• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Permit Application Process in Hampton, VA

shadow247

So I am looking to get my CC permit processed. I want to make sure things go as smoothly as possible. I have the forms that were given to me by the instructor at the class, but it is vague as to the actual process. I know I need to get fingerprinted, but where the heck do I go to do that. After my experience with registering my vehicles and getting my drivers license when I moved here from Texas 2 years ago (5 trips to the DMV, 3 for registration, then 2 more for my license, they wouldn't process my license and registration paperwork at the same time), I am not excited to deal with the local government in Hampton again. I won't even get into my experience attempting to vote in the recent presidential election, unless of course someone asks.

Please help.

Edited..

To keep this OC related, open carried at Domino's Pizza on Mercury without a second glance from any staff or customers. I did wear a black sweater, with black holster and black gun, so many may not have even noticed it.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So I am looking to get my CC permit processed. I want to make sure things go as smoothly as possible. I have the forms that were given to me by the instructor at the class, but it is vague as to the actual process. I know I need to get fingerprinted, but where the heck do I go to do that. After my experience with registering my vehicles and getting my drivers license when I moved here from Texas 2 years ago (5 trips to the DMV, 3 for registration, then 2 more for my license, they wouldn't process my license and registration paperwork at the same time), I am not excited to deal with the local government in Hampton again. I won't even get into my experience attempting to vote in the recent presidential election, unless of course someone asks.

Please help.

Edited..

To keep this OC related, open carried at Domino's Pizza on Mercury without a second glance from any staff or customers. I did wear a black sweater, with black holster and black gun, so many may not have even noticed it.

250px-Castle_Romeo.jpg

2a4all

Please help.

Edited..

Shadow, when did you take this "class"? The fingerprint requirement was deleted by a change in state law which became effective 7/1/2012.

You need to download a current version of the Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) from the Virginia State Police web site (http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2012.pdf)

Follow the instructions, and send the completed, notarized application, along with the required fee, to the Hampton Clerk of the Circuit Court (The circuit court issues CHPs). If this is your 1st CHP, you'll need to include proof of competency with a handgun. Your certificate from you course should be OK. You can also go to the courthouse in person and handle things there.

Good luck.

shadow247

While I appreciate you attempt to make light of my post, and somehow infer that I am "blowing up" with this post, this is a serious post. I have been searching and searching and not been able to find any good and definitive information on the process. I am going to have to take time off from work in order to process my application, so I can only afford to go once. I know there are many members in Hampton and there are many on here who have their permit, so this seemed like a natural place to ask the question. If this post is in bad taste, please inform me and I will be be happy to edit my posts and remove any and all "offensive" content.

shadow247

Shadow, when did you take this "class"? The fingerprint requirement was deleted by a change in state law which became effective 7/1/2012.

You need to download a current version of the Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) from the Virginia State Police web site (http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2012.pdf)

Follow the instructions, and send the completed, notarized application, along with the required fee, to the Hampton Clerk of the Circuit Court (The circuit court issues CHPs). If this is your 1st CHP, you'll need to include proof of competency with a handgun. Your certificate from you course should be OK. You can also go to the courthouse in person and handle things there.

Good luck.

I took the class in October of 2011 when I purchased my first handgun. Work/life/finances have gotten in the way and I am just now getting around to completing my application. Thanks for the information.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While I appreciate you attempt to make light of my post, and somehow infer that I am "blowing up" with this post, this is a serious post. I have been searching and searching and not been able to find any good and definitive information on the process. I am going to have to take time off from work in order to process my application, so I can only afford to go once. I know there are many members in Hampton and there are many on here who have their permit, so this seemed like a natural place to ask the question. If this post is in bad taste, please inform me and I will be be happy to edit my posts and remove any and all "offensive" content.

This is in bad taste! While many members are more understanding, this is an OC board....not an OC until you get your CHP board.

At any rate, your question has been answered!

Last edited:

shadow247

This is in bad taste!

Surely you jest. Thanks for making me laugh though! :banana:

Hopefully we can me at a event in the future and laugh about it. I am new to the world of carrying firearms, but not new to shooting in general. I will be joining the VCDL as soon as funds allow.

The only reason I want to get my permit is that I don't want to have to worry about my shirt falling over my gun and putting me in an illegal concealed carry position. I plan to OC 99% of the time.

Last edited:

shadow247

Glad you think it's so *** **** funny!
Come on man, comments like these really turn people off from places like this. I have been lurking for weeks now and tried to absorb as much information as I can before making a post. Unfortunately, there is so much information/misinformation out there on this subject that it's hard to know who to trust. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Shadow, when did you take this "class"?

I'd love to know this as well.

The fingerprint requirement was deleted by a change in state law which became effective 7/1/2012.

Correct. Your instructor should have explained the process, and the fact that prints are no longer required (which again, begs the answer to the first question)

You need to download a current version of the Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) from the Virginia State Police web site (http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2012.pdf)[/quoute]

Good luck.

Also correct.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
While I appreciate you attempt to make light of my post, and somehow infer that I am "blowing up" with this post, this is a serious post.

Don't take offense. Some folks here adhere to the strict concept of this forum, that it is for OC stuff only. They don't like CC, which is their right. Other folks could go either way...No harm, no foul either way.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't take offense. Some folks here adhere to the strict concept of this forum, that it is for OC stuff only. They don't like CC, which is their right. Other folks could go either way...No harm, no foul either way.

I'm just cranky because I have to fix my tractor and the home cooking site is down, so I can't get any help with how to do it Jim.:p

shadow247

I was not offended in any way. What offends me is having to ask permission to carry my firearm and constantly worry that I am somehow breaking an arbitrary set of rules when doing so. Being 39 degrees when I left the house makes it tough to open carry. There is not much dignity in cramming the side of your sweater into your belt to ensure you don't accidentally conceal your weapon. I also ride a motorcycle and again it is tough to carry openly when wearing a motorcycle jacket.

mobeewan

I renewed mine in person earlier this year in Hampton. They tried to make me fill out 2 separate applications. One was to go to the police for the background check. I refused to fill out the second copy of the application citing state law did not require filling out 2. They Xeroxed the original then tried to get me to sign both when they were to swear me in. I refused to sign the copy citing it was not necessary under state law. Then they had me wait to see the Clerk of Court, Linda Smith. Talked with her a while and she said it was necessary to have the second signed copy for the police so that they knew that I had actually signed it when they had sent it over for the background check. Told her how they consulted with police for the background check was up to them but I was not required to sign a second copy. She didn't give me a hard time and said that she had always tried to ensure the permit process went smoothly and that I was the first to refuse signing the second copy. She said she would go ahead and process the permit and see if the police rejected it. I reminded her of the 45 day limit and that I would want my temporary permit if there was a problem with he police. I wrote her a check and she had me sign the original under oath and she signed it and gave me a receipt. Got mine in the mail, but the issue date was before my old permit was to expire. I called to get that fixed and they sent me a new one with the corrected dates, but an office clerk held it up, supposedly because she had to notify the local and state police of the changes before sending me the replacement. So if they give you a hard time about 2 copies, stand your ground. They don't need 2.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Shadow247 -

Welcome to OCDO.

Perhaps you are confused because the instructions are simple and straight forward, which usually confuses folks who are used to dealing with bumbling bureauracracy. Send the form, signed and notarized, along with a check or money order made out to the Clerk of (______) Circuit Court, or haul yourself down to the courthouse and hand the application to them in person. (This being your first CHP (not CC anything) you will need to submit proof of competency. As has been noted, the certificate you got from your class is sufficient.)

As mowbeewan noted, the packet consists of the application, your proof of competency (for the first application only) and your paying the fee.

Mobeewan stood his ground and did so quite well. The only thing I can add as a Monday Morning Quarterback is reminding him that the Clerk (or any of their deputies) can make testee, certified, or true copies to send to the police - and they can do it with a stroke of the pen. Now imagine if another person came in and held the Clerk to the letter of the law. Imagine if three people came in - imagine if they came in together and did it in three-part harmony. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKF7aQthcQ Just watch out or you may be told to go sit on the Group W bench.:lol:

stay safe.

Last edited:

jsfrederick

Shadow247 -
Now imagine if another person came in and held the Clerk to the letter of the law. Imagine if three people came in - imagine if they came in together and did it in three-part harmony. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKF7aQthcQ Just watch out or you may be told to go sit on the Group W bench.:lol:

stay safe.

Skid, you are TOO funny. Arlo would be proud!

shadow247

Shadow247 -

Welcome to OCDO.

Perhaps you are confused because the instructions are simple and straight forward, which usually confuses folks who are used to dealing with bumbling bureauracracy. Send the form, signed and notarized, along with a check or money order made out to the Clerk of (______) Circuit Court, or haul yourself down to the courthouse and hand the application to them in person. (This being your first CHP (not CC anything) you will need to submit proof of competency. As has been noted, the certificate you got from your class is sufficient.)

As mowbeewan noted, the packet consists of the application, your proof of competency (for the first application only) and your paying the fee.

Mobeewan stood his ground and did so quite well. The only thing I can add as a Monday Morning Quarterback is reminding him that the Clerk (or any of their deputies) can make testee, certified, or true copies to send to the police - and they can do it with a stroke of the pen. Now imagine if another person came in and held the Clerk to the letter of the law. Imagine if three people came in - imagine if they came in together and did it in three-part harmony. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKF7aQthcQ Just watch out or you may be told to go sit on the Group W bench.:lol:

stay safe.

Skidmark,

I took my class in October 2011 at the Scope Center in Norfolk. As of then the fingerprinting requirement was still in effect. Good to know I no longer have to go through that. I'm assuming I can have my form notarized at a bank? I have never had to have anything notorized.

scouser

Skidmark,

I took my class in October 2011 at the Scope Center in Norfolk. As of then the fingerprinting requirement was still in effect. Good to know I no longer have to go through that. I'm assuming I can have my form notarized at a bank? I have never had to have anything notorized.

A Suntrust bank will notarize free of charge. If you choose to apply in person at the court then the court should be able to notarize your signature, just don't sign the part that's supposed to be notarized until you're in the presence of the notary. When I went to Henrico for mine the clerk notarized my application with no fuss at all, don't know how others have fared doing that though.