Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Obama's 'Gun Violence Task Force': Enough bickering. Time to act.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270

    Obama's 'Gun Violence Task Force': Enough bickering. Time to act.

    So, it appears we are about to have a nationwide problem. So instead of bickering about who is more right, or what kind of activists you are, or Stainless1911 bickering, why don't we use this thread to suggest some solid ideas on what we can do to garner some pro-gun attention. We need to send a message that we will not stand for further infringements upon our rights... Any of our rights. This is bigger than Michigan now, its bigger than 'MOC betrayed us!', its bigger than trying to ban forum users. This thread is for one thing: Putting aside your individual bitches and making something happen. We are all in this together, and we will only get through it together.

    So now, I want some ideas, some discussion about what we can do to help everyone and avoid additional restrictions, which, believe me, are coming down the pipe, and soon. I, for one, am going to at least be able to say I tried.
    So wipe the **** off your shoes, check your ego at the door, and lets open the floor to discussion. We all want the same thing, and we're going to need everyone.

    Things to note:
    I don't want any illegal suggestions. These will not help us.
    Cops and Antis and Everyone trolls this forum, so if you have an idea that would require 'element of surprise', PM me and we'll discuss the best way to disseminate the information to interested parties.
    If you show up to this thread to complain or bring issues from other threads in here, you will be immediately and irrevocably added to my ignore list. We don't have time for you.
    Suggestions for other noteworthy items are encouraged, but ideas for how to protect our rights are better.

    Note to Mods and Admins:
    While I will acknowledge that this doesn't specifically address Open Carry, it does address concerns of wide-sweeping gun legislation which is likely to include Open Carry. Either way, I think it is important, so I would appreciate it's staying open.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 12-21-2012 at 01:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Well, let me explain my focus:

    Legislation will be coming down the pipe, and the media is spinning a lot of gun control rhetoric. What we need to do first, I think, is focus on public opinion. We need pro gun media, if this means a huge event somewhere, fine. We need to show politicians we're still here, and we need those who may be on the fence to hear both sides, because right now the general impressionable public is pretty much only seeing the anti-gun side of things.

    Proposing our own legislation is good too, and I know Phil was working on some constitutional carry legislation, but in our current political climate, this stuff won't get passed. We need support first. We need to be in the public eye. If this gets swept under the rug, then our media voice opportunity will be gone, and all people will remember seeing is the anti-gun press. This is time sensitive.

    So, I'm thinking a demonstration or event or something of that nature is required.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 12-21-2012 at 01:09 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    Cops troll this forum
    Are you suggesting that police are anti-2A?
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clinton Twp
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Are you suggesting that police are anti-2A?
    It's a know fact some are very anti 2A, or at least they have the opinion non-LEOs shouldn't have guns.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

  5. #5
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Are you suggesting that police are anti-2A?
    I'm not suggesting that Cops are anti 2A, though like with any profession, some are. My point in mentioning this was that many departments have been, in the past, resistant to our efforts, and to use your own judgement as to whether or not that fact has any bearing on what you post.

    But this isn't really relevant to the thread, is it? Do you have any thoughts on the actual topic?

  6. #6
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    I am in.
    Clearly some LEO and LEA's are anti 2A, not all, but some.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    My 0.02 worth is that we need to fix the gun-free zone problem.

    We absolutely must pass legislation in Michigan that allows concealed carry in these killing zones (sans the OC prohibition, if possible) with a veto-proof margin.

    As soon as a State, whether Michigan or another, allows concealed carry in schools, the national debate on gun control will begin to shift from the pro-gun side defending 'assault' weapons and magazines to the anti-gun side defending gun-free zones. I don't think that the average American has made the gun-free-zone = place-where-massacres-happen connection as of yet. The mainstream media certainly hasn't made it. If a state can finally pass concealed carry in schools then the taboo subject of gun-free school zones can no longer be ignored by those talking heads.

    That day will be the day that America finally wakes up to the stupidity of victim-disarmament zones, amen.

    Meanwhile, until then, I'm afraid we will continue to have periodic gun-free zone massacres along with hijacking of these sad events by the antis to scare the ill-informed masses.

    I'm fine with no massacres of the innocent, I'd be completely happy with that. The antis will then have nothing to fear monger with as the national violent crime trend has been falling every year.
    Last edited by OC4me; 12-21-2012 at 04:27 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    I'm not suggesting that Cops are anti 2A...But this isn't really relevant to the thread, is it?
    Yes, it is, because it sounds like you are advocating secrecy so the police do not find out what we are going to do and thus (unlawfully) try to prevent us from doing--something. That has bearing on what we do, how we do it, and how we organize. If they are not anti-2A there is nothing to fear from them.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  9. #9
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Once we sort through the emotional shouting (prevalent on BOTH sides of the equation), I believe it boils down to two freedoms in opposition.

    On one side, we have folks who are, to some degree, mentally ill. They are likely to never become a threat to society, although a few will. Unfortunately, there is no fool proof method to determine which few are actually going to do violence, and the overwhelming majority who will not.

    On the other side are those who hold onto their guns with religious fervor. Their minds are closed to any meaningful dialogue on the subject. They are absolute in their resolve to not give, even an inch.

    (McVeigh and Breivik don't even enter into the equation- the outliers- people with a radical political agenda and the will to carry it out. Against them is no defense.)

    So, do we deprive a large number of folks with the misfortune of mental illness of their freedom? We'd have to put them ALL away, since we don't know which ones are going to become violent. I don't believe freedom loving individuals would support the massive incarceration of people because they MIGHT do something (because they are mentally ill). That could progress to massive incarceration of people who just don't 'fit' in society. Then its the massive incarceration of ethnic groups. See where this is going? Say it won't happen, but it already has, and will again. It is undeniably a human failing.

    If we insist that guns be as available as soda pop at the corner store, that's what we'd have to do- lock up anybody who is 'different' because they MIGHT do something. The easy availability of firearms (legal and otherwise) leave little other option, in my opinion.

    On the other hand is the possibly paranoid (another mental illness) view of some firearm owners that the government is actually 'out to get them'. I don't believe that is true. They treat every attempt of the government to try to put any sort of controls on who may purchase / own / carry a firearm as a personal affront to THEIR liberty.

    Well, its one person's liberty vs. another's. Who's right? Who 'wins'? Do we take the liberty of the mentally ill, the liberty of the firearm owner, or is there some middle ground that we can agree on?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  10. #10
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    You are already looking for compromises. How about if we not take the liberties away from either group? Just a thought.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  11. #11
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Ok, I am in, my other post said this as well, serious answer to a serious question. Mods need to stop getting rid of things they personally disagree with and let the conversation continue.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  12. #12
    Regular Member WARCHILD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Corunna, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,772
    Okay, I will give you the first problem that HAS to be addressed before anything meaningful can be accomplished.

    1. Find a recognized media outlet that will let you voice/print your argument/information without bias. As we all know how it works in the REAL world; don't believe what you hear on the internet. But...if you see it on the news it must be true!! That is the very first hurdle that must be jumped before you compile your info/argument.

    2. Compile a graph/info showing the relationship between the level of crime and the gun control. From what I have seen, the states with less gun control also have lower crime rates.

    3. This one will be difficult; the number of dramatic gun crimes reported as opposed to never hearing the times guns were used to prevent crime.

    4. Make an effort to make our schools safer instead of blaming the gun. Identity programs were instituted to protect our children from predators in school zones. No one even suggested that predators must be branded as such or wear a sign proclaiming their offenses. That's humiliating and unacceptable in our society. So they increased security in school zones to protect the children.
    If guns are a problem; install bullet proof glass and a double foyer access to the buildings. Nah...it's easier to scream for more gun control.

    5. Make the point that most gun crimes are committed with either a stolen gun or one obtained illegally.

    6. If regulation is the way to go; ask how the prohibition era worked for the alcohol regulation. OR..how the war on drugs has worked for them!

    7. See #1...till you have an outlet to reach the masses.. none of it matters.

    JMO

  13. #13
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Ok, I am in, my other post said this as well, serious answer to a serious question. Mods need to stop getting rid of things they personally disagree with and let the conversation continue.
    Careful you are walking the fine line of a personal attack on the mods.

    Now on topic

    Here in AZ some counties have a sworn force of reserve deputies/posse's . http://www.mcsoposse.org/ They have full arrest powers. They often are volunteers usually and perform many valuable functions after completing a training program. Why not expand this idea nation wide and have school posse's? This let's the districts off the hook for liability and gives younger people, veterans, or retirees a valuable chance to gain training and experience in a LE role while serving their community.

    We will never stop the nuts until they know the schools are no longer a shoot the fish in the barrel fun zone for them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #14
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    The only GFZ's / Signage that works are the ones in the movies.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  15. #15
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: Obama's 'Gun Violence Task Force': Enough bickering. Time to act.

    OK I'm seeing a few good ideas. Freeina good idea. Also I agree that we need a media outlet first. Any ideas on how to get some air time?
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 12-21-2012 at 09:58 PM.

  16. #16
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    Well, let me explain my focus:

    Legislation will be coming down the pipe, and the media is spinning a lot of gun control rhetoric. What we need to do first, I think, is focus on public opinion. We need pro gun media, if this means a huge event somewhere, fine. We need to show politicians we're still here, and we need those who may be on the fence to hear both sides, because right now the general impressionable public is pretty much only seeing the anti-gun side of things.

    Proposing our own legislation is good too, and I know Phil was working on some constitutional carry legislation, but in our current political climate, this stuff won't get passed. We need support first. We need to be in the public eye. If this gets swept under the rug, then our media voice opportunity will be gone, and all people will remember seeing is the anti-gun press. This is time sensitive.

    So, I'm thinking a demonstration or event or something of that nature is required.
    The Second Amendment March Board is discussing this. We may have some event at the state capitol. It's still in the discussing stage, but we are leaning toward doing something.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  17. #17
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    I dont know what your problem is with me, but my posts were well within OPs requests. Deleting them was out of line. I was very careful to respect his wishes.

    Evil, PM sent.,
    Fine, I give up. Everyone can judge for themselves how useful the posts were. I don't know why I try.....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  18. #18
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    You are already looking for compromises. How about if we not take the liberties away from either group? Just a thought.
    Well, that's just it- how do we do that? Keep both sides liberty, AND safety? I have no idea.

    I'm pretty sure a massive media campaign or another poorly attended 2nd Amendment march is going to win over any of the 'opposition'.

    Media and lobbying have worked so well for the NRA; they've even alienated a good number of more moderate gun owners, as evidenced by many posts on this and similar forums. They've staked out the far end of the continuum, alienated the middle, and are completely dismissed as the lunatic fringe by the other end (the anti gun lunatic fringe).

    So far, what I've seen of rallies at the capital, they're poorly attended, and attract what I would call the fringe element, giving the media plenty of fodder for sensationalized articles that marginalize the attendees. Did anyone notice that the NRA spokesman was wearing a SUIT, and not camouflage? He wasn't carrying a weapon? He was presenting ideas, which are infinitely more powerful than any firearm.

    The pen is, indeed, mightier than the sword.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  19. #19
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Careful you are walking the fine line of a personal attack on the mods.

    Now on topic

    Here in AZ some counties have a sworn force of reserve deputies/posse's . http://www.mcsoposse.org/ They have full arrest powers. They often are volunteers usually and perform many valuable functions after completing a training program. Why not expand this idea nation wide and have school posse's? This let's the districts off the hook for liability and gives younger people, veterans, or retirees a valuable chance to gain training and experience in a LE role while serving their community.

    We will never stop the nuts until they know the schools are no longer a shoot the fish in the barrel fun zone for them.
    Schools are governmental agencies; they can be shamed into taking responsibility for the children in their care.

    What about churches, temples, synagogues, movie theaters, and the like?

    As for me and mine, we stay out of free fire zones; if more did, perhaps they'd feel the economic pinch. Problem is, many don't acknowledge the risk, or feel the odds are in their favor, that a mass shooting won't occur while they are present (and unarmed).
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  20. #20
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    Tell it friend. Question is, what do we do first, especially here in Michigan? We have Stabenow and Levin in Washington, and we have been deceived by those who are elected by us, in a total red state. After 5225, 59, and a half session of nothing, Im not sure where to place my bets.

    Next thing on the radar for us, would have been private property rights being re instated in vehicles, and preemption. Considering whats going on in Lansing right now, does not inspire a feeling of confidence.
    So, is there a suggestion in there, somewhere?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  21. #21
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    I'll shoot for whatever is within range.
    Nice choice of words. That'll win with moderates over. Still waiting for that great suggestion......
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  22. #22
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Are you suggesting that police are anti-2A?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    It's a know fact some are very anti 2A, or at least they have the opinion non-LEOs shouldn't have guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    I'm not suggesting that Cops are anti 2A, though like with any profession, some are. My point in mentioning this was that many departments have been, in the past, resistant to our efforts, and to use your own judgement as to whether or not that fact has any bearing on what you post.

    But this isn't really relevant to the thread, is it? Do you have any thoughts on the actual topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I am in.
    Clearly some LEO and LEA's are anti 2A, not all, but some.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Yes, it is, because it sounds like you are advocating secrecy so the police do not find out what we are going to do and thus (unlawfully) try to prevent us from doing--something. That has bearing on what we do, how we do it, and how we organize. If they are not anti-2A there is nothing to fear from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Ok, I am in, my other post said this as well, serious answer to a serious question. Mods need to stop getting rid of things they personally disagree with and let the conversation continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    I dont know what your problem is with me, but my posts were well within OPs requests. Deleting them was out of line. I was very careful to respect his wishes.

    Evil, PM sent.,
    These are the posts that were deleted; as you can see, they offer deep insight into the problem, and offer thoughtful solutions. Judge for yourselves.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  23. #23
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Well, that's just it- how do we do that? Keep both sides liberty, AND safety? I have no idea.

    I'm pretty sure a massive media campaign or another poorly attended 2nd Amendment march is going to win over any of the 'opposition'.

    Media and lobbying have worked so well for the NRA; they've even alienated a good number of more moderate gun owners, as evidenced by many posts on this and similar forums. They've staked out the far end of the continuum, alienated the middle, and are completely dismissed as the lunatic fringe by the other end (the anti gun lunatic fringe).

    So far, what I've seen of rallies at the capital, they're poorly attended, and attract what I would call the fringe element, giving the media plenty of fodder for sensationalized articles that marginalize the attendees. Did anyone notice that the NRA spokesman was wearing a SUIT, and not camouflage? He wasn't carrying a weapon? He was presenting ideas, which are infinitely more powerful than any firearm.

    The pen is, indeed, mightier than the sword.
    Yes the pen is mightier than the sword but the pen is useless without the sword to enforce the words the pen wrote. And that is why those who use the pen to write words of law that control the masses never ever give up their swords even while they write laws so the masses will not be allowed to have their own swords.

    And History shows the only way the masses have to get rid of bad words written by pens in the hands of tyrants is to use.......... swords.

    What do I mean by all of that? While the pen is powerful it is only as powerful as the swords that uphold that power. Let us not allow ourselves to be fooled into laying down our swords nor let us be intimidated into thinking that we should hide our swords for without our swords the only pen that is powerful is the one in the hands of those .... in power.

    As for the idea of "safety"... that is an illusion foisted upon society by those who fear reality. There is no such thing as "safety".. no one is ever "safe".. and there is no right to be "safe".

    Life never was "safe" and it never will be "safe". All that can ever be done is to prepare to defend from the uncertainty and the unsafe condition called... life.

    As for the media? The media runs on what ever sells the most newspapers/gets the most listeners/viewers/brings the most advertising dollars. The media runs on the sensationalism the majority of the people desire to see. So it isn't the media that is to blame... it is the sensation seeking masses who want to see blood and guts instead of peace and love. Face it... peace and love is boring but blood and guts is exciting. So instead of blaming the media we need to look at what happened to create a society that considers the excitement of blood and guts to be entertaining.

    Now... to address poorly attended rallys and events. Lots of folks want to watch blood and guts stuff happen to someone else but are too afraid to put themselves at risk of being one of those folks they see on TV being hassled or even arrested for actually standing up for what they believe in. What to do? I honestly don't know since I can't even convince friends who say they believe in the 2nd Amendment to grow the 'nads to open carry alongside me.

    But just because others don't, or won't, doesn't mean I shouldn't.

    Edited to have the last sentence express exactly what I wanted it to.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 12-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  24. #24
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Yes the pen is mightier than the sword but the pen is useless without the sword to enforce the words the pen wrote. And that is why those who use the pen to write words of law that control the masses never ever give up their swords even while they write laws so the masses will not be allowed to have their own swords.

    And History shows the only way the masses have to get rid of bad words written by pens in the hands of tyrants is to use.......... swords.

    What do I mean by all of that? While the pen is powerful it is only as powerful as the swords that uphold that power. Let us not allow ourselves to be fooled into laying down our swords nor let us be intimidated into thinking that we should hide our swords for without our swords the only pen that is powerful is the one in the hands of those .... in power.

    As for the idea of "safety"... that is an illusion foisted upon society by those who fear reality. There is no such thing as "safety".. no one is ever "safe".. and there is no right to be "safe".

    Life never was "safe" and it never will be "safe". All that can ever be done is to prepare to defend from the uncertainty and the unsafe condition called... life.

    As for the media? The media runs on what ever sells the most newspapers/gets the most listeners/viewers/brings the most advertising dollars. The media runs on the sensationalism the majority of the people desire to see. So it isn't the media that is to blame... it is the sensation seeking masses who want to see blood and guts instead of peace and love. Face it... peace and love is boring but blood and guts is exciting. So instead of blaming the media we need to look at what happened to create a society that considers the excitement of blood and guts to be entertaining.

    Now... to address poorly attended rallys and events. Lots of folks want to watch blood and guts stuff happen to someone else but are too afraid to put themselves at risk of being one of those folks they see on TV being hassled or even arrested for actually standing up for what they believe in. What to do? I honestly don't know since I can't even convince friends who say they believe in the 2nd Amendment to grow the 'nads to open carry alongside me.

    But just because others don't, or won't, doesn't mean I shouldn't.

    Edited to have the last sentence express exactly what I wanted it to.
    Agreed- far too many lack the conviction of their words, but the larger majority, I fear, are too comfortable in their ignorance or apathy. How do we move them from their comfort zone, without lowering ourselves to the level of those who would use sensationalism? What is the rallying cry that will stir those who just don't care?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  25. #25
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    Um, the last post you listed was my last post, what about the first two? I see they are back up now, thank you.
    Neil, did you have something to contribute to the discussion, or just working on post count?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •