Thread: Gun safe

Gun safe

Question: Do you think it would be a good investment to buy a gun safe for my guns? I own two hand guns and a shot gun and a assult rifle.

An armed society is a polite society.

Gregg

Gun safe

I have 2 hand guns and a shotgun and I am looking at getting a safe because I can place other stuff in it. I have been looking at a liberty safe

Definately.- I have a safe that is bolted to the ground and placed up against a wall secured in place by a vehicle with the key hidden. If someone were to attempt to steal the safe they first must break the bolts and the second figure out a way to move a 2000+ lb vehicle with out the key.
    Last edited by Glock 1st fan; 12-22-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Definitely invest in a gun safe. Guns and ammo not in use should be secured. Just make certain that you purchase one that is larger than you anticipate needing... because eventually it will be filled with new acquisitions.

Absolutely get a safe!
    And bolt it to the floor, no matter how heavy it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Get a safe about three times larger that you think you need. Additional guns, family keepsakes, place to hide presents, etc., will fill up any space left over, then you will wish you had bought a larger safe. No matter how big, you will always want more.

My attitude toward safes is a bit different than others, but I think it bears consideration.

Look at your risks. My highest risk by far is forest fire, so for my Fire performence is much more important than anything else. Being able to build it into say a closet is secondary,

Other peoples highest risk may be burglary, there, IMHO, you look for a hideable, or something that can be built in and worry about fire, but it will not be your highest priority. If you haven't noticed, I do not trust safe locks to keep skilled thieves out more than a couple minutes. Thieves cannot defete the lock of a safe they cannot find.

Next, it may be your "gun" safe, but in the end it is a "valuables" safe. When you size your safe take into consideration all the valuables you may want to protect from fire or theft. There is no reason your wife's aunts fancy jewery that she inheited cannot go in Your gun safe...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhitegm60 View Post
    Question: Do you think it would be a good investment to buy a gun safe for my guns?
    You mean an investment to increase in value? Nah ... other have provided answers otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 1st fan View Post
    Definately.- I have a safe that is bolted to the ground and placed up against a wall secured in place by a vehicle with the key hidden. If someone were to attempt to steal the safe they first must break the bolts and the second figure out a way to move a 2000+ lb vehicle with out the key.
    Well, determined thieves can steel a car with little problems, if you have a good safe with solid locking bolts that would be difficult to open. As far as the bolts into the walls and floor they would do little if the vehicle is used to rip the safe from the wall, unless the floor bolts were anchor rods used for sill plates cast in the concrete. Your safe would be better IMO in a part of the house where a vehicle cannot be used to pull it free and drag it off.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I builted a vault instead blocked off a corner of the basement fire proofed the roof added a valut door'
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Well, determined thieves can steel a car with little problems, if you have a good safe with solid locking bolts that would be difficult to open. As far as the bolts into the walls and floor they would do little if the vehicle is used to rip the safe from the wall, unless the floor bolts were anchor rods used for sill plates cast in the concrete. Your safe would be better IMO in a part of the house where a vehicle cannot be used to pull it free and drag it off.
    Actually you guessed it. Their are anchor rods burried into the concrete. it was built in to the house when I had it built with anti theft in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I builted a vault instead blocked off a corner of the basement fire proofed the roof added a valut door'
    Yep, that is the idea. Just remember to humidity control it, especially if it is the basement. Hidden door in the back of a utility closet works too. Just make sure it is fireproof to. Or as fireproof as you can make it.

I remember one place that burned, pretty much completely, only thing left standing was the vault. It had been made out of brick and morter, and part was a functional fireplace too. You would have never known there was a vault in that house, until it burned.

Buy a safe, leave it empty and open, hide the weapons elsewhere. "Gee, mrs fienstien, I must have been robbed."
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Buy a safe, leave it empty and open, hide the weapons elsewhere. "Gee, mrs fienstien, I must have been robbed."
    If we ever got that far out of whack, I have to wonder how much money they are willing to spend to dig up everybody's yard looking for guns of law abiding citizens.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

If you have it close enough to the wall they wouldn't be able to get the chains around the safe to try and rip it out either. Assuming they can't simply gouge out the wall to force the chains around it.

If we ever got that far out of whack, I have to wonder how much money they are willing to spend to dig up everybody's yard looking for guns of law abiding citizens.
    What's the old axiom? "When you think it's time to bury your guns, it's actually time to use them."

I am toying with getting a Liberty Safe. What do you all feel about this. Two much $$ or should I look at something different for my buck?

Quote Originally Posted by donsadlerjr View Post
    I am toying with getting a Liberty Safe. What do you all feel about this. Two much $$ or should I look at something different for my buck?
    It is up to you to balance cost to security~what is the level of threat where you are? One thing to keep in mind with electronic locks is that a fire fries the circuitry, you will need a plazma cutter to get to your stuff.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

My gun safe has an electronic keypad. If the batteries die or wiring goes haywire, I'm still able to open it with a skeleton key. It's not a high dollar safe but it's works for me.

I once picked up a load of Liberty safes at their Payton, Utah factory. Tried to get the shipping clerk to toss in a spare for me free of charge but he wasn't willing to do it.