• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safe

gwhitegm60

Question: Do you think it would be a good investment to buy a gun safe for my guns? I own two hand guns and a shot gun and a assult rifle.

An armed society is a polite society.

Gregg

donsadlerjr

I have 2 hand guns and a shotgun and I am looking at getting a safe because I can place other stuff in it. I have been looking at a liberty safe

Glock 1st fan

Definately.- I have a safe that is bolted to the ground and placed up against a wall secured in place by a vehicle with the key hidden. If someone were to attempt to steal the safe they first must break the bolts and the second figure out a way to move a 2000+ lb vehicle with out the key.

Last edited:

Keylock

Definitely invest in a gun safe. Guns and ammo not in use should be secured. Just make certain that you purchase one that is larger than you anticipate needing... because eventually it will be filled with new acquisitions. :)

okiephlyer

Get a safe about three times larger that you think you need. Additional guns, family keepsakes, place to hide presents, etc., will fill up any space left over, then you will wish you had bought a larger safe. No matter how big, you will always want more.

hermannr

My attitude toward safes is a bit different than others, but I think it bears consideration.

Look at your risks. My highest risk by far is forest fire, so for my Fire performence is much more important than anything else. Being able to build it into say a closet is secondary,

Other peoples highest risk may be burglary, there, IMHO, you look for a hideable, or something that can be built in and worry about fire, but it will not be your highest priority. If you haven't noticed, I do not trust safe locks to keep skilled thieves out more than a couple minutes. Thieves cannot defete the lock of a safe they cannot find.

Next, it may be your "gun" safe, but in the end it is a "valuables" safe. When you size your safe take into consideration all the valuables you may want to protect from fire or theft. There is no reason your wife's aunts fancy jewery that she inheited cannot go in Your gun safe...

WalkingWolf

Definately.- I have a safe that is bolted to the ground and placed up against a wall secured in place by a vehicle with the key hidden. If someone were to attempt to steal the safe they first must break the bolts and the second figure out a way to move a 2000+ lb vehicle with out the key.

Well, determined thieves can steel a car with little problems, if you have a good safe with solid locking bolts that would be difficult to open. As far as the bolts into the walls and floor they would do little if the vehicle is used to rip the safe from the wall, unless the floor bolts were anchor rods used for sill plates cast in the concrete. Your safe would be better IMO in a part of the house where a vehicle cannot be used to pull it free and drag it off.

Glock 1st fan

Well, determined thieves can steel a car with little problems, if you have a good safe with solid locking bolts that would be difficult to open. As far as the bolts into the walls and floor they would do little if the vehicle is used to rip the safe from the wall, unless the floor bolts were anchor rods used for sill plates cast in the concrete. Your safe would be better IMO in a part of the house where a vehicle cannot be used to pull it free and drag it off.

Actually you guessed it. Their are anchor rods burried into the concrete. it was built in to the house when I had it built with anti theft in mind.

hermannr

I builted a vault instead blocked off a corner of the basement fire proofed the roof added a valut door'

Yep, that is the idea. Just remember to humidity control it, especially if it is the basement. Hidden door in the back of a utility closet works too. Just make sure it is fireproof to. Or as fireproof as you can make it.

I remember one place that burned, pretty much completely, only thing left standing was the vault. It had been made out of brick and morter, and part was a functional fireplace too. You would have never known there was a vault in that house, until it burned.

WalkingWolf

Buy a safe, leave it empty and open, hide the weapons elsewhere. "Gee, mrs fienstien, I must have been robbed."

If we ever got that far out of whack, I have to wonder how much money they are willing to spend to dig up everybody's yard looking for guns of law abiding citizens.

Aknazer

If you have it close enough to the wall they wouldn't be able to get the chains around the safe to try and rip it out either. Assuming they can't simply gouge out the wall to force the chains around it.

Keylock

If we ever got that far out of whack, I have to wonder how much money they are willing to spend to dig up everybody's yard looking for guns of law abiding citizens.

What's the old axiom? "When you think it's time to bury your guns, it's actually time to use them."

donsadlerjr

I am toying with getting a Liberty Safe. What do you all feel about this. Two much $$ or should I look at something different for my buck?

WalkingWolf

I am toying with getting a Liberty Safe. What do you all feel about this. Two much $$ or should I look at something different for my buck?

It is up to you to balance cost to security~what is the level of threat where you are? One thing to keep in mind with electronic locks is that a fire fries the circuitry, you will need a plazma cutter to get to your stuff.

Keylock

My gun safe has an electronic keypad. If the batteries die or wiring goes haywire, I'm still able to open it with a skeleton key. It's not a high dollar safe but it's works for me.

I once picked up a load of Liberty safes at their Payton, Utah factory. Tried to get the shipping clerk to toss in a spare for me free of charge but he wasn't willing to do it. :cry: