• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sir, are you a police officer?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
1005 pm Seatac airport baggage carousel #2

I'm waiting with my son who has arrived from NYC for his baggage. We are standing off to the side (as I usually do) till the baggage starts moving. A lady comes near and asks if I am a police officer to which I smile and reply "no ma'am." I'm just one of the many private citizens here in Washington who carry for protection. The usual questions flow back and forth; they let you carry like that, what do you mean no license is required? You'd never see that in NY.... We talked about the past few weeks and shootings and my thoughts, their thoughts. A few other people have listened in and give their input and at this point no one is upset by it, except for one guy who this whole time has a disgusted look on his face. He asks the question of what if someone took it from me when I wasn't looking to which my son speaks up and says that's why we stand like we do so we can see each others back, so no one can just sneak up on my dad. Turns out he is a cop in NYC, who IMHO is anti-gun for citizens & clearly dislikes Open Carry.

The ladies and I chat a bit more about the licensing requirement for Washington, then the luggage starts to arrive and we make a break for the bags.

Overall a good OC discussion with the passengers and NO interaction with the Port Police....

Jeff Hayes

I'm waiting with my son who has arrived from NYC for his baggage. We are standing off to the side (as I usually do) till the baggage starts moving. A lady comes near and asks if I am a police officer to which I smile and reply "no ma'am." I'm just one of the many private citizens here in Washington who carry for protection. The usual questions flow back and forth; they let you carry like that, what do you mean no license is required? You'd never see that in NY.... We talked about the past few weeks and shootings and my thoughts, their thoughts. A few other people have listened in and give their input and at this point no one is upset by it, except for one guy who this whole time has a disgusted look on his face. He asks the question of what if someone took it from me when I wasn't looking to which my son speaks up and says that's why we stand like we do so we can see each others back, so no one can just sneak up on my dad. Turns out he is a cop in NYC, who IMHO is anti-gun for citizens & clearly dislikes Open Carry.

The ladies and I chat a bit more about the licensing requirement for Washington, then the luggage starts to arrive and we make a break for the bags.

Overall a good OC discussion with the passengers and NO interaction with the Port Police....

Hopefully the NY Cop was only here for a short stay.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Did you invite him for coffee???

hermannr

Just not past the security check point. As for the NY cop..there are quite a few NY cops on the SPD. Some from WDC too. Found out the last time Seattle was advertizing in both cities for cops that wanted to move,

IMHO: it is what the guy grew up with, and teh propaganda he was fed. I think most are trainable...the ones that are not need to be sent back east.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Cool...I did not know that one could carry in the baggage claim area... I assumed the TSA would have shut-down the whole airport, including baggage claim area......

TSA only has authority past their checkpoints. The rest belongs to the airport and state and local laws.

My state laws forbid concealed carry on the grounds of a public airport. We must open carry if we are armed in the non-secured areas of our public airports. At our private airports, we can do whatever we want, of course.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I'm not surprised Bill that a NYP officer wasn't happy with your carry.

I was asked at the Baggage claim one time at SeaTac airport, "What department are you with", I have a feeling he was an officer from another state who wasn't too pleased with my carry either, yet none of the other "civilians" had a problem with it.

LkWd_Don

Sounds like a good educational experience for them, too bad the one cop is so closed minded that he has to be disgusted.
- have a good holiday :)

Bat

That NYC cop probably would be the first to suggest that if you are too open-minded that your brains will fall out. LOL

A shame that some like that are so closed-minded that they have to vomit to take a dump.