Thread: Vehicle mounted pistol holsters

Vehicle mounted pistol holsters

In Michigan it is legal to mount a pistol holster in a vehicle and essentially open carry. I am driving to Florida and am concerned about carrying in the vehicle along the way. It seems there is no real discrete information about this. I have a CPL that is reciprocal with some 30 states including those enroute to FL.

NC allows the type of vehicle rig you have...
    check the sticky for where you may not OC...

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Sailor View Post
    In Michigan it is legal to mount a pistol holster in a vehicle and essentially open carry. I am driving to Florida and am concerned about carrying in the vehicle along the way. It seems there is no real discrete information about this. I have a CPL that is reciprocal with some 30 states including those enroute to FL.
    Welcome to OCDO Scot.

There is plenty of information available to you, but there is no AAA type service that will map out a route with applicable state laws noted. That is what everyone should do for themselves, rather than take another's word for it.

You might start your quest here regarding OC:
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

Florida and SC are not OC friendly.

Reciprocity of permit:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Moderator / Administrator
    I'd like to do an article on such vehicle holsters - can folks post to photos of their vehicle holsters?

You could try a search, there has many threads with pics. I think it would be more comfortable with an ankle, shoulder, or a thigh holster. Otherwise those cheap nylon holsters with the removable belt clip could be easily attached to a dash or center console.
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 12-29-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

An easy way to do this would be to use a female adapter for the SERPA system. Then you can move the gun from your belt and mount it in the car all without having to remove it from the holster

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'd like to do an article on such vehicle holsters - can folks post to photos of their vehicle holsters?

I mounted the Springfield XD factory holster (friction retention only) in my car. The "bracket" is a piece of deck strap from Home Depot, fed through the belt loop and bolted to the plastic under-dash with small hardware. I used some quilt batting wrapped in duct tape to keep it from rattling on the bracket. I've also put my full-length RIA 1911 in that holster, and it works well enough - obviously not terribly secure, but the angle of the holster keeps it in place.
    Last edited by 4angrybadgers; 12-27-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: thumbnails instead of full-size pics :o

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Here's a previous setup I had in my STI.

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    I use a SERPA Quick Disconnect. It allows my firearm to stay holstered. I have adapters for a couple of my guns so I can just hook up either one.Attachment 8671Attachment 8672Attachment 8673Attachment 8674Attachment 8675
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Another removable mount holster system is here: http://www.tacticalholsters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    Here's a previous setup I had in my STI.
    That's exactly how I was talking, now if only I was a righty so that I could actually use that type of a setup in the US.

I used an Uncle Mike's ambidextrous holster. Then I had a 2" wide nylon strap made with side release buckles. I just wrapped it around my console in my GMC Sierra pick up. It works ok, but the strap isn't very secure. Otherwise, the holster itself will work great.

I just pulled the center seatbelt out long, buckled it and hung my Fobus paddle holster on it. The Fobus came with the gun and I use a different holster for OC. Hangs right on the front of the seat in plain view and easy reach with the center console up or down in my Ram 1500.

But now that I have my CHP I no longer have to disarm in the truck.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers