• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The NRA Response? Lame.

eye95

Armed guards?

That idea denies the foundation of the 2A: the armed CITIZEN.

Armed guards are one step, but a more effective one would be armed teachers. Yes, in an environment where there are immature (and some delinquent) juveniles, I can understand why there would need to be additional training required before a teacher or staff member would be allowed to carry. But every teacher--who has been trained and follows proper procedures to ensure that his firearm does not fall into the hands of the children, while maintaining ready accessibility to it--should be allowed, and even encouraged, to carry.

That is the best (really the only) way to protect the children. I am disappoint in (but not surprised by) the NRA and its lame solution.

skeith5

I first thought the same as you. As I thought about it more my belief is that this situation is more palatable than the NRA suggesting that teachers be armed, therefore more chance to get support. I would rather have those teachers that want to be armed given that opportunity but I don't think the NRA's idea is horrible.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

bellyfat

good intentions.

i think he has good intentions but , listening to the presentation, it was confusing.
it bounced from police to teachers to retired vets to civic minded volunteers. it gave the anti's too much ammo.
i would like to see the honors given to retired vets and retired police. but i am not either one of those. at the same time i would volunteer.
one of the most frequent arguments was the cost. he should have emphasized the volunteer aspect more and stayed away from hire'ing
more police. IMO

Redbaron007

IIRC, he did both.....asked for armed guards and allow those who wish to be armed be armed.

What was the compromise? :confused:

From a political point, he put the democrats on the defensive now because of the school funding that was eradicated, true or not. The dems now have to explain why it was removed....it plants a seed that this could (maybe/maybe not) Sandy Hook could have been avoided. It will be interesting to see how this gets played.

Piers Morgan is doing his best to provide as much dis-information as he can. I watched him for the 4th time since he has been on......he doesn't really want to tell the facts....just his spin on the facts.

Under the circumstances, I think LaPierre did a good job. Now the ball is in the politicians hands.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
In my estimation, the NRA's is an intelligent approach.

Remember how politics works... Compromise and negotiation may sound like dirty words, but they always take place before a bill becomes law.

The genius of the approach the NRA has taken lies, in part, in changing the subject of the conversation. Now, when talking compromise, we can talk about how many armed people should be protecting our schoolchildren, how we pay for it (which is where armed citizenry [my preference] vs police enters the conversation), and so on.

Soccer moms scream, "We have to act now!" Now, we can reply (with equal emotion) that we agree, and discuss whether police, armed parents, or both should be the on-site protection.

Soccer moms scream, "We need gun control!" Now, we can point instead (with irrefutable logic) to a national discussion on a solution to yield actual protection, and suggest she focus on helping to address the problem instead of attacking the parents' civil rights.

Soccer moms scream, "Guns are evil!" Now, we can point instead to a national discussion on the evil of glorifying criminal violence through entertainment. (No one is suggesting banning media, gamers.)

Now, though we may not agree with everything in the speech, we have a rallying point. This can be referenced in our calls and e-mails to our elected representatives, when we make our reasoned points not solely as reactionaries, but as constituents seeking solutions.

Of course, I'll remind these representatives that I'm a gun own, and I vote on that basis.

To expand on one point, now that the conversation has turned, in part, to good guys with guns protecting our children, we can discuss the best way to do it.

Though discussed at the federal level, I expect anything that's implemented will vary greatly be state. Repressive states like NJ, MD, or CA will likely continue to reject addition protection, preferring the status quo that brought us the tragedy in CT. Freer states (I hope VA is among them) may decide that armed protection from school admin/teachers/parents, who are already in the schools, through eliminating laws preventing carry in schools, is a better approach in terms of both finances and reduced Federal Government intrusion.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The NRA should not have offered any solutions...just note that the town of newtown did not protect the kids where they were mandated by law to be ... so they cannot even protect kids from aggression. Nice job newtown, ct !

eye95

"You, the parents and civic leaders of Newtown, Connecticut, let your precious children be killed."

It is both a logical and emotional argument. Those who support the 2A should keep repeating it just that simply, until it, not guns, becomes the topic of most discussions.

I know they are hurting and that these words will add to that hurt. But their hurt should move them to change their behavior, and not us to change ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

davidmcbeth

Banned
"You, the parents and civic leaders of Newtown, Connecticut, let your precious children be killed."

It is both a logical and emotional argument. Those who support the 2A should keep repeating it just that simply, until it, not guns, becomes the topic of most discussions.

I know they are hurting and that these words will add to that hurt. But their hurt should move them to change their behavior, and not us to change ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Newtown is already circling their wagons ... refusing to disclose records under a FOIA request

KBCraig

I disagree.

If they had only called for armed guards, that would be "lame" ("inadequate"; "ineffective"; "fall short of the goal").

Instead, they also called for a national mental health database, which is insanely dangerous, and a way to administratively deny anyone their right to arms.