• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle mounted pistol holsters

Scot Sailor

In Michigan it is legal to mount a pistol holster in a vehicle and essentially open carry. I am driving to Florida and am concerned about carrying in the vehicle along the way. It seems there is no real discrete information about this. I have a CPL that is reciprocal with some 30 states including those enroute to FL.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In Michigan it is legal to mount a pistol holster in a vehicle and essentially open carry. I am driving to Florida and am concerned about carrying in the vehicle along the way. It seems there is no real discrete information about this. I have a CPL that is reciprocal with some 30 states including those enroute to FL.

Welcome to OCDO Scot.

There is plenty of information available to you, but there is no AAA type service that will map out a route with applicable state laws noted. That is what everyone should do for themselves, rather than take another's word for it.

You might start your quest here regarding OC:
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

Florida and SC are not OC friendly.

Reciprocity of permit:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Motofixxer

You could try a search, there has many threads with pics. I think it would be more comfortable with an ankle, shoulder, or a thigh holster. Otherwise those cheap nylon holsters with the removable belt clip could be easily attached to a dash or center console.

Last edited:

Aknazer

An easy way to do this would be to use a female adapter for the SERPA system. Then you can move the gun from your belt and mount it in the car all without having to remove it from the holster

4angrybadgers

I'd like to do an article on such vehicle holsters - can folks post to photos of their vehicle holsters?

I mounted the Springfield XD factory holster (friction retention only) in my car. The "bracket" is a piece of deck strap from Home Depot, fed through the belt loop and bolted to the plastic under-dash with small hardware. I used some quilt batting wrapped in duct tape to keep it from rattling on the bracket. I've also put my full-length RIA 1911 in that holster, and it works well enough - obviously not terribly secure, but the angle of the holster keeps it in place.

Last edited:

decklin

Hotrodvw

I used an Uncle Mike's ambidextrous holster. Then I had a 2" wide nylon strap made with side release buckles. I just wrapped it around my console in my GMC Sierra pick up. It works ok, but the strap isn't very secure. Otherwise, the holster itself will work great.

2012-09-29134944.jpg

2012-09-29134956.jpg

Maine Expat

I just pulled the center seatbelt out long, buckled it and hung my Fobus paddle holster on it. The Fobus came with the gun and I use a different holster for OC. Hangs right on the front of the seat in plain view and easy reach with the center console up or down in my Ram 1500.

But now that I have my CHP I no longer have to disarm in the truck.