• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

vegas_kid

Good Morning guys, I am brand new to the Open Carry world. I had a break in my house last weekend
so that's when I decided it was time to arm myself to protect my family & myself. I'm just a little confused
I was hoping you guys could help me out if possible. I would like to know the Do's and Don't s
when it comes to OC
Thank You in advance

FallonJeeper

Do read the "Where did you carry today and how did it go?" thread and post your own experiences.

Don't worry about being nervous. That feeling will go away.

Welcome! Stay Safe!

vegaspassat

Do: Read as much as you can. Specifically the state laws applicable to the carry of firearms, both in general and for concealed. Use this forum as a tool to ask any questions you have.

Don't: Be afraid to carry, worry about political incorrectness and most importantly - be a victim. Don't believe everything you hear about what is legal and what is not legal. Always verify.

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard, good to hear you made it through a difficult situation that none of us wants to be in. Stick around and read, study, and research. Knowledge is power and most of your questions have already been answered many times. Educate yourself and then share it with others.

vegas_kid

Thank you all. You have made me feel very welcomed. Thanks for the great advice, I will make sure I read every single world on the pamphlet and when ever I open carry in any public place I will make sure I share my experience with all of you

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
DO get some TRAINING!!!!!

You are no more armed because you own a gun than you are a concert musician because you own a piano.

If you have kids under 13, get the Eddie Eagle stuff from the NRA.

Get everyone in the house who is 13 or older through a gun-safety course ASAP.

DO get a good HOLSTER, one which is comfortable and provides suitable retention. If you're not wearing it, put the pistol in a safe and secure place out of the reach of kids.

DO get some PRACTICE, a box per month is good (50 rounds), two boxes is better.

DO learn how to handle the people who are afraid of your pistol, in a way which allows them to rethink their phobia and maybe overcome it (instead of making them angry or hurting their feelings).

DO send $25 to the Second Amendment Foundation, who are working to save your civil rights.

The Big Guy

Welcome to the forum.

All the advice above is great but one important detail was left out. Never, ever, ask a cop questions concerning OC. They either just plain don't know, or they will lie to you. If a cop tells you something, verify it. An unfortunate thing to say but true none the less.

TBG

JoeSparky

Centurion
Welcome to the forum.

All the advice above is great but one important detail was left out. Never, ever, ask a cop questions concerning OC. They either just plain don't know, or they will lie to you. If a cop tells you something, verify it. An unfortunate thing to say but true none the less.

TBG

Not ALL Leo's deserve nor have earned this assessment, but the problem becomes does the ONE you ask actually KNOW or is the answer his OPINION or the opinion of the department he works for. Accepting such info WITHOUT VERIFICATION if it is wrong would make YOU subject to any violations of law you may NOT have committed had you received ACCURATE and CORRECT info.

If I am going to be liable for my actions, I need to review the laws and data and make my OWN determination. In court, the line of "Officer WRONG told me it was legal so I am not guilty" will NOT result in you acquittal!

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Not ALL Leo's deserve nor have earned this assessment,

I disagree, I encourage you to find one who would go on the record, encouraging citizens to lawfully OC. I have yet to hear or read a LEO citing anything but B.S. and conjecture, and when pushed with the letter of the law, sush as NRS 202.3673 they insist that they are enforcing the "spirit of the law." I have dozens of Leo business cards, and countless more names and P#s as well as email contacts, which sometimes come off partial truth at like in this example from last week:
Yeah, when we train I try to get the Troops to realize that search and seizure are more gray than they might want to believe. And I stay close to the fact that privacy is our right, and any violation is an exception to the right. Basically, when in any doubt, don’t search. Get a warrant, or better yet, consent. Just treat people and their property respectfully, and the whole thing gets much easier.

This morning my training division sent me a set of rules they hand out that mis-quotes NRS 202.3673 even worse than my sign did. It is an epidemic, but I am helping them like you helped us.

While the "big boss" eludes to being corrected at the end of the email, he leads with a statement that would disqualify for any officer the legitimacy of the law he now is "upholding," by training to "get a warrant" when you do not have PC to search." Does it seem hopeless to anyone else? lol just kidding!

Vegassteve

I disagree, I encourage you to find one who would go on the record, encouraging citizens to lawfully OC. I have yet to hear or read a LEO citing anything but B.S. and conjecture, and when pushed with the letter of the law, sush as NRS 202.3673 they insist that they are enforcing the "spirit of the law." I have dozens of Leo business cards, and countless more names and P#s as well as email contacts, which sometimes come off partial truth at like in this example from last week:

I could be wrong but, I thought Laurie Bisch has come out in full support of us. I know she is behind us on the repeal of the BC and also behind us on cmpus carry and constitutional carry. I confirmed those last 2 with her last week.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I could be wrong but, I thought Laurie Bisch has come out in full support of us. I know she is behind us on the repeal of the BC and also behind us on cmpus carry and constitutional carry. I confirmed those last 2 with her last week.

I too think that Bisch is a "step up" and would like for her values and morals to be the average cops take in the next 5 years, She has not been quoted to my knowledge in any major media, stumping for OC or Campus Carry Etc. I know she went after Doug on his "Domestic" situation, but what candidate does not do that to their opponent. I want to see the arrest report where she saw police misconduct in her almost 20 years, and actually DID something. Talk is cheap... President Obama supports the 2nd amendment when asked!
We look at his actions not words, I feel the same about the local candidates. Ms. Bisch may stick out when it comes to METRO, but what does that really say?

JoeSparky

Centurion

While the "big boss" eludes to being corrected at the end of the email, he leads with a statement that would disqualify for any officer the legitimacy of the law he now is "upholding," by training to "get a warrant" when you do not have PC to search." Does it seem hopeless to anyone else? lol just kidding!

Since, I assume, you don't KNOW each and every LEO or even OEO you claim of "all" is factually false. I am not picking a fight with you here. I am not saying that the many OEO you seem to have interacted with are NOT LEO's but Opinion Enforcement Officers. I have met a few LEO's that do encourage and have encouraged individuals to OC. I have also met some OEO's. I do acknowledge that I don't live in you local, but I have OC'd in Nevada several times without issues.

Also, know that many interactions occur each and every day that we hear nothing about, either the LEO didn't violate the rights of the person or the person did not make an effort to either know what their rights were or did not report it in a forum we frequent so we could see/hear about it. Primarily, we hear about those situations where rights are violated and opinions enforced rather than law.

Last edited:

turborich

Welcome! I was nervous about OC at first but now I OC almost everywhere I go. The guys here have a wealth of information that really helps us newbie's.

The Big Guy

I have run into, and posted on here about a Henderson Cop that when confronted by a woman complaining about my OC, told her that I was perfectly legal and that he wished more honest citizens would do so as it would make his job so much easier.

Now having said that, I suspect it is not "official" policy nor do I suspect it the norm, however my interactions here in Henderson has been very positive so far. All I'm saying is that for self-preservation you need to take with a grain of salt anything a cop tells you. Remember that ignorance of the law is no excuse for you, but the same does not apply to LEO and his job is to find something to bust you on.

TBG

Motofixxer

It's important to check with multiple sources for your information. Think of the topics you know about, do you know everything about it? Probably not, even if you think you do. Maybe your a local expert but do you know everything in relation to the next city or county? My guess is no, nobody can know everything. It's like going to a store and asking for a specific item. The first guy says no we don't have it. I never take his word for it. I ask someone else too. Because more often than not, another employee knows or seen it. If your looking for legal info that could be used to harm you, it's very important to make sure.