Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MT OC Report

Post MT OC Report

This is a thread where people whom live in MT or travelers through MT can post there daily open carry related experiences for all to see.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

I met a nice couple and their dog at the St Regis travel center last night, he was open carrying and had Oregon license plates. We sat and talked outside for a few minutes. I mentioned OCDO and he indicated that he knew about the site but was not a member. If you are reading this, it was nice to meet you and hope you had a good safe trip.

State patrol was also at the travel center and had no problems.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

OC'ed down in Missoula today.

-Costco
    -Target
    -Starbucks
    -Walmart
    -McDonalds
    -Mall

No issues.

It may be old, but I did open carry in Montana last summer so I'll post

The Sinclair station off of I 90 west of Missoula (the one with the truck stop) is OC friendly, met a sheriffs deputy there last July who talked to me about he missed the Model 10s his department issued 20 years ago. I was carrying my S&W Model 10 on a gun belt with an uncle mikes nylon left hand holster
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I open-carried into the sheriff's department in Butte to pick up my CWP. Got a nod from a deputy.

OC'd in the city hall building several times. Never had an issue.

OC'd within 10 feet of school grounds many times picking up my daughter and police have passed, no issues.

Liquor stores, Walmart, Hastings, Safeway, and various businesses have no problems at all with OC. Had to calm a checker once at Safeway, but the manager of the store was almost apologetic that I had to.

The only place in Butte unfriendly to OC are the banks. Been in almost all of them OC without any issues until their regional security toad (apparently they share one) decided he was going to ban all OC in banks, though it is legal to do so. Banks where they were happy to see me, despite OC, were suddenly chill and rude. I closed all my bank accounts with all my banks and operate only via postal or Safeway MOs now. If I ever have to go into Wells Fargo (business purposes for the family), I will stow my sidearm in my briefcase (luggage- and thus neither concealed nor OC). Their claim to be a federal building can go jump in 5 different kinds of illegal lakes.

OCd at the Subway in St Regis, boat launch on Montana Highway 200, and am open carrying in McDs in Ronan, MT. Carrying my .38 model 10 openly in a uncle mikes nylon. So far so good. People are willingly interacting with me and not even mentioning my OC piece. After lunch it's off to polson to check in to the vacation rental and gas up at the Sinclair. More to follow
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Super 1 foods in polson is friendly it seems

NRA Member

Legal OC in Exile day 2

Well got around today. Strapped on my wheelgun and went to an ATM in polson to get cash. Then I drove down to Missoula filled my tank at the Crossroads Sinclair and truck stop at the junction of I90 and US 93, went in to sportsmans warehouse on Reserve street to get an ccessory for a GPS, no problems there. Considered testing the Costco to see if they would let me in the food court, but decided not to. Met a friend in missoula at the river park on the Clark Fork on Orange St. He was OCing his Rock Island government size .45 talked for a little there, several MPD officers passed by and looked at us but never actually approached us. He went home, I poked around downtown, too many places to mention, no problems. Finally I OC d while eating lunch at 5 guys burgers before driving back to Polson

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Considered testing the Costco to see if they would let me in the food court, but decided not to.
    I have not had any issues at that Costco.

I opened carried at my neighbors home, chatted with him for a bit. Nice guy and the deputy sheriff. He was in uniform and was about to head out in his patrol car.

Does this count?

Back in missoula. Went OC to Mackenzie river pizza on reserve street. No problems there, then the to Town Pump (where I got some huckleberry soda, Yum!) also on reserve, then got a newspaper at Starbucks, no issues there (duh)

NRA Member

Well got around today. Strapped on my wheelgun and went to an ATM in polson to get cash. Then I drove down to Missoula filled my tank at the Crossroads Sinclair and truck stop at the junction of I90 and US 93, went in to sportsmans warehouse on Reserve street to get an ccessory for a GPS, no problems there. Considered testing the Costco to see if they would let me in the food court, but decided not to. Met a friend in missoula at the river park on the Clark Fork on Orange St. He was OCing his Rock Island government size .45 talked for a little there, several MPD officers passed by and looked at us but never actually approached us. He went home, I poked around downtown, too many places to mention, no problems. Finally I OC d while eating lunch at 5 guys burgers before driving back to Polson
    You? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8rnapyyRGw

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    He's no Steven Spielberg, but has a nice looking girlfriend.

No, not me.

I don't put gun stuff on youtube. Or on anything associated with my name......

However I did learn from a deckhand on the shadow (a lake tour boat) that he heard a "man with a gun call" describing a short white male in a red t shirt carrying a gun on US 93 around Safeway last night at 9 o clock (that's what I was wearing and where I was at that time) on the scanner last night. Whether a deputy actually responded I don't know, I got off the highway and on to a separate walking trail just after the safeway
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 07-01-2013 at 08:01 PM.

NRA Member

No, not me.

I don't put gun stuff on youtube. Or on anything associated with my name......

However I did learn from a deckhand on the shadow (a lake tour boat) that he heard a "man with a gun call" describing a short white male in a red t shirt carrying a gun on US 93 around Safeway last night at 9 o clock (that's what I was wearing and where I was at that time) on the scanner last night. Whether a deputy actually responded I don't know, I got off the highway and on to a separate walking trail just after the safeway
    The upload date along with the recent post of you saying you were in Missoula Sportsman is what queued my mind to the possibility.

I have not been listening to the radio, just had it on my fire channel for calls specific to me. Perhaps I should have been listening

The upload date along with the recent post of you saying you were in Missoula Sportsman is what queued my mind to the possibility.

I have not been listening to the radio, just had it on my fire channel for calls specific to me. Perhaps I should have been listening
    I don't even have a digital camera or voice recorder, all I have is a little micro casette recorder in my "go bag" in my car, that I keep in case I'm in an accident along with a disposable camera.

Still glad to know I'm not the only OCer in Missoula..

NRA Member

I OC at least a couple times a year in Missoula, usually into Famous Dave's BBQ, REI, Bob Ward & Sons, maybe into Wardens and Rockin Rudy's.
    Darren

Pass the popcorn

[QUOTE=EMNofSeattle;1954191] Considered testing the Costco to see if they would let me in the food court,

Testing?
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle
    Considered testing the Costco to see if they would let me in the food court,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes
    Testing?
    sometimes they don't let people carry in the stores, but some people do anyway and have no problems, and others are asked to leave. some warehouses like Missoula allow carry fine, others kick people out and cite "company policy" (a company policy that's never been actually shown in writing)

Whatever though, I decided to respect their private property and spend my money at 5guys for lunch
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 07-07-2013 at 11:28 PM.

NRA Member

Costco has in their terms when you sign up that no guns are allowed, I remember reading that when I signed up (several times since I let it lapse, and then got it again, a couple of times).

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCZ View Post
    Costco has in their terms when you sign up that no guns are allowed, I remember reading that when I signed up (several times since I let it lapse, and then got it again, a couple of times).
    There are no such terms listed in the membership agreement. If you find it, scan it and post it ill buy you a cookie and coffee.
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 07-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.

There are no such terms listed in the membership agreement. If you find it, scan it and post it ill buy you a cookie and coffee.
    +1
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

I went and pulled the current membership agreement, and there is no mention of it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCZ View Post
    I went and pulled the current membership agreement, and there is no mention of it in there.
    Which kinda begs the question, how can they exclude you from property which you pay them for the privelage to access for violating rules they never told you about?

But I know this has been discussed to death on other threads, that part though never made sense to me

NRA Member

I have been a member since the Price-Costco days (not continuously). I know (but cannot prove) that at one time it was in there; I distinctly remember reading it. Their processing now is pretty simple, but in the past there was a form with all the rules that you signed. Anyway, things do change, so if it is not in there currently, I am not sure how they could other than it still is private property. Apologies for making a mess of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast