Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Hopefully temporary problem at Food Lion

  1. #1
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803

    Hopefully temporary problem at Food Lion

    I was just shopping at Food Lion in Yorktown, the one in the same shopping center as the Autozone protest a week or so ago. The manager asked if I was almost done with my shopping to which I answered, "No I just got here.". He then asked me to place my firearm in my car and not bring it in the store. We then got into about a half hour conversation of all the topics and issues with OC/CC, Autozone, Sandy Hook, etc. He was personable but under the impression that the Food Lion policy was to allow local management to make the call on such issues.

    He did back pedal a bit by saying that he would contact corporate to discuss the issue. I gave him my phone number and email address to have him contact me. I told him that I have shopped there for 22 years and never had a problem before so I would be happy to take my business for the next 22 years to Farm Fresh or Kroger. I went to their website and submitted a question about their corporate policy. I mentioned VCDL/OpenCarry websites/communications and that while private property can ban weapons we can choose to not give them our business.

    Right after we shook hands and went our separate ways, about 10 feet from where we were standing (and the manager still was standing) an ex-Marine came up to me and asked what I was carrying. (FNP-45) He and I then got into another 10 minute conversation on how we want good guys carrying guns. He specifically re-stated the phrase, "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!". I was laughing inside because the manager was hearing all this and disproving his case that his customers might not want armed people around them.

    Hopefully we can clear this up quickly. The manager said that he had only seen two other people OC-ing there a young man and his wife (DJEEPER???) but I have seen a few more. It is just ironic that the Autozone protest happened a week ago and now Food Lion is an issue. I told the manager that I was at that protest and he attested that yes people from the protest came in and explained what was going on and were polite. So with all that he still is taking an anti position?

    <for Peter's benefit> The manager said that even he was a CHP holder.... ;-) I went into the arguments for OC over CC and that he didn't have much to fear from a properly holstered handgun. The name Plaxico Burress came up too.
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 12-22-2012 at 04:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    His position seems a bit strange, considering that a known (fake bearded) armed robber operates in his shopping center, and that the individual who stopped his most recent attempt has received such strong community support.

    Perhaps this manager is carrying his concealed handgun in spite of Food Lion policy, and hopes to successfully apprehend the aforementioned robber himself, and doesn't want any competition from armed LACs like yourself? Maybe he's looking for a better job?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpforme View Post
    <for peter's benefit> the manager said that even he was a chp holder.... ;-) i went into the arguments for oc over cc and that he didn't have much to fear from a properly holstered handgun. The name plaxico burress came up too.
    thank you!

  4. #4
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    His position seems a bit strange, considering that a known (fake bearded) armed robber operates in his shopping center, and that the individual who stopped his most recent attempt has received such strong community support.

    Perhaps this manager is carrying his concealed handgun in spite of Food Lion policy, and hopes to successfully apprehend the aforementioned robber himself, and doesn't want any competition from armed LACs like yourself? Maybe he's looking for a better job?
    He mentioned that he grew up here but just moved back about a year ago. So I am hoping that he just hasn't reacclimated to Virginia culture yet and will change his mind. The best way would be for Corporate to slam him down but if they allow local management to make the call our only hope is to convince him to change his mind.

    Luckily there are two food chains close by that haven't banned OC (yet) so I can shop at Farm Fresh and Kroger. The Food Lion is simply the closest one to my house.

    I went through this with Quaker Steak and Lube to no avail. I would hate to see more and more businesses go anti!!!!

  5. #5
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    This is unusual for a Food Lion, I would imagine the manager is stepping outside of Food Lion policy. Food Lion changes store managers like I change socks, don't be surprised if you see a new face there.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  6. #6
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This is unusual for a Food Lion, I would imagine the manager is stepping outside of Food Lion policy. Food Lion changes store managers like I change socks, don't be surprised if you see a new face there.
    You should show him the unfriendly list and tell him that what he is doing could put Food Lion on the unfriendly list. We would of course mention his name as the reason when the corporate offices are contacted.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  7. #7
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    His position seems a bit strange, considering that a known (fake bearded) armed robber operates in his shopping center, and that the individual who stopped his most recent attempt has received such strong community support. snip...
    does the faux beard itch much?

    wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hampton
    Posts
    86
    This is very odd. I carry at that same store all the time with no issues.
    3. Move thumb safety down taking gun off safety. Caution: The gun is now ready to fire. Be prepared for noise and recoil when pistol fires.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolcanoe View Post
    This is very odd. I carry at that same store all the time with no issues.
    Might be a new manager who is confusing "no guns" for employees when at work and "we follow state law" for customers.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    I bet Food Lion wishes that some legally armed citizen had a gun now! http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...56ca4907e.html
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  11. #11
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I bet Food Lion wishes that some legally armed citizen had a gun now! http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...56ca4907e.html

    I find it sadly ironic that if the management is neutral/anti that they usually see robberies as reasons to ban weapons. There is a cognitive dissonance that somehow robbers will obey a new gun ban policy even if they wouldn't obey laws against robbery! They somehow thing an invisible force field is created by a new antigun-policy that will repel further robberies. I ran into this kind of thinking at Quaker Steak & Lube in Newport News.

    BTW: I still haven't heard anything back from either Food Lion corporate nor the local manager.
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 12-28-2012 at 09:52 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member crossfireltd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    29

    Re: Hopefully temporary problem at Food Lion

    I open carry at my local Food Lion on New Market Rd. in the east end all the time without issue.


    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  13. #13
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfireltd View Post
    I open carry at my local Food Lion on New Market Rd. in the east end all the time without issue.


    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes I have OC-ed without issue at the three Food Lions near my house for the last 5 years.

    In many cases I got thank you's from other customers, and interest from cashier's with none being negative. I think that this is just a new manager (lucky me) and am hoping that corporate will straighten him out or that he can be convinced that banning firearms isn't the best method to achieve safety. I still haven't heard anything and since it happened right before Christmas it may take a week or two to hear back anything.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Virginia
    Posts
    77
    I've never had problems at my local Food Kitty. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and not a corporate policy change.

  15. #15
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    i have worked at Food Lion for several years. if he was a manager he probably forgot about you 10 minutes after you left. i would absolutely contact them again and find out for sure. make sure you talk to the store manager.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  16. #16
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803

    Food Lion issue SOLVED!

    I got a call from the manager today and he had contacted corporate and was told that properly hosltered firearms were not a problem and welcome to shop at Food Lion.

    He did go off on a tangent saying that if he saw someone carrying a rifle or shotgun into the store he might take exception but all in all a good conversation and the problem is solved.

    I talked to him a few minutes and was thinking about asking him to go to the range to bolster up his support if he was interested but he said that he already visits the Marksman and has some family property out in Wakefield that they shoot on.

    I told him that I would be happy to come back to Food Lion since I have been spending all my money at Kroger and Farm Fresh the last week or so. He did make a point to say that he hoped that I wasn't offended (probably a recommendation from corporate) and that he learned alot from our conversations and researching the issue. I don't know if that means he got schooled by corporate or not but a win is a win anyway you look at it.

    I chalk this up to a new & young manager and thankfully the "anti" (logic/2A) behavior was nipped in the bud. Have a happy new year everyone!

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    I got a call from the manager today and he had contacted corporate and was told that properly hosltered firearms were not a problem and welcome to shop at Food Lion.

    He did go off on a tangent saying that if he saw someone carrying a rifle or shotgun into the store he might take exception but all in all a good conversation and the problem is solved.

    I talked to him a few minutes and was thinking about asking him to go to the range to bolster up his support if he was interested but he said that he already visits the Marksman and has some family property out in Wakefield that they shoot on.

    I told him that I would be happy to come back to Food Lion since I have been spending all my money at Kroger and Farm Fresh the last week or so. He did make a point to say that he hoped that I wasn't offended (probably a recommendation from corporate) and that he learned alot from our conversations and researching the issue. I don't know if that means he got schooled by corporate or not but a win is a win anyway you look at it.

    I chalk this up to a new & young manager and thankfully the "anti" (logic/2A) behavior was nipped in the bud. Have a happy new year everyone!
    Well done!

  18. #18
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Food Lion issue SOLVED!
    Excellent!

    Well done!

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Many thanks to Food Lion for respecting the right to self-defense!!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,610
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Food Lon issue solved
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Many thanks to Food Lion for respecting the right to self-defense!!
    Does this mean that I don't need my Food Lion "Carry Permit" any more? ............... yes, I have such.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Does this mean that I don't need my Food Lion "Carry Permit" any more? ............... yes, I have such.
    Is that like a MVP card?
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  22. #22
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    I got a call from the manager today and he had contacted corporate and was told that properly hosltered firearms were not a problem and welcome to shop at Food Lion.

    He did go off on a tangent saying that if he saw someone carrying a rifle or shotgun into the store he might take exception but all in all a good conversation and the problem is solved.

    I talked to him a few minutes and was thinking about asking him to go to the range to bolster up his support if he was interested but he said that he already visits the Marksman and has some family property out in Wakefield that they shoot on.

    I told him that I would be happy to come back to Food Lion since I have been spending all my money at Kroger and Farm Fresh the last week or so. He did make a point to say that he hoped that I wasn't offended (probably a recommendation from corporate) and that he learned alot from our conversations and researching the issue. I don't know if that means he got schooled by corporate or not but a win is a win anyway you look at it.

    I chalk this up to a new & young manager and thankfully the "anti" (logic/2A) behavior was nipped in the bud. Have a happy new year everyone!
    Good job, Jim
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    The manager said that he had only seen two other people OC-ing there a young man and his wife (DJEEPER???) but I have seen a few more.
    No brother that's me! I usually have my 10 month old on one hip and my 1911 RIA on the other hip. I have never once been confronted at that store. I used to live in Falcon Creek Apartments, right there on Magruder until today actually. I was in that store yesterday and did not have any problems. Let me know what you hear from the store. I am PCSing to Texas for about 6 months then I will be back in Virginia.

    Stay safe!
    Zak

  24. #24
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Kee View Post
    No brother that's me! I usually have my 10 month old on one hip and my 1911 RIA on the other hip. I have never once been confronted at that store. I used to live in Falcon Creek Apartments, right there on Magruder until today actually. I was in that store yesterday and did not have any problems. Let me know what you hear from the store. I am PCSing to Texas for about 6 months then I will be back in Virginia.

    Stay safe!
    Zak
    In reply #16 they already replied and reversed the managers anti opinion. :-) I was in there yesterday too no issues.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    In reply #16 they already replied and reversed the managers anti opinion. :-) I was in there yesterday too no issues.
    Well damn. I was on a flight and it must not have loaded all the posts :/ now I feel retarded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •