• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new sidearm

metz

hey guys, as some as u know i started in this forum with a taurus 24/7 pro 9mm, though i was satisfied with the gun i soon after i sold it and bought a taurus 24/7 pro ds (40 cal) the gun handled great, with a full mag it was well balanced, i liked the way it looked , recoil wasnt bad, but the one and only problem i had with the gun was the trigger pull...it was such i long pull it actually through me off while target shooting..i just couldnt get a good grouping under heavy fire( 8 inch group). thought it was me so handed the gun over to a long time friend and retired marine, his grouping were slightly better (6 inch group) he carries a fn 40 cal, but he to had complaints of the trigger pull, so it had to go..i now carry a glock 37 (45 gap).....AMAZING... this is my first glock as well as first time fireing a glock..thought i would have a issue with recoil and grouping under heavy fire but ...no..i maintained 3 inch group at 25 ft and 4 inch group under heavy fire...this gun is amazing ..im sold ...i'v carried ruger , smith & wesson, taurus, wittness, beretta, and last and certainly least high point... and although most on the list are great guns they all fall short in my opinion, the ruger p89 dc and the beretta 92 sf are the closest in comparison but they were both 9mm, i always heard very good things about glock, but always figured it was just word of mouth , you know how things misteriously get better or worse farther down the chain, plus the price tag always kept me at bay, but trust me its worth every penny. what is everyone elses opinion/experiance with there choice of handgun ?

Bruster

I personally like the smith and Wesson M&P 40. Great shooting gun with a great feel to it. I would like to get some stippling done on it but nothing major.

metz

I personally like the smith and Wesson M&P 40. Great shooting gun with a great feel to it. I would like to get some stippling done on it but nothing major.

does the m&p have a grip safety or is that the XD im thinking of? heard bad things about the grip safety's, mainly told u have to have a hard grip on the gun in order to fire?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
does the m&p have a grip safety or is that the XD im thinking of? heard bad things about the grip safety's, mainly told u have to have a hard grip on the gun in order to fire?

My two most oft carried firearms have grip safeties. No issues. I don't even know of issues with any firing grip. Can you please cite these issues, as this affects my daily life, please!

But it is the XD series that also has a grip safety, not the modern M&P.

I carry a Springfield Armory XD(s) when I'm not carrying my Kimber Custom Covert 1911.

Or one of my .45 revolvers, depending on the occasion.

metz

My two most oft carried firearms have grip safeties. No issues. I don't even know of issues with any firing grip. Can you please cite these issues, as this affects my daily life, please!

But it is the XD series that also has a grip safety, not the modern M&P.

I carry a Springfield Armory XD(s) when I'm not carrying my Kimber Custom Covert 1911.

Or one of my .45 revolvers, depending on the occasion.

just heard these things from freinds or in a discussion with random people about guns(my wife hates when i stop a stranger to talk about his gun) the most i'v heard is under fast draw/heavy fire situations the grip safety the safety doesnt depress fully and doesnt allow u to fire till u fully depress the safety, i'v never owned a gun with a grip safety so i cant confirm nor deny these claims, but i always take info into consideration and do my best to research these claims before purchasing the gun, but nothing has surfaced in my search

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
To be clear, don't give it a second thought.

The grip safety is a design over a hundred years old. It works extremely well. For it not to work, your grip would have to be so bad you wouldn't have hit anything anyway.

1911's are carried by an extremely large percentage of carriers, and probably close to a majority of instructors.
Springfield Armory XD's are extremely popular, and a modern design that wouldn't have a prayer in a litigious society if it was a liability.
The UZI is still one of the finest submachine guns on the planet. It, too, has a grip safety.

Glock 1st fan

hey guys, as some as u know i started in this forum with a taurus 24/7 pro 9mm, though i was satisfied with the gun i soon after i sold it and bought a taurus 24/7 pro ds (40 cal) the gun handled great, with a full mag it was well balanced, i liked the way it looked , recoil wasnt bad, but the one and only problem i had with the gun was the trigger pull...it was such i long pull it actually through me off while target shooting..i just couldnt get a good grouping under heavy fire( 8 inch group). thought it was me so handed the gun over to a long time friend and retired marine, his grouping were slightly better (6 inch group) he carries a fn 40 cal, but he to had complaints of the trigger pull, so it had to go..i now carry a glock 37 (45 gap).....AMAZING... this is my first glock as well as first time fireing a glock..thought i would have a issue with recoil and grouping under heavy fire but ...no..i maintained 3 inch group at 25 ft and 4 inch group under heavy fire...this gun is amazing ..im sold ...i'v carried ruger , smith & wesson, taurus, wittness, beretta, and last and certainly least high point... and although most on the list are great guns they all fall short in my opinion, the ruger p89 dc and the beretta 92 sf are the closest in comparison but they were both 9mm, i always heard very good things about glock, but always figured it was just word of mouth , you know how things misteriously get better or worse farther down the chain, plus the price tag always kept me at bay, but trust me its worth every penny. what is everyone elses opinion/experiance with there choice of handgun ?

There is a reason its one of the top selling firearms for LEO and you nailed it. Though others compare in various forms and fashion the glock has staying power among its followers. I have had my Glock 22 for 17 years. Yearly qualifications, a few shootings and thousands and thousands of rounds later I still have everything it came with. Original spring orginal barrel original everything and no sign of a problem yet.

Glock 1st fan

what is everyone elses opinion/experiance with there choice of handgun ?

Well It depends on what your asking. I started my career out with what in my opinion (And only my opinion here guys so breathe) and that was a smith and wesson model 681 distinguished service revolver. Now I have shot many a revolver and to me most of them just dont feel right. I just feel like I am holding an inferior firearm. But with the 681 its a heavy duty frame. Its large and well guys you have to admit we love intimidating looking firearms. It can and will win many fights if people see you have the bigger firearm then they do (Even if its really the same caliber they just dont know LOL.) It shoots smoothly and I can hit target groups with it I could never hit with any semi auto. As a matter of fact I am now the proud owner of one now and its my crown jewel.

Now when you ask about deringers (Cant spell that right now sorry guys) I dont have an opinion.

Semi Autos I first went in to it with the Taurus knock off of the 92sf Berrreta. I loved the way they looked but well it was a 9mm. I just could not get it down to the way I wanted it and I considered getting the Smith and Wesson 4026 which is what the local police carried. Well I just did not like it for a duty weapon because of my research and it being an open slide it allowed some room for potential problems so I researched the glock 22 and fell in love with it instantly. I bought it and took it out shooting and despite not as accurate with it as I am the 681 revolver it has proven to be the most reliable firearm I have ever owned. Never a pit in the barrel despite an estimated over 10,000 rounds through it in 17 years and never once a jam or stove pipe. It has proven highly reliable and highly accurate despite the tremendous amount of demand I have placed on it. So I am die hard glock from the experience i have had with it :)

Firearms Iinstuctor

There is a reason its one of the top selling firearms for LEO and you nailed it. Though others compare in various forms and fashion the glock has staying power among its followers. I have had my Glock 22 for 17 years. Yearly qualifications, a few shootings and thousands and thousands of rounds later I still have everything it came with. Original spring orginal barrel original everything and no sign of a problem yet.

You really should change out your recoil spring assembly.

No sign of a problen yet and you do not want one went you can't afford it.

Cheap easy to do and good insurance that your gun well keep on functioning when you need it.

Glock 1st fan

You really should change out your recoil spring assembly.

No sign of a problen yet and you do not want one went you can't afford it.

Cheap easy to do and good insurance that your gun well keep on functioning when you need it.

True I need too. Ill get with the departments armorer (However thats spelled) and check in to it.

okiephlyer

I moved to Glock from a Ruger P89DC. Glock's are easy to work on, parts are plentiful and not very expensive (if you ever need them). If you want an easy self help project that doesn't entail a lot of $$$, try the 25 cent trigger job.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/
As to the grip safety issue, what an instructor showed me was what he had seen on a lot of first time gun owners. In a hurry, they would grab the grip low and not get their hand fully up on the safety. So basically it is operator error.

Firearms Iinstuctor

True I need too. Ill get with the departments armorer (However thats spelled) and check in to it.

When I was an armorer for a 500 man department we tried to change out the recoil springs at around 3000 rounds.

Most likely they will go a lot more rounds then that and many have I had one with well over 6000 rounds and still going strong, but for a few bucks it cheap insureance.

What Glock was finding that when one uses a weapon mounted tact light one has to change the recoil spring more offten because the tack light changes the recoil pluse and a strong spring is needed to funtion properly. Thus we changed the recoil springs around the 3000 round mark.

That is one of the reasons they changed the recoil springs system in the Gen 4 models.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I moved to Glock from a Ruger P89DC. Glock's are easy to work on, parts are plentiful and not very expensive (if you ever need them). If you want an easy self help project that doesn't entail a lot of $$$, try the 25 cent trigger job.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/
As to the grip safety issue, what an instructor showed me was what he had seen on a lot of first time gun owners. In a hurry, they would grab the grip low and not get their hand fully up on the safety. So basically it is operator error.

I carried a P89 for around 17 years on the job was a ruger armorer. I saw hundreds of thousands of rounds shot throught P89s They are a great pistol never broke just keep on going.

The P93s we had were a differant story we had all kinds of problems with them, They are the reason my department switched from Rugers to Glocks.

metz

thanks for all the reply's, i realy enjoy hearing others opinions and pro's/cons of there past/present firearms. please continue to post..and if anyone has any suggestions for a small backup gun i would apreciate it, i was using a old 22 cal snub revolver but have since sold it due to gunsmiths advice that it was close to the end of its service life and would be cheaper to just buy new, iv looked at a 9mm diamondback,ruger lc9,but havent found something that speaks to me. needs to be small enough to fit in my pocket and its just personal prefferance but im not a fan of 25,380,22 short, 32..fyi...thanks in advance

glock27OKC

I own a ruger LC9 and its a great gun. Small package but a 9mm round. Mine is the Lasermax model but it still is pretty small in size. I like the diamondbacks too but if I was picking between the two it would be the ruger. It feels really nice and Talongrips makes an awsome aftermarket grip for it.