of the FGFSZA because his lawyer won't bother fighting it as he has bigger problems to deal with. The 1996 law is just as unconstitutional as the 1990 law that SCOTUS already ruled on.

    The rest is just Internet experts expounding their knowledge of the "law."

    If you don't have a permit because you exclusively open carry, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Just keep in mind that the Federal Gun Free School Zone is not enforced in most states, including NV. The only time you will ever hear about this being charged to someone is as an addition to other more serious crimes.

    For example, if Joe Gangbanger gets caught selling dope across the street from a school, and they find his pistol under the seat of his car, he will also be charged with the violation of the FGFSZA because his lawyer won't bother fighting it as he has bigger problems to deal with. The 1996 law is just as unconstitutional as the 1990 law that SCOTUS already ruled on.

    The rest is just Internet experts expounding their knowledge of the "law."

    If you don't have a permit because you exclusively open carry, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    Yep Mac, a great way to put it, experts expounding their knowledge. I believe we all do appreciate being informed of a law accurately however, we do have some laws that are never enforced or not enforced to the letter as written. Though not posting on this thread we have the one poster that will run the threads for several pages after being told his knowalge of the law is correct however never enforced.

  9. #9
    Regular Member punisherprice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    Not that it's really enforceable, but if you don't meet one of the other exceptions such a licensed carry or written permission, you can still traverse the zone with your firearm that is not loaded and in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle.

    I don't know if a glove box or console will suffice.
    But wouldnt the "car is an extension of your home " rule kinda trump that? But then again I cant find any NRS that verifies that rule. From what i get from it, you carry in your car as long as you dont get out within view of a school. Because that would be ridiculous, what if i live within the 1000' of the school?
    Last edited by punisherprice; 12-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    "Si vis pacem parabellum" - If you want peace, Prepare for war.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherprice View Post
    But wouldnt the "car is an extension of your home " rule kinda trump that? But then again I cant find any NRS that verifies that rule. From what i get from it, you carry in your car as long as you dont get out within view of a school. Because that would be ridiculous, what if i live within the 1000' of the school?
    Yeah, I don't know where that saying comes from, exactly. There is no NV law regarding being in the proximity of the school. It is an unconstitutional federal law that will not be enforced here like it is in some states (most of whom have their own similar legislation).

    But yes, if you are going to obey the letter of this law, it applies immediately after leaving private property within that 1000' zone.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •