Thread: LE gun buy back programs

LE gun buy back programs

What is your thoughts about LE having a gun buy back program so that people can bring in un-wanted guns, and help get them off the streets. NOTE: my last staement was with tounge in cheek.
    I feel the only ones who are selling guns to LE our people who have stolen a gun from Good Ole' grandma or Grand pops, who may not miss it for weeks months or years, or someone who just needs money for some more drugs. In other words most who sell there guns to LE, just need money for drugs. So LE has become a legal way to sell a stolen or illegal gun, with no questions asked. So is it a good thing, or does it hurt innocent people, who have had property stolen. What is your thoughts on this. Is there any data as to where these guns come from.
    Im not being pro or con here, just asking the question.
    I am not a gun nut, nor am I a nut with a gun
    I simply rufuse to be a helpless victim, I may be unable to stop myself from being a victim but at least I wont be helpless

Isn't stealing from grandma/pa a crime? If they stole it from them, chances are they don't have it now to turn into the LEA buy back program. Further thinking, if they did still have it, more then likely they have potentially committed other crimes, which means the LEOs may be out looking for them....so they won't go to the po-po to sell a gun. Just thinking out loud.

Name:  hmmm.gif
Views: 272
Size:  2.3 KB
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Perhaps the OP was suggesting that it was stolen from grandma specifically to get money from a buy-back program. Maybe the OP forgot to mention that LEO buy-back programs are typically "anonymous" and that it would not be known that the buy-back participant was a criminal. It would be reasonable to ask if the guns collected in a buy-back program were verified stolen or not and if there is an effort to return the stolen weapons to their rightful owner. Further, are these firearms destroyed? If so, is this done right away or is some time given so that gramps or grandma can realize the theft and have an opportunity to reclaim their property?
    Last edited by georg jetson; 12-22-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Perhaps the OP was suggesting that it was stolen from grandma specifically to get money from a buy-back program. Maybe the OP forgot to mention that LEO buy-back programs are typically "anonymous" and that it would not be known that the buy-back participant was a criminal. It would be reasonable to ask if the guns collected in a buy-back program were verified stolen or not and if there is an effort to return the stolen weapons to their rightful owner. Further, are these firearms destroyed? If so, is this done right away or is some time given so that gramps or grandma can realize the theft and have an opportunity to reclaim their property?
    From what the OP stated, not sure how you leap to those conclusions, but you did.

Anonymous is anonymous?......Now with modern times and electronics, don't they have and use facial recognition and photos to view.....so anonymous is not as anonymous as you think. They don't have to have your social and signature to 'ask' who you are. If you look like a suspect on file, well, the rest is open for discussion.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Not bad, probably a little bit good

I think gun buy-back efforts are mostly feel-good operations by LE, community groups and politicians. There seem to be very few functioning and truly risk producing guns that get taken out of circulation. The number of guns taken out of the system is the numerator. The denominator is the total guns in the system. An extremely small fraction. Hard to figure how many zeroes to put to the right of the decimal point when speciying a percentage. . . Still, I'm sure a few injuries are prevented along the way. A few lives are even being saved. Maybe.

The thing that every once in a while they'll show pictures of some gorgeous Smith revolvers being turned in --- FOR FIFTY BUCKS!

Breaks my heart, since they almost always get destroyed.

I have heard that some buy-backs do in fact check records to see if the guns are stolen--and attempt return to proper owners. But not all buy-back efforts are handled so ethically. Probably should be a law that would force them to do it right.

Or, even better, have a public auction for all turned in guns that are "clean."

Gun Buy Back = Sheeple conditioning for Gun Confiscation

Quote Originally Posted by HankT View Post
    I think gun buy-back efforts are mostly feel-good operations by LE, community groups and politicians. There seem to be very few functioning and truly risk producing guns that get taken out of circulation. The number of guns taken out of the system is the numerator. The denominator is the total guns in the system. An extremely small fraction. Hard to figure how many zeroes to put to the right of the decimal point when speciying a percentage. . . Still, I'm sure a few injuries are prevented along the way. A few lives are even being saved. Maybe.

The thing that every once in a while they'll show pictures of some gorgeous Smith revolvers being turned in --- FOR FIFTY BUCKS!

Breaks my heart, since they almost always get destroyed.

I have heard that some buy-backs do in fact check records to see if the guns are stolen--and attempt return to proper owners. But not all buy-back efforts are handled so ethically. Probably should be a law that would force them to do it right.

Or, even better, have a public auction for all turned in guns that are "clean."
    I have been to two gun buy backs in Virginia buying guns before they are turned in. It is very creepy seeing people line up to turn in guns to their local police. The way people are treated at these events is less than appropriate. It is conditioning.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

if mem serves the Oregon folk quite successfully stand outside w/permission and review and buy selected firearms, antiques, etc., to keep them from being destroyed for the sake of being destroyed...

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Yes, I am suggesting the gun sold to LE may have been stolen out of someone closet, or from under a bed. I had a gun stolen, just one, I didnt miss it for a few months, as it was in a corner with some other guns, then deer season came around.We went looking for it, it was gone.
    I am not a gun nut, nor am I a nut with a gun
    I simply rufuse to be a helpless victim, I may be unable to stop myself from being a victim but at least I wont be helpless

Banned
    I have some old dishes too .. will the gov't buy back these too?

Gov't should stay out of such things. They should not even accept guns. They are not FFLs.

I have heard gun dealers talk about using them as a chance to unload their "junk guns", i.e. all the Saturday Night Specials and other cheap stuff with no real resale value that comes in on trades.

As a revolver lover and sort of collector, I too hate seeing all the beautiful old Smiths and Colts get turned in. If I were to hear of one in Kentucky, I'd be more than happy to stand a block away with a stack of $100 bills and grab every old Military & Police or Official Police or whatever else happens by. I wonder how many Registered Magnums or other rarities have been destroyed in buy-backs.

Founder's Club Member
    All that is needed is to hear the term "gun buy-back", and you know its wrong, bad, stupid, etc.

Police didn't sell the guns to the citizens; thus government cannot buy them back. So, the very name of the program is a lie. Of course, if government is involved, its a given there will be lies.

These are just covert disarmament schemes. Moreover, cops know these are not "street" guns, yet are happy to promote how many guns are sold to the programs. Thus, these programs are also about PR image for police.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Re: LE gun buy back programs

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Police didn't sell the guns to the citizens; thus government cannot buy them back.
    After Fast and Furious, are you really able to state that with such certainty? Maybe they've been trying to tell us something all along...

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTolerance View Post
    After Fast and Furious, are you really able to state that with such certainty? Maybe they've been trying to tell us something all along...
    Bwahahhahahahahahahahaahahaaaa!!!

Obviously another federal grant for local police!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

LE gun buy back programs

I thought gun buy backs were bad. Then I heard about that in Maine there is a couple of guys who will destroy the guns you turn in with a torch and saw, all for free. That literally almost made me cry.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy Sprocket View Post
    I thought gun buy backs were bad. Then I heard about that in Maine there is a couple of guys who will destroy the guns you turn in with a torch and saw, all for free. That literally almost made me cry.
    Don't watch the YouTube video about the gun confiscation in England. Multiple scenes of power saws with composite blades through the gun receivers.