• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing, Driving, and Pretext Traffic Stops

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey, fellas. Thought you should know. The Washington Supreme Court just knocked a big hole in Ladson that formerly offered some protection from pretext stops.

This latest case is State vs Chacon Arreola. Essentially, they said that if the cop has an actual, conscious, and independent legal reason for traffic-stopping you, then the stop is constitutional. Meaning, if the cop isn't stupid enough to come out and say he stopped you on the pretext of a burned out brake bulb so he could fish for suspected gun violation or marihuanna, it works for the courts. That is to say, as long as the cop tells the court his pretext was an independent and conscious reason, the courts will approve.

Excerpt:

A mixed-motive stop does not violate article I, section 7 so long as the police

officer making the stop exercises discretion appropriately. Thus, if a police officer

makes an independent and conscious determination that a traffic stop to address a

suspected traffic infraction is reasonably necessary in furtherance of traffic safety and

the general welfare, the stop is not pretextual. That remains true even if the legitimate

reason for the stop is secondary and the officer is motivated primarily by a hunch or

some other reason that is insufficient to justify a stop. In such a case, the legitimate

ground is an independent cause of the stop, and privacy is justifiably disturbed due to

the need to enforce traffic regulations, as determined by an appropriate exercise of

police discretion.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/index.cfm?fa=opinions.showOpinion&filename=866104MAJ

Just reading the court's reasoning makes me want to toss my cookies. They cover it up with high-sounding verbal garbage to the effect that trial courts should take into account subjective intent as well as objective circumstances in determining whether the cop abused his discretion. Hahahhahahahahahah!!! All the cop has to do is utter the magic words: conscious and independent. It doesn't take a law degree to know what little shift in viewpoint and testimony is going to occur. Hell, the police academy instructors are probably already re-writing their lecture notes to teach students how to make a pretext stop look legitimate.

I'll have a drink in loving memory of the protection y'all lost this day. Sorry, fellas.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
That remains true even if the legitimate reason for the stop is secondary and the officer is motivated primarily by a hunch or some other reason that is insufficient to justify a stop.

This is not Law, this is a way to get around the Constitution. The last election has empowered these people to trash the Document and start over. I support that if they do it in some other country. I see all too many people in power telling me they want to "scrap" the 2A.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Wow, sad. Disappointed in the decision. One step closer to stop, show me your papers. :(

Jeff Hayes

Well.....................if you got nothing to hide.......................................UMMM................... never mind